CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 11-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
Brian Lawyer

Profile:
Don't call me a Crossfitter....

...or I'll kick your a**. However, I just wanted to post a little testimonial.

This is me in October with no formal MMA training in over 8 years and zero conditioning:
Link deleted. You must indicate whether your links are Work and Family Safe (WFS)
That was me quitting at the beginning of the 2nd round just before I layed down in the center of the ring for like 5 minutes.

This is me in November with no formal MMA training in over 8 years but after doing crossfit mainpage workouts for about 4 weeks:
Link deleted. You must indicate whether your links are Work and Family Safe (WFS)
Notice the armbar I put on him at approx 7:50 youtube time. He tapped and we stood back up for the remainder of the 3 minute round.

A little background info:
I got the itch to get back into some MMA training after an O'lifting competition last month. I used to be really into MMA about 8 years ago. I am too cheap to go join an MMA gym plus don't have that much time. So I found this one gym that hosts open sparring sessions every 4-5 weeks. They call them "smokers" because they are slightly more formal then regular training because they put out an open invite then conduct weigh-ins a half hour before and match up based on skill. Anyways, me being the crazy guy I am decided to just walk on and do it.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
Carlos Cristan

Profile:
Re: Don't call me a Crossfitter....

You joined this forum almost 2 years ago, have 496 posts, and a testimonial thread you posted after 4-5 weeks of solid MP WOD's. You're a Crossfitter!
Old 11-13-2009, 08:51 AM   #3
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

I may be a closet Crossfitter. Unfortunately, I have this perception of Crossfitters that is reinforced every time I go to a Crossfit gym. The majority of the “Crossfitters” are about 130lbs, sporting some vibram five fingers, have about zero flexibility, talking about the salad they ate for lunch because it was Paleo…..need I go on. I much rather hang with the O’Lifters or MMA guys. So I think I will continue to be a closet Crossfitter, who happened to almost pull off a 5min fran as prescribed the other day….ha.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
Jason Peacock

Profile:

I'm 240#, flexible, and just finished a bacon cheeseburger for lunch. You've gotta join the club & change the stereotype from the inside
Old 11-13-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
I may be a closet Crossfitter. Unfortunately, I have this perception of Crossfitters that is reinforced every time I go to a Crossfit gym. The majority of the “Crossfitters” are about 130lbs, sporting some vibram five fingers, have about zero flexibility, talking about the salad they ate for lunch because it was Paleo…..need I go on. I much rather hang with the O’Lifters or MMA guys. So I think I will continue to be a closet Crossfitter, who happened to almost pull off a 5min fran as prescribed the other day….ha.
LOL.

I am 190, hate vibrams and had bbq for lunch, if that helps. Oh, and a reeces peanut butter cup.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:28 PM   #6
Matt Charney

Profile:

I had BBQ today also, currently 190 need to cut 10 or more thou.

I do love the vibrams on metcon day.

I like the suggestion to change the perception from within.

Say it with us now. "I state your name am a CrossFitter"
Old 11-15-2009, 06:28 PM   #7
Adrian Rusch

Profile:
Thumbs down Re: Don't call me a Crossfitter....

Nice. You're so cool! You're a nonconformist of nonconformists!
Old 11-16-2009, 12:06 AM   #8
Shawn Casey

Profile:

Note to self....buy some vibrams.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:29 PM   #9
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Rusch View Post
Nice. You're so cool! You're a nonconformist of nonconformists!
Let me put it another way. I was recently having a conversation with my old Sensei. He noted that all martial arts schools are made up of 85% sheep, 10% goats, and 5% wolves. Sheep’s want to be a goat but could never be a wolf. Some goats are wolves in sheep’s clothing. And the wolves are the chosen few who are the fighters even before they came.

Crossfitters think there affiliate gym model is so new and innovative but from the beginning I have always thought running a crossfit gym is identical to a martial arts gym. I mean the business models are the same with memberships and classes etc. I think the comment my sensei made above also applies to a crossfit gym.

Crossfitters to me equal the 85% sheep. There are many wolves in crossfit but they were already that way before they started incorporating crossfit into their current fitness regime. So does that make the wolves crossfitters...
Old 11-16-2009, 02:38 PM   #10
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

I like to think of myself as a bulletproof tiger.