CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-29-2008, 06:17 AM   #1
Mike Gwinn

Profile:
How to gain weight?

I have a hard time keeping my weight up. I'm 6'1.5" and 162 lbs. I eat (Paleo) like crazy. My body fat is running 10 - 12% I'm starting the milk thing but also looking at supplements. I don't want to go higher on body fat percentage and I'm concerned the milk plan will boost my weight in the wrong places. Any thoughts?
Old 10-29-2008, 06:30 AM   #2
Laura Kurth

Profile:
Re: How to gain weight?

well if you are interested in gaining a decent amount of weight in a reasonable time period - then yes you will be gaining SOME fat. You can't really avoid it. If you are going to freak out about the slightest fat gain, you will just be 'spinning your wheels' forever at 160lbs.

If you have a solid program going (Starting Strength) along with your gallon of milk, you can make sure that as much of the excess calories as possible go to building muscle.

I suggest you just suck it up and do the gallon of milk and SS and just ignore your expanding waistline for a couple of months. Big deal, you are a 'hardgainer' and you will lose it easily with crossfit afterwards. You could gain 20lbs in a couple of months, shed the fat afterwards and still end up a solid 10lbs heavier.

Just my 2c
Old 10-29-2008, 06:38 AM   #3
Matthew Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Kurth View Post
well if you are interested in gaining a decent amount of weight in a reasonable time period - then yes you will be gaining SOME fat. You can't really avoid it. If you are going to freak out about the slightest fat gain, you will just be 'spinning your wheels' forever at 160lbs.

If you have a solid program going (Starting Strength) along with your gallon of milk, you can make sure that as much of the excess calories as possible go to building muscle.

I suggest you just suck it up and do the gallon of milk and SS and just ignore your expanding waistline for a couple of months. Big deal, you are a 'hardgainer' and you will lose it easily with crossfit afterwards. You could gain 20lbs in a couple of months, shed the fat afterwards and still end up a solid 10lbs heavier.

Just my 2c

"There is no such thing as a hardgainer. Just someone who isn't eating enough."
Old 10-29-2008, 07:33 AM   #4
David Croushore

Profile:

To gain 1 pound a week, make sure you consume 500 calories per day more than you burn.

Done.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:08 AM   #5
Mike Gwinn

Profile:

Thanks for the comments. I recently went to the basic barbell cert. Great info. I'm hesitant to drop CrossFit for a SS "imersion" mainly because I just like CrossFit. I'm thinking of turning the CrossFit strength days into more of a SS workout. In other words 5,5,5,5,5; etc. instead of 1,1,1,1,1. I like the comment about an extra 500 calories a day. I'm looking to gain 5 - 10 lbs and I'd be happy. Comments/thoughts?
Old 10-29-2008, 08:25 AM   #6
Steven Tecson

Profile:

increase your calories until you are gaining... if you're not gaining, eat more.

if fat gain is an issue, look forward to gaining weight more slowly. If you want to get big, eat up and lift heavy. There is a difference in how many calories a pound of muscle vs a pound of fat contains (less calories in a pound of muscle), but 500 calories is a good place to start.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:12 AM   #7
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Eat a bowl of Breyer's ice cream every night, that will do the trick.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:26 AM   #8
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gwinn View Post
I have a hard time keeping my weight up. I'm 6'1.5" and 162 lbs. I eat (Paleo) like crazy. My body fat is running 10 - 12% I'm starting the milk thing but also looking at supplements. I don't want to go higher on body fat percentage and I'm concerned the milk plan will boost my weight in the wrong places. Any thoughts?
If you keep avoiding "stupid food" you are less likely to gain massive amounts of fat - if it even matters, given your metabolism. Don't worry about it too much.

My new favorite term is "wide-eyed paleo." Eat everything that's good. Meats, good fats, veggies. Fruits if you can get away with it. Not a bunch of bread and fried crap. Add in the whole milk if you aren't gaining mass/strength as quickly as you want. The only supplements I think most people should use are a multivitamin and fish oil.

Like they say - it's not rocket science - if you aren't gaining weight, you aren't eating enough. Sticking with CF WODs in your schedule is fine, it will just mean you have to eat that much more to get up to 185 or whatever.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:44 AM   #9
Liam Dougherty Springer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gwinn View Post

Cycle carbs eat carbs and protien on heavy lift days fat and protien on Metcon/rest days and eat alot all the time. You are going to have to lift heavy more than you metcon however if you hope to gain funtional mass with any kind of efficiency. If you don't mind gaining slower but wan't only lean gains adding in some high cal. IFing helps alot of people I don't have the link handy but google leangains.com and look for IFing stuff.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:29 PM   #10
Andrew James

Profile:

Every guy who says, "I eat like crazy but I'm not gaining any weight" is invariably eating a lot less than he should. I used to be your height and weight almost exactly. I'm now 6'2, 228lbs. No idea what my bodyfat % is, but my abs are visible, so it's probably lower than 14%.

Things to consider when you're trying to gain weight:

1. Up your total calories. Your total calories need to be 4000-5000 a day in my experience.

2. Consider ditching paleo during your weight gaining cycles. It's just going to be incredibly difficult to get 4000-5000 calories a day eating paleo. A couple sweet potatoes a day, say one with lunch and one with dinner, will add several hundred, if not a thousand, calories a day to your diet. Not to mention that sweet potatoes are delicious.

3. Eat more meat. You should be shooting for at least 170g of protein per day.

4. 172lbs at 6'2 is still hella freaking skinny. At 200lbs, you'll look fit and athletic, you'll be stronger, and it won't be too much weight for your frame to achieve a high level of fitness in all ten categories. Consider putting on 30lbs instead of 10.

5. Give up the WOD and do starting strength or an old school, full-body bodybuilding routine. Fitness can be built after the muscle is built.

6. Drink whole milk. It'll help you get the calories and protein you need.

Last edited by Andrew James : 10-29-2008 at 12:43 PM.