CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #51
Jeremy Maddox

Profile:
Re: No spotter for noob...bad idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Vechet View Post
but if one is not available, DO NOT COLLAR THE WEIGHTS. The logic behind this is that if you can't make a rep, you can just loosen up on one side, let the weight slide off, and that will automatically make the other side hit the ground while elevating the bar away from you.
Huh?

I'm not an expert (at anything) but the thought of taking 300-400 lbs and tipping it to one side to try to get the weight to purposely fall off scares the living sh** out of me. Have you ever been under heavy weight? Seems like a lot of uncontrolled twisting and torquing and an injury waiting to happen...

Also, I have done a lot of competitive benching in the past and the open grip was frequently used by many. Like anything else there is a right and wrong way to do it. Do people do it incorrectly and get hurt?...yes. Do people do closed grip bench presses and get hurt?...yes.

Let's not demonize an accepted technique that can work quite effectively for some because stupid people do stupid things and get themselves hurt in the process....

I prefer to bench with an open grip sometimes and unless you have actually used it enough to become proficient with it, are comfortable with it under heavy weight , and actually used it to lift heavy weight then you really have no idea how it impacts your lifts. When I was benching all the time it really made about a 20 lb difference in my bench. For me it was much more comfortable, and it feels very secure.

I don't bench much anymore and not anywhere near the weights I used to, but I use an open hand grip for shoulder presses all the time now. I know it's not the same concern, but i also use an open hand grip for pull ups in case anyone wants to point out what is wrong with that :stir:
Old 04-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #52
Jeremy Maddox

Profile:

A great man once said :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lantz View Post
Bench in the power rack with the pins set so the bar can touch your elevated chest but not your neck or face and use any grip you want.
Diplomacy at it's finest...
Old 04-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #53
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Maddox View Post
Huh?

I'm not an expert (at anything) but the thought of taking 300-400 lbs and tipping it to one side to try to get the weight to purposely fall off scares the living sh** out of me. Have you ever been under heavy weight? Seems like a lot of uncontrolled twisting and torquing and an injury waiting to happen...

Also, I have done a lot of competitive benching in the past and the open grip was frequently used by many. Like anything else there is a right and wrong way to do it. Do people do it incorrectly and get hurt?...yes. Do people do closed grip bench presses and get hurt?...yes.

Let's not demonize an accepted technique that can work quite effectively for some because stupid people do stupid things and get themselves hurt in the process....

I prefer to bench with an open grip sometimes and unless you have actually used it enough to become proficient with it, are comfortable with it under heavy weight , and actually used it to lift heavy weight then you really have no idea how it impacts your lifts. When I was benching all the time it really made about a 20 lb difference in my bench. For me it was much more comfortable, and it feels very secure.

I don't bench much anymore and not anywhere near the weights I used to, but I use an open hand grip for shoulder presses all the time now. I know it's not the same concern, but i also use an open hand grip for pull ups in case anyone wants to point out what is wrong with that :stir:
In terms of not collaring the weights, he is talking about if you are benching alone, and you fail on a rep. It is better to be able to tip the weights off of you than to die. Dying scares the living $h*t out of me more than tipping weights. Then again, I am someone who believes that no one should ever bench alone, even in a power cage.

Accepted technique for a competitive powerlifter who is benching in meets with the goal of winning is not the same as accepted technique for the average person who is benching with the purpose of gaining functional strength. The risk versus reward scale gets tipped. Benching with a thumbless grip is more risky.

And, if you'd like to argue with someone about using an open hand grip for pullups, maybe you should attend the CrossFit Gymnastics Cert with Jeff Tucker. Because he requires you to wrap your thumbs around the bar.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:48 PM   #54
Benjamin Grant

Profile:

Honestly, if you're working out at a gym the solo part isn't a big deal. Ask someone to spot you for the exercises that you need a spotter for. There really aren't too many in the crossfit routine. For benching, like everyone has said, you really should have a spotter. Ask a dude your ageish if he can spot you briefly. Most people wouldn't mind at all (pick someone that is clearly taking breaks between lifts). I've definitely been asked to do this tons of times, not a big deal especially considering how infrequently you'll be benching. Anyway, i'd just ask someone for the couple of lifts you need. For the olympics lifts you don't need a spotter, just work your way up
Old 04-29-2011, 08:16 AM   #55
Jeremy Maddox

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
maybe you should attend the CrossFit Gymnastics Cert with Jeff Tucker. Because he requires you to wrap your thumbs around the bar.
wow, i was just kind of being sarcastic with that one. I had no idea that anyone would actually object to pullups with an open grip. not to start another controversy, but what is the reason? sorry if this is highjacking the thread...

also would be curious to hear from anyone who has ever actually tried unloading a bar like that with more than 300 lbs to see how that worked out for them...
Old 04-29-2011, 08:54 AM   #56
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
wow, i was just kind of being sarcastic with that one. I had no idea that anyone would actually object to pullups with an open grip. not to start another controversy, but what is the reason? sorry if this is highjacking the thread...

also would be curious to hear from anyone who has ever actually tried unloading a bar like that with more than 300 lbs to see how that worked out for them...
I've done it with ~250 on my porch and had no problem. It's quite easy and not as scary as it sounds if nobody is around to have plates land on their feet. Now, I'm not benching 400, so can't speak to that, but I think if I ever get to that point I'll do what's necessary to find a gym full of strong people or buy that power cage I want (or maybe I'll build rails for my current setup. I just build rails for squatting. Works well).
Old 04-29-2011, 10:47 AM   #57
Benjamin Grant

Profile:

I've done it with 200 and i'm not a big dude. I mean there's definitely a threat to torquing your body, but compared to just having 200 lbs on your chest it's not that bad. And you really don't have to create a large angle to utilize gravity. Shift up half a foot and everything slides off one side then you can let bar go and it'll slip to weighted side. Not saying it's optimal but it's certainly an option
Old 04-29-2011, 01:00 PM   #58
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
wow, i was just kind of being sarcastic with that one. I had no idea that anyone would actually object to pullups with an open grip. not to start another controversy, but what is the reason?
Same as the bench press idea.

Risk versus reward. Thumbs around is safer.

Have you ever seen anyone fly off a pullup bar? I ask honestly because some people haven't. It isn't pretty.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:30 PM   #59
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Same as the bench press idea.

Risk versus reward. Thumbs around is safer.

Have you ever seen anyone fly off a pullup bar? I ask honestly because some people haven't. It isn't pretty.
Are you talking about just slipping off or actually getting some air?

I can see how it might be a problem if your doing a lot of reps, in a metcon for example,, but I do pull ups with all my digits on top of the bar. Granted I'm only doing weighted pull ups for now, so it's pretty much just straight up and down with no swinging.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #60
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

I had no fear of benching until I read this thread.

I'm not even going to search for videos, I'm sure they are terrible.

I remember that guy from the USC football team that was benching and lost his grip. He had a spotter and the bar still ended up on his throat. I just checked the interweb and it looks like he filed a lawsuit earlier this year stating that his spotter (an Asst Coach) struck the bar which put it off balance and resulted in the accident.

Novice question...If you keep the bar mid-chest, does that alleviate some of the concern of the bar ending up on your larynx?