CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
Ian Staab

Profile:
Floor Strength?

I searched the forums for this because I remember reading about it before, however I can't seem to find anything... but here's my situation:

We are currently looking to open a space and we've started negotiating a location that we REALLY like. My only concern with it is the floor. We would be on the first floor, with a basement underneath us. The owner of space assures us that you can "drive a car on the floor" but I'm still a little concerned. we looked at the floor from the basement and it is a VERY heavily constructed wood floor, and he's agreed to reinforce the floor for us. Iím still wondering... How sturdy of a floor is necessary for a CrossFit Facility? Should we be on concrete, slab, etc? How much will lifting platforms help?
Old 10-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
Katrina A. Burton

Profile:
Re: Floor Strength?

I would very strongly advise you NOT to move into that location. The affiliate a train at used to be in a facility similar to which you described and we put many 65# and 95# bars through the floor during a Fran. The floor was reinforced twice and it was 'better' but we were not allowed to drop weights.
The stucco on the ceiling below fell down many times and there were huge cracks in the flooring/ceiling.
Not worth the stress.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
Ian Staab

Profile:

Thank you Katrina... I remember you were the one that posted about the floor before.

It's really a bummer to hear you advise against it, given that everything about the space is really good (including the price!)...

did you have any type of rubber flooring of lifting platforms down?
Old 10-12-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I would think lifting platforms would solve that problem.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
Ian Kovtunovich

Profile:
Post Re: Floor Strength?

I am a drafter for a structural engineering firm, and I can say that you would be best served by having a structural engineer look at it (or have the building management do that). It would be a pretty simple matter for them to look at the framing for the floor and run some quick numbers.

Also, depending on the age of the building, the floor may be what is commonly called "car decking," which consists of a solid layer of 2x4s (or larger, depending on the building and how far the wood is spanning between beams) on edge, essentially creating a solid slab of wood. I would think something like that would be difficult to drop a barbell through under most circumstances, as this flooring was fairly common in industrial and warehouse-type buildings.

In any case, consult an engineer!
Old 10-12-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
Katrina A. Burton

Profile:

Our floor was reinforced twice with 1" boards. On top of that was a 1/2" rubber matting, 3/4" astro turf (we shared with a baseball academy), and then our oly platforms.

Trust me when I say we tried to make it work.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
Carlo Mattia

Profile:

hey man
go there with a bar and do grace and drop from over head every time in the same ball park spot see what happens.
I would not let guessing if the floor would hold up steer me away from a spot I liked you have nothing to loose the landlord wants it rented he should not object if you break the floor then you know it wont work and oh well

FATIGUE MAKES COWARDS OUT OF MEN
Old 10-14-2009, 05:30 AM   #8
Ian Staab

Profile:

We dropped a few weights that the landlord had in the building already... other than the loud crack of the weight against the linoleum (current flooring, soon to be replaced), things felt pretty sturdy.

I would still rather be on concrete, but after 8 months of searching for a space - we may have to take what we can get.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:02 AM   #9
Ian Kovtunovich

Profile:

Another possibility - and another reason to talk to an engineer (hint, hint), would be to install concrete topping over the existing floor. It would probably require some strengthening of the underlying structure, but it would certainly render the floor immune to damage.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:07 AM   #10
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"render the floor immune to damage"

Is that a challenge?