CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-10-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
Walter Moyer

Profile:
how to increase lung capacity?

my question ...I keep running out of breath... how can I improve my lung capacity? I run out of breath... I can feel my heart pound all through my body and hard to talk..... so how do I improve this?

ok I was a smoker for 30+ years and only quite a bit over 3 years ago... and 2 packs a day and have had throat surgery and at 40 hospitalized for what was thought to be a mild heart attach (no damage) and weight today 257# top weight was 307# just started cf mid June and dropping about 1 or 2 #'s ....
Old 08-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Re: how to increase lung capacity?

simple answer? run/exercise more - build up to it gradually.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Veronica has it right. About 2/3 to 3/4 of the crossfit WOD's are "metabolic conditioning" (aka "metcon") workouts. ALL of those workouts will leave you gasping for air whether you're way out of shape or an olympic athelete (the athelete will be done quicker, but just as out of breath). At the same time, ALL those workouts will also help build your lung capacity.

The answer you will get most here, and one of the best answers out there is: start CF today. Scale it WAAAY back to start... check out BrandX at the "start here" tab for some scaling info. Work up gradually, log your workouts. At some point, you probably want to start making incremental improvements to your diet as well. Remember not to overdo it, and when the WOD says to rest, REST!
Old 08-11-2009, 12:20 AM   #4
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Scale the WOD's back and give it time.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:45 AM   #5
Walter Moyer

Profile:

thanks folks... just some more time and keeping at it..and I am working with some good folks at the crossfit in center city philadelphia, they scale stuff to each of our ability
Old 08-11-2009, 06:08 AM   #6
Tony Black

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Moyer View Post
my question ...I keep running out of breath... how can I improve my lung capacity? I run out of breath... I can feel my heart pound all through my body and hard to talk..... so how do I improve this?

Sounds like a clinical definition of doing CF
Old 08-11-2009, 07:03 AM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Black View Post
Sounds like a clinical definition of doing CF
+1

The workouts don't get any easier, you just get better results. A firebreather doing 30+ rounds of Cindy still feels like he's going to die at the end. But a beginner might have less than ten rounds, and the firebreather probably recovers faster.

(Cindy is 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats, as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes.)

Katherine
Old 08-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #8
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Moyer View Post

ok I was a smoker for 30+ years and only quite a bit over 3 years ago... and 2 packs a day and have had throat surgery and at 40 hospitalized for what was thought to be a mild heart attach (no damage) and weight today 257# top weight was 307# just started cf mid June and dropping about 1 or 2 #'s ....
30 years of smoking is a long time. I would recommend seeing a physician to determine if there is any underlying lung disease. This may also involve a respiratory assessment to clinically determine lung capacity...maybe also a stress-test.

Not that you should stop CF'ing...and the cautions to start slow are bang-on.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #9
Jeremy Raffer

Profile:

just keep doing whatever it is that keeps making you run out of your breath.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #10
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Forestier View Post
30 years of smoking is a long time. I would recommend seeing a physician to determine if there is any underlying lung disease. This may also involve a respiratory assessment to clinically determine lung capacity...maybe also a stress-test.

Not that you should stop CF'ing...and the cautions to start slow are bang-on.
I agree. You should get checked out by a physician to rule out any respiratory problems.

Also, improving lung capacity is somewhat a misnomer. Ventilation generally doesn't limit aerobic exercise performance and cannot be improved much by training. You want improvements in your cardiovascular system to transport more oxygen to your muscles.