CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-08-2005, 10:40 AM   #1
Tony Young

Profile:
How many (percentage)of your clients start and drop out?

I'm thinking it's pretty low. People who even start this are a different bunch and once the bug bites I gotta think most keep coming back. A couple of mine have had to lay off for 2-3 weeks, came back and are even more dedicated. For most workout/trainee combinations 2 weeks off would be the end of it.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:00 PM   #2
Mikki Lee Martin

Profile:
A very small percentage drop out. Usually we find that those that do, only came one time.
We are now instituting a four Private lesson minimum to start- to give each client personal attention and find their starting point. In addition we post four scaled versions of every class workout.
Intuitively I feel that these one timers are mostly people who are just not the type to drive themselves to success and it is probably best that they find a program more suited to their goals.
Really What we ( all CrossFitters) are doing is spectacular, not everyone is ready for that.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:18 AM   #3

Profile:

Our retention rate is uber-high. Like Mikki says, the one-timers tend to be the ones we lose, but they also tend to be the ones who wouldn't do well in that setting anyway. We give a week free to all potential clients to really let them get a taste, since, as we all know, it's so different day to day and a single session rarely does CrossFit justice, particularly for the skeptical (which seems to describe most first-timers). That also lets them get a better sense of the community, which for most people is a completely foreign experience in a gym (and sometimes universally).

We've rarely had long timers disappear, and when they have, it's been due to them moving away or some kind of serious life-altering problem. Our clients tend to be loyal nearly to a degree of cultishness, which is fortunately more flattering than unnerving.

You just have to seriously put the love on your folks, particularly the new ones right from the start, make them feel welcome, comfortable and capable, and if they don't get and love it pretty quickly, they probably aren't the type who ever would anyway.