CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-06-2009, 05:45 AM   #1
Steven Craggs

Profile:
Endurance: extra work or substitute workouts

Hi all,

The title says it all - due to a few twists of fate, I am scheduled to attend a military selection course a year earlier than originally planned. As a consequence, I am not in the shape I had hoped to be in and will have to prioritize the areas in which I need the most improvement.

As it is endurance - specifically running - that is my major sticking point now, I need to get better at it asap. I am, however, uncertain whether I should add work (eg. AM sprints/CFE WOD 2-3 days extra a week)or substitute strength-bias WODs to get the extra running in.

Anyone have any experiences or input?
Old 04-06-2009, 06:23 AM   #2
Brenan Tarrier

Profile:
Re: Endurance: extra work or substitute workouts

http://navyseals.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=84 <<wfs>>

This CF affiliate posts running-heavy WODs. You could try substituting them to work on your running.

Last edited by Brenan Tarrier : 04-06-2009 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Added sentence...
Old 04-06-2009, 06:46 AM   #3
Brian Bedell

Profile:

crossfitendurance.com
Old 04-06-2009, 07:05 AM   #4
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

What's the new timeframe? Requirements? Your current abilities? Norwegian SOF? I've heard high speed things about their Rangers.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:09 AM   #5
Steven Craggs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
What's the new timeframe? Requirements? Your current abilities? Norwegian SOF? I've heard high speed things about their Rangers.
Well - original plan was SOF next year, but because of an age limit window closing, I am doing the officer route instead.

Ironically,the strength reqs are quite a bit lower but same endurance reqs.

To be on the safe side, I need:

9 DH pullups
30 pushups
50 situps
11.30 3K run
4 min 200m swim

Push ups and sit ups are cake and I am not too far off on the pull ups. Need to shave 3-4 minutes off my 3K and work a bit on my crawl and CSS to get my swim times OK.

Been out of the service a few years and weigh alot more than when I was in. Ideally I should be 15kgs lighter for this kind of selection, but I have to work with what I have. Timeframe is 2,5 months (mid-late june).
Old 04-06-2009, 08:30 AM   #6
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

I'd probably recommend navyseals.com or brass ring. CF alone will fix all things pullup but I think 2.5 months and 3-4 minutes on a <2 mi run is going to require some heavy interval work a la what Steven Low recommended in the CF Speed thread. ( I started it, you can find it by going through my posts) (That's a hellacious entry requirement BTW) I would swim active rest, technique and practice should carry that swim.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:33 AM   #7
Ryan Whitley

Profile:

400m intervals. Hit each interval at 90 seconds. Decrease your rest time for each session. You'll be puking, but you'll also get fast really fast really quick.

Example:
Session 1:
8 x 400m interval (60 seconds rest between intervals)

Session 2:
8 x 400m interval (55 seconds rest between intervals)

Session 3:
8 x 400m interval (50 seconds rest between intervals)

And so on...
Old 04-06-2009, 08:45 AM   #8
Samson Gris

Profile:

Do you have a rest period between events or are they consecutive? Is the swim open water or pool?

In any case, definitely do intervals like the previous poster suggests. Two months should be plenty of time to drop your swim and run times assuming you have a solid base.

If you do have a solid base, for running I would do one or two interval workouts a week plus a longer run (5K) at 80% of your 1K time. Since you have a short time frame you need to keep your intensity high.

You might want to do a little research on the web for some sprint triathlon training programs and adapt them to your needs.

Good luck!
Old 04-06-2009, 07:49 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Whitley View Post
400m intervals. Hit each interval at 90 seconds. Decrease your rest time for each session. You'll be puking, but you'll also get fast really fast really quick.

Example:
Session 1:
8 x 400m interval (60 seconds rest between intervals)

Session 2:
8 x 400m interval (55 seconds rest between intervals)

Session 3:
8 x 400m interval (50 seconds rest between intervals)

And so on...
Need more rest than that between intervals especially if he's out of shape.

I don't particularly like this setup because it doesn't have the high intensity which is gonna stimulate the best adaptations.

This was my recommendation for intervals:

Quote:
1.5m = ~2400m = 4*600m intervals with 5 minutes rest. (whatever the distance is divide it by 4 and go with that many intervals with the distance).

1. 600m intervals are "all out" trying to maximize the time... so pretty much run them 80-95% (fast but sustainable bording into bad fatigue)
2. SPRINT the last 100m.
3. Decrease rest times as needed by 30-60s increments (or add 1-2 more intervals max -- no need lots of extra distance).
4. Do this 2-3x a week.

Do a tempo 1.5m run trying to PR at the end of every week.

Maybe 2-3 CF Wods if you can handle it.... BUT it may be problematic with recovery because intervals are hard on your body. Be wary of drastic decreases in performance and be WILLING to cut back (on something) if needed.

That's how I'd do it at least.
The goal here is to hit the WHOLE distance as hard as possible which is gonna make you want to puke probably. This is why we start with high rest times if not more than 5 minutes for newer people.

When you settle down to a "slower" pace in later sessions after a couple of intervals the day before you'll see how EASY the runs will be.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:21 PM   #10
Steven Craggs

Profile:

Thanks for the input guys. I am however still a bit worried about recovery - how much extra work can I add before I start overreaching (been doing a 3-2 split up until now).

Samson: Events are not consecutive. Unless I am very unfortunate, I get a few minutes between each. Swim is in pool.

As I see it, I have an 8-week window to get the bulk of the work in.

How does the below setup seem? Too much? I will probably have to keep the metcons short and hard.

Mon: AM tabata sprint, PM Cali metcon
Tues: Heavy metcon
Wed:Run TT
Thu: Cali metcon
Fri:AM Run intervals PM ME
Sat: Ruck
Sun:Active recovery swim/technique work