CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-03-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
We wanted a chalk stand like the one pictured here: http://spln.imageg.net/graphics/prod...p1952171dt.jpg (work family safe), but we were unwilling to pay the $150-$300 that stands like this go for. I had a flange and some pipe left over from making our pull-up bar so I decided to make my own.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/34913.jpg
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/34914.jpg

I bought one more flange for the other end of the pipe and used some plywood I had lying around. We then purchased a plastic planter from the hardware store and drilled holes for the bolts and put the whole thing together. It ended up costing around $20 for the extra parts, and you could make the whole thing for $30 or less if depending on what you use to actually hold the chalk (the planter we used cost $10). I was going to seal the holes that I drilled in the planter, but the bolts fit tightly in the holes and with the washers in place none of the chalk leaks. It is not as pretty as the professional version, but it does the same job.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:58 PM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Nice job Ahmik.

What I did for mine was to use the same plastic planter idea but to use a dirt tamper with a wood handle that I picked up at Ace Hardware for way cheap. Dirt tampers have a nice weighted base. I chopped off a little of the handle length and screwed the planter in place with a long lag bolt. A little white paint, an Avery label sticker and it was done.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/34946.jpg

(Message edited by lincoln on January 03, 2007)
Old 01-03-2007, 08:37 PM   #3
Dan Ensing

Profile:
Cool, I've been using a 5 gallon painters bucket to hold my chalk. All I have to do is visit the local Home Depot, buy some pipe/ wood/ flanges and I'm all set. Thanks!

Dan
Old 01-04-2007, 01:31 AM   #4
Adam Noble

Profile:
I'm using an old igloo cooler in the garage to hold chalk; seeing this I think I need to make a stand for it.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:02 PM   #5
Jeff Davis

Profile:
Thanks Adam, I think that is a good idea. I have an old cooler that is perfect for a chalk box.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:28 PM   #6
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
Lincoln,

I think that your use of the dirt tamper for the base makes it look a little more professional, it was probably a little cheaper as well.

(Message edited by Ahmik on January 04, 2007)
Old 01-04-2007, 10:39 PM   #7
Pierre Auge

Profile:
I'm going to start welding a salad bowl to a piece of square tubing and a base. List price $159.00

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...id=295&pid=670

Cost to manufacture? $28.00

$20.00 for the square tubing
$8.00 for the salad bowl

I swear I'm making a couple of these for the new gym!
Old 10-09-2014, 06:28 PM   #8
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Chalk Stand

This is an old old old thread, but it's the most appropriate one for me to reply to since one of its messages was the inspiration for my latest garage gym project.

With credit to Lincoln for the dirt tamper idea, I put this together over the last day.

* Dirt tamper from Home Depot - $30
* Can of blue spray paint - $4
* Blue utility bucket from Container Store -- $7 (I think)
* 3/8" lag bolt & 4 washers -- $4 or so

Total = ~$45

Really really happy with this project. The only thing that I might still do, although it may not really be necessary, is mount a thin sheet of plywood of the same dimensions as the bucket onto the post and then glue or screw the bucket onto the plywood. The bucket all on its own *might* be a little susceptible to tearing eventually, although I doubt it. The plywood would add a nice bit of rigidity to the assembly.

Oh, also, the bucket has little clamps on the side that clamp the lid on. I drilled three holes in both the side of the bucket and the lid and used zip ties to create a "hinge." When I want to close the bucket (maybe to keep humidity out or just keep it from spilling), all I have to do is hinge the lid over and clamp it shut. Very convenient.

- Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10690155_10152834283803738_2952193732209036145_n.jpg
Views:	2351
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	13598  
Old 10-11-2014, 06:05 PM   #9
Rob Bousquet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
This is an old old old thread, but it's the most appropriate one for me to reply to since one of its messages was the inspiration for my latest garage gym project.

With credit to Lincoln for the dirt tamper idea, I put this together over the last day.

* Dirt tamper from Home Depot - $30
* Can of blue spray paint - $4
* Blue utility bucket from Container Store -- $7 (I think)
* 3/8" lag bolt & 4 washers -- $4 or so

Total = ~$45

Really really happy with this project. The only thing that I might still do, although it may not really be necessary, is mount a thin sheet of plywood of the same dimensions as the bucket onto the post and then glue or screw the bucket onto the plywood. The bucket all on its own *might* be a little susceptible to tearing eventually, although I doubt it. The plywood would add a nice bit of rigidity to the assembly.

Oh, also, the bucket has little clamps on the side that clamp the lid on. I drilled three holes in both the side of the bucket and the lid and used zip ties to create a "hinge." When I want to close the bucket (maybe to keep humidity out or just keep it from spilling), all I have to do is hinge the lid over and clamp it shut. Very convenient.

- Mark

My only concern would be the bucket cracking over time. We use regular old Lowe's plastic bucket but after a while it must get dried out by the chalk and the bottom cracks. Then it acts like a sifter, every time you pick it up it leaves a line of chalk under it. I switched them out with the metal pails they sell instead. We don't bang the buckets around so I don't think it is from abuse.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:23 AM   #10
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bousquet View Post
My only concern would be the bucket cracking over time. We use regular old Lowe's plastic bucket but after a while it must get dried out by the chalk and the bottom cracks. Then it acts like a sifter, every time you pick it up it leaves a line of chalk under it. I switched them out with the metal pails they sell instead. We don't bang the buckets around so I don't think it is from abuse.
Yeah, that's a possibility. If it happens it happens.

My favorite color is blue, so I jumped at this blue bucket quickly when I saw it. If it cracks, I'm sure I could replace it with a small blue-painted metal pail.

- Mark