CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-16-2006, 02:30 AM   #11
Daniel Schmieding

Profile:
For not being a sprinting competetor and not being chased, 12.8s is a great time for you. I ran constant 11's throughout my high school years when timed by myself, but 10.6 when being chased. Makes a difference.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:21 AM   #12
Scott Kustes

Profile:
D*mn James, 10.24!! My best ever was a 10.9.

Look at all of us old people reminiscing on our glory days of high school.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:44 PM   #13
Brian Degenaro

Profile:
You also have to take into consideration that there's a difference between the 100yd and the 100m dash, approximately 33 feet and about 1 second. Not knocking the time it's just that people don't take the difference into consideration.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:33 AM   #14
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Oh yeah Brian...didn't notice that he said 100yd. Still a fast time.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:33 AM   #15
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
my daughter unofficially ran a 10.2 in the 100yd dash last night (no spikes, no blocks on an all weather track)

She first ran a ~14s 100yd warmup and then bet me a dinner of her choice if she ran in the 10s.

I agreed to the bet as neither of us had any idea what she could do and I figured it was an easy and cheap way for me to get her to have some intensity in her workout without pushing her...:pepper: (she showed me...:bleh0000:)

she has an extremely explosive start (like 3 steps to maximum velocity...)

what exercises could she do to improve her speed?

currently she plays goalie for a soccer club
Old 10-24-2006, 10:42 AM   #16
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Dang. She plays goalie?

What exercises? Umm, sprint more? Hard to comment on her technique without footage.

Just the typical lower body lifts: lunges, any single leg work, plyo. Maybe do running while wrapping a bungee cord and having some hang on. Downhill sprinting. Sled pulls. Fashion a rope harness and have her pull a sled with weigh; very similar to the bungee pull.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:47 AM   #17
Daniel Schmieding

Profile:
Add resistence. Weight vest or ankle weights. You can also get a bungie and wrap it around her stomach (some padding please). Be holding the handles behind her, so know she's dragging you along.

Sounds like her start is already good, otherwise I would recommend running short hills.

To improve her technique (and time) through the rest of the race, really focus on form. Eyes locked on the finish line, the rest of the body at a nice diagonal slant (like a gymnastics lunge). This is the hardest part for many naturally fast sprinters, and it's what makes the difference between getting faster toward the end, or getting slower.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:52 PM   #18
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
thanks for the tips. :biggrinthumb:

Daniel, one thing I noticed last evening is that she did go slower at the end but I don't recollect if her body was inclined or more vertical.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:21 PM   #19
Jeff Haas

Profile:
Do not under any circumstances put ankle weights on her..all that does is mess up the mechanics and is asking for disaster and injury If she ran a 10.2 hundred, that's world class fast. Are you sure you didn't have a fast thumb on the clock?.If not get her a top notch coach and you sure won't have to pay for college,
Old 10-25-2006, 08:26 PM   #20
John Hitchcock

Profile:
i agree with jeff haas on this one. last year (sophmore) my best time was an 11.2 in the valley oak league championships. i got beat by a 10.9 and an 11.0 im not saying ur daughter didnt run it in 10.2 but if she did i need to use that as my motovation for this next comin track season.....but get that girl a coach shes goin places with that speed