CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-20-2006, 05:37 PM   #1
Rodney McCray

Profile:
How's it going everybody,

I've decided to reenlist in the next 8-12 months (USMC), I want to be able to max the PFT and be ready for the Recon indoc once I get there.

My stats:
Height:5'8
Weight:~215

Max Pullups:14
Max Situps in 2min: 112
3 Mile Run: Still have to test that one

I'll be starting the WOD tomorrow the best I can, this is the equipment I got until I talk to a recruiter and a temp. pass to the YMCA:

Barbell /w ~300lbs worth of Plates
2x25lb DBs
Basketball goal and treelimbs for pullups
Logs and stones up to ~120lbs

As far as I understand it crossfit wants you to stay away from routine, but there got to be some kind of structure to a program right?

I read the CFJs that were posted on this site and udnerstand that I need to have conditioning (mostly anaerobic), gymnastics(BW excercises), weightlifting and good butrition in order to get in shape.

These are the excercises and variations I was thinking of using:

Lifts:
DL: SLDL, single leg DL, suitcase DL
Squat: front, back, overhead, split
Lunges: Walking, OH, Stepups
Mil Press
Rows
Snatch: 3 hangs, power
Clean: 3 hangs, power
C&J: 3 hanfs, power
Full contact twist
Turkish getup

Bodyweight:
Handstand: walk, pushup(cant do that one yet)
Pistol
Pullup: commando, chinup, towel,
Dips
Pushup: 1 limb out, divebomber, 1 hand
situps: v-ups, russian twists, jandas, L sits, hanging legraises
back extensions: superman, rev. prone flutters, back arches

Conditioning:
Mountain climbers
Mountain jumpers
Running highknees
Prone flutters
Sprints
Sleddragging
weighted walks/runs

Plyos:
Box jumps
Squat jumps
Clapping pushups

Ok, this is where I get lost. I know to use tabatas and pyramids for conditioning, high weight with low reps for strength. But everytime I write up a weekly routine I get lost because of all the variations that can be used.

I want to be able to train as intensly as possible without burning out. This is what I got ATM (very simplified)
8 day cycle:3 on 1 off
5 Sessions a day 4 conditioning 2 anaerobic and 1 aerobic with 1 strength session plus the WOD.
On the Off days I do active maintenance with Tai Chi, Chikung and stretching.

Some questions I got:
-Is this routine ok or should I change anything?
-Are there any excercises that are missing?
-Are there any excercises I should remove?

Thanks in advance.

(Message edited by sickdevildog on October 20, 2006)
Old 10-20-2006, 06:52 PM   #2
Rodney McCray

Profile:
edit:
I just came across the first 6 ladies, a-f, I'll benchmark myself with these for the next 8 days, 3 on 1 off, and post my resluts.
I'll have to substitute HSPUs with incline pushups though.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:54 PM   #3
Dave Campbell

Profile:
Rodney,
My answer will seem rather simple, but I suggest you simply start up with the WOD. I would be willing to bet that at your size, running is not your strength and you might want to add it to the WOD. Pull-ups will increase dramatically after 8-12 months of the WOD. I've said this numerous times on this board, but mental strength is 10X more important than physical strength in regards to elite units. I never once saw someone fail because they weren't physically strong; I saw many quit because they lacked intestinal fortitude.
Going all out on a WOD will develop your mind as well as your body. In addition, I would highly recommend that you get some boots and a heavy rucksack and get used to doing some very fast marching (almost a run). This is what separates the men from the boys. Good luck.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:23 PM   #4
Rodney McCray

Profile:
Thanks for the quick reply Dave,

You're right, long distance running is my weakest link ATM, windsprints are ok but could be way better.

I load up my seabag with lumber and some weights and go for a 60min hump twice a weak, I'm running in jungle boots 2x a week aswell.

I'll take your advice and stick with the WOD and the first 6 ladies to see where I stand fitness wise for the next couple of weeks.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:09 PM   #5
Rodney McCray

Profile:
OK, just finished Angie and GOOD GOD AM I SORE!:crutch00:

You're comment about intestinal fortitude was in my head the whole time dave, that's one of the most motivating things I've heard in a while. :gunsmilie:

Since I've been having trouble with intestinal cramps for years now that one really hit home, thank you for the push in the right direction sir.

I think I'll start a journal here and post the details over there, I didnt take a watch outside, I just looked at the clock on the wall when I was done, overall time was 1hr32min, and half of that time was on pullups...

Off I go to make a journal then, thank you crossfit for rekindling the fire under my lazy butt!
Old 10-20-2006, 09:46 PM   #6
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Rodney, if you are having stomach trouble you may want to evaluate your diet. I could be way off but I imagine eating better could help with that.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:51 AM   #7
Rory P. Duane

Profile:
Rodney, we share similar stats ( I'm 5'8", 190lbs, LCpl - 0311, 285 PFT). I find that the concept2 rower is the best piece of equipment for developing pullups. If you don't have one, sub Sumo Deadlift High Pulls. Do some tabata intervals and/or max reps in 2:00 mins. Add a 5K and 10 K run each week to work on running. Also, start getting into the pool if you can. Best of luck Devil Dog.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:09 PM   #8
Rodney McCray

Profile:
Nick, I fixed my nutritional habitd a while back and got alot of relief from the cramps, they flare up every now and then but not even close as crippling as they used to be.

Rory, if I lose all this extra BF I should be qround 180-190 (almost same stats indeed).

I dont have a concept2 rower, I know what a Sumo DL High Pull is but what makes it a "sub"? Is it where I stand on a box and the bar is under my feet?

I appreciate all the input Gents.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:38 PM   #9
Rory P. Duane

Profile:
I meant, substitute the SDLHP in place of the Concept2 rower. Sorry, should have clarified better.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:31 PM   #10
Rodney McCray

Profile:
Ok thanks.