CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
Steve Loeding

Profile:
Unlimited access to classes or set classes

I was wondering what people thought of either having unlimited access to classes for their athletes, or having a 2x, 3x / week at certain times. I've seen both. Not sure which I like better. I use the unlimited classes right now - it's easy to apply, gives athletes freedom to attend when they can. The downside is that sometimes I have 12 people in a class and other times 2-3. Also it seems that some people come 5 times a week and some can only make it 2 days.

Would it make sense to have unlimited, 2x, 3x, punch cards (I have a bunch of athletes who travel for business) ?

I know there are certain CrossFit affiliates who do things one way or another (CrossFit LA, CrossFit Central, Again Faster, etc).

Any ideas / experiences would be appreciated.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
Tommy Alfinito

Profile:
Re: Unlimited access to classes or set classes

Heres a long thread with some back and forth on open gym started by a guy not happy with his current gym.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=62231 wfs

Also there is a post in this section on prices a few people have commented on. I think the best way to go is to charge an unlimited membership. Charging a 2x and 3x a week pricing option is completely up to you. First of all you need make sure you can keep track of who is coming into class. Also if someone is coming in 4 times a week and paying for the 2x a week, it means you have to go up and call them out on in. I can see charging an unlimited and either a 2x or 3x, so there is only 2 pricing options. I have seen gyms charging a 1x, 2x, 3x, and unlimited which seems like a lot to keep track of.

As far as open gym goes, that is up to you because it involves you staying in the gym during those times whether someone shows up or no. I am going to open simply by offering class times, but I have decided to stay open to any suggestions or ideas from members. If they ask for open gym or more classes, then I will consider trying to make it work for everyone involved. Just so you know I am in the process of opening a box, so all of this information is in theory, not practice
Old 12-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
Andrew Bolliger

Profile:
Re: Unlimited access to classes or set classes

We think having 2x, 3x, and Unlimited will maximize your earning potential. I highly recommend a less expensive way to get people to try Crossfit (ie 2x a week) because they will like it and upgrade. It also keeps class sizes manageable and in 2 years I have never had to tell a client not to come to more than they paid for. We have no attendance tracking programs and just the integrity and relationships keep people honest about using what they paid for. I counseled a new local affiliate to start offerring 2x a week instead of just unlimited and they signed about 7 clients right away. I tell people that the 2-day a week program is for beginners only and you should graduate up within 3-4 months. In this way you can also get people with crazy schedules that do not allow they to be at the box all the time!