CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:05 AM   #11
Tricia Magrini

Profile:
Re: Coaches working out during classes???

Off topic, but are you open in Toms River? We are there at least 6 times a year at my inlaws and would love a closer box to work out in! Shoot me a message please!
Old 11-17-2011, 07:38 AM   #12
Keith Martin

Profile:

If the workout is something with body weight stuff (except pull-ups) and they ask, I might consider it but, otherwise, I see it best to coach and correct instead of work in with them.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:37 AM   #13
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

Depends. If its a small group of friends who work out together in someone's garage but one has taken on the role of coach by way of experience and or education then that's cool. If you are a coach in a gym where people pay for the service of coaching and you are responsible for coaching that wod then what are people paying for? If I was paying 150 a month for the use of equipment I wouldn't be at that facility for longer than a month. You also shouldn't call yourself a crossfit gym because the concept is not hey we have rings you can use we are crossfit.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:46 AM   #14
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

If their allowed to workout while 'coaching' can I get paid for 'coaching' while working out?

I mean I do help form checks from time to time, and assist on a lift or two... I guess thats worth a free protein shake and shirt every now and then right? ;p
Old 11-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #15
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca Borawski View Post
Anyone who thinks they can workout while coaching is neither getting a good workout nor doing a good job coaching.
100% i cant believe this is even a serious question. No way should the coach be working out during a class he/she is coaching.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #16
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

My recommendation is to draft SOP's (standard operating procedures) for your trainer's (gym) ASAP! Get it written down what is expected of them to be trainer's at your facility: Proper arrival time, appropriate attire, preparation expectations, ins and outs of running the class, follow up with clients, etc.

You may even want to have a meeting where you lay out all the topics, and as a group decide the standards (you have 51% of the vote of course).

Getting your thoughts about how you want trainer's to perform on paper will help you evaluate new trainer's later on too. There's too much that goes into being a trainer to do it off the top of your head. Which reminds me, I recommend having an SOP to detail how a new person can become a trainer for you. What certifications, how much experience/intern time, expected duties (clean the bathroom), etc.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:36 AM   #17
Nick Walters

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R Cohen View Post
100% i cant believe this is even a serious question. No way should the coach be working out during a class he/she is coaching.
Agreed. Off the clock, getting a WOD in with a class they are NOT responsible for? Absolutely. Athletes like to see where they measure up to their coaches. But for a coach to work out while they are responsible for the technique, flow, and overall well-being of a class. Absolutely not. I am actually surprised this thread was started. No offense....
Old 11-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #18
Jeff Yan

Profile:

I've had members request that I do a WOD with them. Apparently sometimes that gets them excited when I join in.

Obviously, if I'm busy working out, I can't give them my full attention and they understand that, so I can only remember agreeing to workout with them on two occasions. Both times were with only 2, maybe 3, reasonably experienced students, and I felt comfortable that they could do the movements and loads with minimal supervision. One workout was Annie and the other one was a couplet of DLs and DUs.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #19
Martin Van Strien

Profile:

Thank you all for posting your responses. I know what should be done...just always like to hear and take into account what others have to say as well. I'm sure it seemed like a dumb question, but believe it or not...I have been to other boxes where you wouldn't be able to differentiate between a member and coach during a workout. Just makes me wonder....
Old 11-19-2011, 10:17 AM   #20
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Van Strien View Post
Thank you all for posting your responses. I know what should be done...just always like to hear and take into account what others have to say as well. I'm sure it seemed like a dumb question, but believe it or not...I have been to other boxes where you wouldn't be able to differentiate between a member and coach during a workout. Just makes me wonder....
It's not a dumb question at all. Even I had this same struggle in my own affiliate with a trainer, no matter how crystal clear I made the policy. Eventually, that trainer was let go -- but is at another affiliate and probably still working out in the class. This trainer simply would not acknowledge that it was unacceptable and thought they could keep an eye on everyone at all times. ("But I only lifted when others were resting. And the metcon was a really simple one. They knew what to do.") So, it happens out there, even when it is prohibited by the affiliate owner.

If you're paying money to have someone train you and instead they're training themselves at the same time? Complain to the affiliate owner immediately.

If you're an affiliate owner? Make clear your expectations and policies (and consequences) with your trainers and enforce them. Pop into the classes you're not teaching, unannounced, in the middle. Keep an eye on your business -- your name and reputation are attached to it.

(Disclaimer: These are, of course, my own personal opinions as an affiliate owner and not directives of CFHQ, which respects the right of each affiliate owner to operate their business as they see fit. Just speaking out as me.)