CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-04-2005, 05:38 PM   #1
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
My wife is again having a go at me over my "unhealthy" eating habits. For most days of the week, I'm following the hand/eye method of the zone: two thirds plate of veges/fruit, one third lean meat, some nuts or avacado etc. The lunch box I take to work is pure zone.

But after coming back from the gym, when she sees me frying up a piece of meat to go with the rest of my zone breakfast, she says things like "That's against what the heart foundation recommends that you eat."

I reckon that's caca. I don't know the exact weight of the servings that I eat, but again I generally follow the zone serving size, ie. a piece of meat the size and thickness of the palm of my hand.

I am now down to about 12% body fat and feel terrific. Intuitively and based on my reading, I know that she is wrong, but is there anything I can point her to, to prove it?

I've asked her to show me where the Heart Foundation suggests that my diet is bad for my health, but nothing so far.

I suspect she just doesn't like the smell of cooking meat first thing in the morning.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:41 PM   #2
Carl Herzog

Profile:
"I am now down to about 12% body fat and feel terrific. Intuitively and based on my reading, I know that she is wrong, but is there anything I can point her to, to prove it?"

Well, you could point toward your waistline.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:12 PM   #3
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Here is the heart association recommendations:

http://www.americanheart.org/present...dentifier=1330

compare your eating to that and discuss with wife.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:25 AM   #4
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
The hidden danger of red meat is not necessarily the saturated fat, which your body can burn up (thru CF w/os). The bad part is if it raises your iron level in your blood. High iron corelates 4 times better to cardiac attacks than high cholesterol levels. There is a theory that high iron "binds" the cholesterol to your arteries and makes it harder. Also, women who have hystorectomies in their 20s (therefore no period -bleeding) have the same heart attack rate as men. There is a suggestion for men to donate blood, lowering your iron levels, and getting some heart attack prevention.

There are books on Iron - I suggest Googling the topic.

I've donated over 3 gallons of blood over the past 6 years.

Tom
Old 09-06-2005, 09:46 AM   #5
John Phipps

Profile:
Speaking of donating blood, I am going to do the "Tabata Something Else" tonight and donate blood tomorrow or the next day. I am sure there is a need. Here is a link to find the nearest location.

www.givelife.org
Old 09-06-2005, 12:20 PM   #6
Ronnie Ashlock

Profile:
Another risk from red meat: High arachidonic acid levels which encourage the production of bad eiconsoids. There's a good chapter relating to chronic disease in "The Zone." The bit about too much arachidonic acid and how it can hurt you is pretty illuminating. Cancer patients are usually taken completely off of red meat because of the havok it can wreak. The gist is, eating too much takes you out of the Zone. In the extreme, consuming too much red meat compromises one's health.

I'm a steak eater, myself, so I was kind of bummed to read this, but Sears has me pretty convinced. If you do eat red meat, eat the grassfed stuff - so you get the alpha lipoic acid you don't get in grain-fed meat.

Organ meats are the biggest AA culprits, but fatty red meat and egg yolks are high in this too.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:43 PM   #7
John Messano

Profile:
Eat Meat, Give Blood!

ok, not that I'm competitive or anything, but I've donated 6 gallons!, working on my seventh!! Once in a while, the ARC gives me a pin or a t-shirt and I get invited to their annual donor appreciation party. yeah, it rocks! more importantly, my 0 neg. blood is in demand.

i like donating every 60 days or so, on the third day of our 3 day-on WOD schedule, giving me a day to recover.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:22 AM   #8
Michael Hill

Profile:

Like anything else, eating all red meat all the time is bad. However, as long as you go grass-fed (and I mean really grass-fed, not the Whole foods/ Wild Oats definition where they are grass fed though at least 2/3 of their life cycle. The cattle MUST eat grass epsecially at the end. If they eat grains/corn for the last two weeks of their life then the fatty acid profile is almost identical to conventional beef) there is not much to worry about. The high levels of B-vitamins promote healthy homocystine (sp?)levels which are more indicative of cardiac disease that cholesterol or iron levels.

