CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-02-2003, 11:10 PM   #1
Andy Steinke

Profile:  
After being pointed here by someone (Blueshirt) on the Cyberpump Iron Page, I have been reading this site the past week and absorbing tons of info. Besides seeing Dan John and Lincoln throwing wisdom around, I am seeing a methedology that makes quite a bit of sense, and offers many advantages in my particular case.

After another couple of months of uninterrupted lifting, I once again had another round of back spasms (include hip pain, inability to walk, etc...) which ruins a week of lifting completey and inevitably takes a bit longer to get fully back into the swing of things. Part of my problem in my opinion may be a lack of core strength and flexibility -- the gymnastic type movements and particular lifting focus here serve to address that.

The company gym and my house only have dumbells, but I can chin and dip, so I will probably be integrating dumbell variations of the lifting movements, and trying my hand at making some PVC parallettes. I'm mostly hoping that a focus on body control and anaerobic intensity will be positive for injury recovery.

A bunch of smart folks here -- and though I may be prejudiced from earlier internet days, whatever Dan John and Lincoln are doing is typically not far from what people should be doing...

Old 08-03-2003, 07:26 AM   #2
Jeff Reiser

Profile:
Andy, You are at the right place. Get reafy to be fit. Keep us posted.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:31 AM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Thanks for the vote of confidence Andy!

What I'm doing these days is not 100% the Crossfit way, I'd imagine. On my Saturday workouts I still do a lot of heavy singles with big rest intervals, for example. I've certainly been influenced to go more in the Crossfit direction lately, at least for some of my workouts. On Thursdays I'll do extended sets of complexes such as Cln+FS+PP+BS+PP+OHS for sets of 5 with short rest between sets; lots of hard sweating and heavy breathing. I like the direction that Crossfit is taking (hard work!) and it's great to see someone incorporated the Olympic-style lifts into their workouts.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:46 AM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Lincoln-
I love complexes like you listed. Are you familure with Javorek's complexes? Prior to crossfit I did not understand how such protocols could amount to much. If only I had been more open minded!!
Robb
Old 08-05-2003, 09:51 AM   #5
David Wood

Profile:

Wow!

Is this 5 cleans + 5 front squats + 5 Push press + . .. etc?

Or is it 1 Clean + 1 Front squat + 1 Push Press + . . . . , repeated 5 times?

Either way, it sounds mighty tough . . .

Dave

Old 08-05-2003, 11:14 AM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
This complex is a clean right into a front squat into a push press into a back squat into a (wide grip) push press into an overhead squat. That's 'one' rep.

The notation could be
4 x 5 x (Cln+FS+PP+BS+PP+OHS)
That's four sets of five 'reps'.
If I want to notate a different combination of reps in a complex, you might see something like this:
3 x (Cln + FS + [PPx5])
That would be 3 sets of one clean into a front squat followed by 5 push presses.

The 'toughness' is all a factor of how much weight is on the bar and how long the set takes. Even with nothing on the bar, complexes tend to drive the heart rate up really quickly. I'm doing this particular complex with 40kg (88 pounds) for what it's worth.