CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:39 PM   #11
Mike Mollin

Profile:
Re: Reducing Member Churn Rates

Thanks everyone! Lot's of great ideas and plenty to think about. Best of luck to all!
Old 09-24-2014, 04:09 PM   #12
Sean Smith

Profile:

Contracts in CrossFit aren't bad. 12 months as a base contract probably is though. Most people will have no problem with a 3 month contract. Even if you are doing month to month on autopay, most gyms have at least a 15 day notification period. That month to month pretty much turns into a 2 month contract.

If your members are leaving and trying to get out of their contracts, the contracts aren't the issue. It's the gym and coaching. If you run an awesome gym that is priced reasonably, you won't have people trying to get out of that contract.

My advice, drop the length of your contracts. The people saying you shouldn't do contracts are probably not small business owners. The affiliate owners who are on month to month and say you shouldn't do contracts really don't know how much money they will bring in next month. Swings on month to month can be up to 15%. Trust me, I'm a M2M guy and am switching to short term contracts soon. I get a lot of people who come for a month, take a few months off and want to get ready for a vacation, come back for a month before their vacation/wedding/reunion and then take the next few months off again.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:47 AM   #13
Miles Roberts

Profile:

From a client's point of view...

About the contracts: my affiliate does contracts, but we pay up front. If we lock in for a 12 or 6 month membership, we get a reduced rate, but we pay up front. So once I've paid for my 6 months, I'll continue to go for the 6 months, otherwise I feel like I'm wasting money. Conversely, if I was auto-paying MTM, and money gets tight for a couple months, and I'm analyzing my CC bill, and I see that recurring monthly charge, there can be an urge to get rid of it if it isn't a necessity.

About the facility: is it well equipped? Is there enough equipment to do every WOD posted by CF main? Or at least close? Is there enough equipment for all the athletes in a given class? Is it clean? Is it well organized and safe?

Is there athlete recognition? I follow a few boxes on Instagram, and one of them really goes out of their way to praise their athletes and show the world how good they're doing, and how proud they are of them, no matter the skill level.

Are the coaches truly dedicated to the athletes? During a class, are they ever doing anything but coaching? Socializing with athletes/other coaches? On their phones? Are they GOOD coaches as far as helping athletes with technique, and motivating them? Do any of them have egos to the point where they might belittle an athlete for their relative lack of strength or ability?

Do you have ongoing projects/challenges/competitions within the gym as additional motivation/community creating activities? Do you follow through with them? Do people get recognized for their contributions?

How about the programming? Do you have coaches try the workouts before the athletes do?

Just a few rambling thoughts...