CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-22-2005, 10:45 AM   #1
Aston Webber

Profile:  
I stumbled across this article on a search for L-sits via google:
Amazing L-Sits, V-sits & Mannas
The basic L sit will build phenomenal stomach strength. Way back when, when I was a beginning gymnast, my first coach had us do no specific ab exercises. Only lots and lots of regular L sits. A 60 second L was the expected standard.
One day, one of the senior gymnasts challenged me to a hanging leg lift contest on the stall bars (These bars are directly anchored to the wall and do not allow you to lean back at all or to pull down with your lats - all pure core strength). I cranked out ten reps without ever having done the exercise before.

The next hardest static hold in this series is the V-sit. Actually the V-sit is not too hard and can be developed relatively easily by someone of reasonable athletic ability within 4-12 months.

The difficult one, that can take years to develope, is the manna. This is where you continue on past the V-sit until your legs are horizontal with the ground. Generally it resembles an inverted L sit. This position requires tremendous tricep and shoulder strength as well as excellent lower back strength and flexibility.

An even harder position is the high manna. From the manna the athlete now begins to lift both their feet and their hips toward the ceiling and then holding in a static position. A perfect position for the high manna (which has not yet ever been attained) would be nearly up to a handstand.

Both of these positions are very beneficial and have a wide range of athletic applications. These positions can both be seen in the beginning of my original article and

If you would like to learn these skills quickly and efficiently, progressions for how to develope them are covered in detail in my Building the Olympic Body Books 1 & 4.

Yours in Fitness, Coach Sommer
Could anyone tell me where the original article can be found on this site,Many Thx.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:05 AM   #2
Jeremy Bloniasz

Profile:
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-coaches/sommer/index.htm

Main page under friends of crossfit, Coach Sommer

-Jeremy
Old 05-22-2005, 11:55 AM   #3
Aston Webber

Profile:  
Thanks a lot jeremy for the quick response.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:42 AM   #4
Jeremy Bloniasz

Profile:
No problem.

-Jeremy