One note on the hystorectomy thing is that there are a lot of hormonal issues at play here, not so much an iron issue. If you want to play it safe make sure you take an iron-free vitamin if you take one at all.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:25 PM   #9
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
I've donated blood about 30 times, don't know what that is in gallons as we have moved out of the dark ages here in Australia. Hehe.

The American heart foundation's recommendations are set out below, all of which I follow except for one:

Eat a variety of fruits and vegetables. Choose 5 or more servings per day.

Eat a variety of grain products, including whole grains. Choose 6 or more servings per day.

Include fat-free and low-fat milk products, fish, legumes (beans), skinless poultry and lean meats.

Choose fats and oils with 2 grams or less saturated fat per tablespoon, such as liquid and tub margarines, canola oil and olive oil.

Balance the number of calories you eat with the number you use each day. (To find that number, multiply the number of pounds you weigh now by 15 calories. This represents the average number of calories used in one day if you're moderately active. If you get very little exercise, multiply your weight by 13 instead of 15. Less-active people burn fewer calories.)

Maintain a level of physical activity that keeps you fit and matches the number of calories you eat. Walk or do other activities for at least 30 minutes on most days. To lose weight, do enough activity to use up more calories than you eat every day.

Limit your intake of foods high in calories or low in nutrition, including foods like soft drinks and candy that have a lot of sugars.

Limit foods high in saturated fat, trans fat and/or cholesterol, such as full-fat milk products, fatty meats, tropical oils, partially hydrogenated vegetable oils and egg yolks. Instead choose foods low in saturated fat, trans fat and cholesterol from the first four points above.

Eat less than 6 grams of salt (sodium chloride) per day (2,400 milligrams of sodium).

Have no more than one alcoholic drink per day if you're a woman and no more than two if you're a man. "One drink" means it has no more than 1/2 ounce of pure alcohol. Examples of one drink are 12 oz. of beer, 4 oz. of wine, 1-1/2 oz. of 80-proof spirits or 1 oz. of 100-proof spirits.

Now Liz has leaped onto the fact that I don't eat six serves of grains every day. Seems to me to be a different argument.

She has also made more explicit her understanding of what is the appropriate level of red meat to eat, suggesting it is two to three serves a week. Has anyone else heard of such a recommendation?
Old 09-10-2005, 09:07 AM   #10
Michael Hill

Profile:

Matthew,

Here is some info to help you on the no grain, lean meat side.

Fiber, Cereals, and Grains

Aren't whole grains good sources of fiber, minerals, and B vitamins? How can I get these nutrients if I cut down or eliminate grains from my diet?

On a calorie-by-calorie basis, whole grains are lousy sources of fiber, minerals, and B vitamins when compared to the lean meats, seafood, and fresh fruit and veggies that dominate The Paleo Diet. For example, a 1,000-calorie serving of fresh fruits and vegetables has between two and seven times as much fiber as does a comparable serving of whole grains. In fruits and veggies most of the fiber is heart-healthy, soluble fiber that lowers cholesterol levels -- the same cannot be said for the insoluble fiber that is predominant in most whole grains. A 1,000-calorie serving of whole grain cereal contains 15 times less calcium, three times less magnesium, 12 times less potassium, six times less iron, and two times less copper than a comparable serving of fresh vegetables. Moreover, whole grains contain a substance called phytate that almost entirely prevents the absorption of any calcium, iron, or zinc that is found in whole grains, whereas the type of iron, zinc, and copper found in lean meats and seafood is in a form that is highly absorbed.

Compared to fruits and veggies, cereal grains are B-vitamin lightweights. An average 1,000 serving of mixed vegetables contain 19 times more folate, five times more vitamin B6, six times more vitamin B2 and two times more vitamin B1 than a comparable serving of eight mixed whole grains. On a calorie-by-calorie basis, the niacin content of lean meat and seafood is four times greater than that found in whole grains. Click here to read more about cereal grains.

For a more in depth arguement check out:

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles...%20article.pdf