CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #61
Justin Lascek

Profile:
Re: Military leaning away from CrossFit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wengloski View Post
The military... not having a standard?!? NEVER.

I remember asking for permission to move weights outside by the pull up bars and getting the green light one day, then the next day getting chewed out by a retired master guns.

The military is always all over the place, it's all about who you ask and how they interpret it. For instance... maybe it's not the same as AF, but Navy and USMC.. ask 5 different people what the policy on sandles are and i bet you will get at least 3 totally different answers. And now i'm totally way off topic.
But that's kind of the point, right? Depending on who you ask, you will get a different answer. It's hard to get a bunch of folks on the same page, and in this case it's with CrossFit.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #62
Max Zerba

Profile:

Just tell them, "John said it was OK."

Old 02-06-2009, 09:36 AM   #63
Michael Wengloski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Lascek View Post
But that's kind of the point, right? Depending on who you ask, you will get a different answer. It's hard to get a bunch of folks on the same page, and in this case it's with CrossFit.

Exactly. I was just trying to point that out because someone had posted that they were shocked the military did not have a standard.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #64
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Since I have a bunch of military people in one place, does the military conduct skills tests under a state of fatigue? If so, how often compared to fresh?

Example Shooting a target as opposed to shooting a target after a 400?

Old 02-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #65
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Since I have a bunch of military people in one place, does the military conduct skills tests under a state of fatigue? If so, how often compared to fresh?

Speaking for the Navy only - we do have some fatigue put into our marksmanship courses. The recommended is running in place for 2 minutes, the most utilized is 2 minutes of jumping jacks. We then move from target to target. The better the shooter, the faster we encourage them to go. BUT, it really all depends on the size of the range as to what can truely be done as far as fatigue and stress. This is only for standard Navy qualifications. How often - should be twice a year at a minimum.

I had lots of fun with the Army's version of our course, as it was more spread out and I was put through the same course four times in a row with full "battle rattle" on and no breaks. (To toot my own horn, 18 out of 18 every time ).

Last edited by Amber Mathwig : 02-06-2009 at 09:56 AM. Reason: forgot something

Old 02-06-2009, 10:11 AM   #66
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
I'm not rich by any means, I make a decent living off my salary and flight pay, and through what I do I earn every penny. But some of us live for more than money Aushion. I'm glad you have your ideals, but living for money isn't one of mine.
It could just be that I'm not as funny as I think I am...or it could just be that humor is sometimes lost when blogging...either way I was kidding...

Old 02-06-2009, 10:13 AM   #67
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Mathwig View Post
Speaking for the Navy only - we do have some fatigue put into our marksmanship courses. The recommended is running in place for 2 minutes, the most utilized is 2 minutes of jumping jacks. We then move from target to target. The better the shooter, the faster we encourage them to go. BUT, it really all depends on the size of the range as to what can truely be done as far as fatigue and stress. This is only for standard Navy qualifications. How often - should be twice a year at a minimum.

I had lots of fun with the Army's version of our course, as it was more spread out and I was put through the same course four times in a row with full "battle rattle" on and no breaks. (To toot my own horn, 18 out of 18 every time ).
Oh, and Amber...I WANT that coin.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #68
Adam Scheiner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
It could just be that I'm not as funny as I think I am...or it could just be that humor is sometimes lost when blogging...either way I was kidding...
I'm in College and getting more and more in debt, so can I have the money?

George,
It's been awesome around here since you and Steven have come back. This place isn't the same without you guys. BTW your avatar, MEGAMAN, best Nintendo game ever!

Coach,
Someday I will meet you and find out how the hell you've learned your vast amount of knowledge.

sorry to interrupt this discussion

Now back to my Cognitive Neuroscience book

Old 02-06-2009, 11:04 AM   #69
Ed Haywood

Profile:

Don't make the mistake of conflating the Air Force with "the military". It is entirely unsurprising that the AF would be moving away from a program while the other services are moving towards it.

The AF and Navy use PT for fundamentally different purposes than the Marines and Army. With some obvious exceptions (STS, NSW), the AF and Navy take a corporate approach to PT. The goal of the AF and Navy PT programs is to reduce their personnel loss rate due to job-related injuries and health issues. They have no need for highly fit individuals, only moderately fit individuals. To such an actuarial mindset, the perceived 'risks' of crossfit may well outweigh the benefits to them.

The Marines and Army are warrior services, where most members must fight in the normal conduct of their jobs. They use PT to gain a combat edge. They understand the consequences of poor fitness may be mission failure or death, and that one can never be too fit. Thus they are willing to accept a greater degree of risk in the execution of a physical training program designed to achieve a high degree of fitness. This is the target demographic for Crossfit, not the IBM accountants in blue.

FWIW, top end SOF units do not follow any organized PT program. They provide a wide variety of instruction and equipment, and then allow individuals and small teams to program and execute their own PT programs.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #70
Michael Buzny

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post

In the Canadian Army, the Infantry is required to run, during annual requalifications. Start at 400m, targets up, have 45 seconds to sprint to 300m and shoot x targets, x number of times, targets down for like 10 seconds, repeat 300-200, 200-100, and then walk 100-75-50-25.

Closed Thread