CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-07-2010, 10:37 AM   #1
Dane Peagler

Profile:
Olympic Lifts

Hello all,

I am relatively new to crossfit, about a month or so. I come from a pretty athletic background running, various sports, casual weight lifting, etc. So my times in the WODs aren't horrible, however I have noticed that a constant source of lost time is my o-lifts. I have squatted and deadlifted before (with horrible form nonetheless), but before crossfit had never done a single front squat, overhead squat, c&j, or snatch. That being said I am obviously want to improve my times and was wondering if anyone could give me a list of the o-lifts in the order that it is best to master them.

I figure, since I have so much work to do, that this might help to one step at a time get all of my o-lifts down. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
K. Dane Peagler
Old 07-07-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
Carlo Mattia

Profile:
Re: Olympic Lifts

Dane
- get to an affiliate do their on ramp or fundamental class or what ever they call it
- If that is not an option try to find an olympic lifting club
- If that is still a no go watch all the olympic lifting videos you can off the main site but nothing can replace the watchful eyes of a good coach
best of luck

FATIGUE MAKES COWARDS OUT OF MEN
Old 07-07-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

First off, welcome to the Forums. I hope you find what you're looking for here. Carlo makes a great point. Nothing helps more than a qualified coach.

However... if you're set on learning on your own. I highly recommend picking up Greg Everett's book on Olympic Weightlifting. Found here... http://www.cathletics.com/zen/index....roducts_id=155 (WFS) It's one of the best $35 you'll spend on a book.

If you can't swing the book, one think I'd recommend is that you nail your front squat (FS) first. It'll have the most carryover to both snatch and C+J. Do some light OHS to get used to the feeling of squatting with the bar overhead, but in terms of strength development, I'd say the combination of a FS and a high bar back squat (HBBS) will be more efective in my opinion. Some people will say that OHS has a direct carryover to snatches, and that's true, but I think snatch balances are better for that honestly and it's a lot easier on your wrists. Regardless, make sure really work on that shoulder flexibility. Work on some dislocates to get that shoulder flexibility for snatches and front rack specific stretching for cleans.

If you talk to any Olympic lifter, they'll tell you to learn the snatch first. Once you learn how to really extend and get fast under the bar, cleans become a lot easier. When learning jerks, work on presses, then push presses, then power jerks, then split jerks. Once you're comfortable on jerks, put the C+J together. Just my $0.02

Carlo fails to mention one other option. Take videos and post them in the Digital Coaching section. You can get some help on your form there. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Last edited by Jeremy Galo : 07-07-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #4
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

THe o-lifts are the snatch and the Clean & Jerk. TH eother you mentioned, while used by weightlifters, are not competed lifts.

I would second the advice to get coaching if there is some near you, though I think a weightlifting club would be more useful in this regard than CF.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
Mike McGee

Profile:

Jamie is correct. The other lifts, Front Squat and Overhead Squat are actually 2 of the 9 foundational CrossFit movements. These movements should be practiced, practiced, practiced, before moving onto other moves like the Snatch and Clean and Jerk.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"before moving onto other moves like the Snatch and Clean and Jerk"

I wouldn't go that far. I would say the hang, power and muscle snatch should be done before a snatch, but not a front squat, except as an assessment tool
Old 07-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post

I wouldn't go that far. I would say the hang, power and muscle snatch should be done before a snatch, but not a front squat, except as an assessment tool
I suppose I should clarify my stance a bit. I think before getting into heavy cleans, it's important to have a solid FS. Those that drop their elbows during a FS or push their butt back while catching a heavy clean are asking for a broken wrist if they don't get that taken care of prior. Obviously this issue is non-existent in the snatch or when doing a power version of either lift. As Jamie said, doing the hang and power variations would be a great place to start... particularly the combination of a hang power snatch or a hang power clean as they really develop finishing that second pull. However, once you start getting the hang of a power snatch/clean, you should focus on riding the weight down into a full squat so you can get comfortable if/when you have to catch a heavier weight lower (again, having a solid squat will help at this point)

Last edited by Jeremy Galo : 07-07-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:07 AM   #8
Mike McGee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post

Jamie, I wasn't saying that they shouldn't be done, just meant that other movements should be practiced and made comfortable with prior. But definitely, the hang versions are the way to start. I did all moves from the hang for probably the first year.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
Adam Rees

Profile:

Dane, i am right there with you. I am new to Crossfit (started in March) and have lifted weights for years but never really done any powerlifting type moves. Where do you workout? I saw on another post where you said that there isn't an affiliate close by, there are Crossfit gyms in Flowood and Ridgeland, i don't know if they are affiliates or not. Hopefully there will be a new affiliate in Clinton soon, if I have my way...
Old 07-30-2010, 01:50 PM   #10
Darla Powell

Profile:

They are the most intimidating aspect for me. I have just been practicing at home and watching the videos on CFJ.