CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-30-2005, 12:53 PM   #21
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
This doc must use a blast of gas to get off the toilet because apparently he has no muscle to use.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:53 PM   #22
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Lincoln, no see, he believes that when you're on a toilet, your legs are at the lowest, just at parallel, so you're not using only your knee ligaments and tendons to get you back up, you're actually engaging your muscles and using them to stand back up. Probably the only type of squats he ever does cause I can't tell a difference in size between his calves and his thighs.

Though one piece of advice he gave me I will take, even though I knew it before going to see him, "leg extensions are horrible for your knees," so I guess he's not *too* clueless.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:00 AM   #23
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
He's one of those docs who wants you to take your knees and lock them up in a safe until you are 90. If you don't use them you can't hurt them, right?
Old 12-01-2005, 07:31 AM   #24
Russ Greene

Profile:

I hurt my knee badly from running too much during spring track. The ortho asked me what other exercises I did. I said squats and deadlifts. He gave me a very concerned look. He said I better stop squatting and deadlifting if I ever want to run again. So, I say, I should stop doing the exercise(squats) that makes my knees feel and work better in favor of the exercise that hurt them in the first place (long distance running?) He gave me a really strange look after that comment. Over the next year I did very little running and a good deal of squatting and cleaning. The knee pain went away and when I started to run again I found I was actually faster than before. Not only that but I don't get sore muscles or joints from running most of the time, whereas I used to get sore from running every time.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:54 AM   #25
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Lincoln, pretty much. He does favor power walking though, I think.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:14 PM   #26
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Oh yeah, that's a big surprise. That's the only exercise prescription most docs know. Cardiac patient in need of exercise? That would be - power walking. Low back pain? Let's see - umm, power walking. Sore elbow? Yep, power walking! It's the modern cure-all for all exercise needs!
Old 12-02-2005, 01:36 PM   #27
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Josh,

Thanks for all the help everyone. I think I'm just gonna try a few experiments to see how my knee reacts to what (i.e., doing absolutely nothing for 2 weeks, overworking it for a matter of days then letting it rest for a couple, etc..).

If you don't mind try this version: take out the pistols, keep the below parallel squats. If you try this, get back to me and let me know how it went.

Ryan
Old 12-03-2005, 12:37 PM   #28
Josh Brehm

Profile:
How bout some tabata power walking sometime, that'd be one hell of a workout...

Ryan, I'll try that, thanks. For trying to get this tendon to heal, would it be better to do moderate to heavier weight and do more reps (101+ reps), or do as heavy as I can and do only 1-5 reps?
Old 12-03-2005, 04:43 PM   #29
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Josh,

Maybe I'm being overconservative here, but I was actually thinking air squats to start off with, especially if you suspect improper form might be part of the problem (did you buy that back issue of the CFJ that was recommended earlier by Dan, the one that has the squat clinic article?). Given the fact that your doc says its overworked, temporarily taking external weight out of the equation will not only allow you to safely work on perfecting your form, but will give your tendon the rest it needs, IMO.

Do also have the CFJ on rehab? Somewhere in that issue it suggests that you should feel better the day after working an injured body part. This is an excellent guide, IMO. If after a few days of air squats your knee's feeling strong, then it's probably OK to GRADUALLY reintroduce the weight.

The reason I suggested taking out the pistols is that two very experienced CrossFitters that I know of have experienced knee problems when doing them. Both had preexisting injuries. I'm not saying pistols are necessarily bad in and of themselves, but it's probably a hell of a lot easier to slip into bad form in the middle of a pistol than a squat.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 12-03-2005, 06:11 PM   #30
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Thanks for the advice Ryan. I just did some air squats with a mirror in front of me and to my side and did perfect form squats, and my knee was killing me, specifically above the knee, feels like the quadricep tendon.

I'm starting to think more and more that what I did was injure my quadricep tendon by doing pistols with worse than bad form (a couple times I tried doing them I had no control going down so I sort of bounced off of my knee then landed on my back).

I'm also wondering if maybe the doctor was wrong with his diagnosis, it feels like it's more than just an overworked tendon. I have what feels like a muscular knot in the Q tendon, don't think that that's a sign of overuse. I guess I'll have to find a qualified sports doc around here.