CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 08-10-2008, 10:00 PM   #1
Sean Kane

Profile:
Hiking Boots/Shoes

Hey everyone, I need help choosing a good pair of hiking boots. I am planning a ~10 mile hike through some caverns and was looking into buying a pair of hiking boots. I usually just wear some old running shoes when I go into the woods or on a trail, but a boot (over the ankle) is required to do this hike. I really want something light yet durable since I do a lot of short hikes, usually 5 or so miles, and would like to start using them instead of running shoes for my usual hikes. I need them to be as affordable as possible since I am living on a student budget. If you have any suggestions it would be very much appreciated.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:56 AM   #2
Scott Borre

Profile:
Re: Hiking Boots/Shoes

Go to REI and look at their light hiking shoes. 10 miles is fairly short so I'm surprised there are any requirements. But for short hikes I have Merrells. You can see some of the ones towards the bottom. I recommend the ones with Gore-Tex since it really helps when your feet don't get wet. But these might not be high enough. In that case, you just have to go and try them on, an then stick to your price range. Boots fit different people differently and its most important to get one that feels right. If you want some reviews you can pick up a Backpacker magazine gear review issue, but in general you are best off just going to a store and trying things on till you find something that fits well. If you don't plan to use it a lot go 'cheaper.'

http://www.merrell.com/Gallery/NZ/Me...ar/Hiking.aspx (WFS)
Old 08-11-2008, 06:06 AM   #3
Casey Raiford

Profile:

I've been using a pair of Asolo boots for several years now and couldn't ask for more. Sierra Trading Post is a discount outfitter site:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Aso...ing-Boots.html (WFS)

There are lots of other boots there as well.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:24 AM   #4
Wade Smith

Profile:

My Salomons are on sale at REI: Double as light hikers and trail runners. I've found them to be decent for lifting too.
http://media.rei.com/media/jj/65b9de...1ce5bb6f06.jpg
Old 08-11-2008, 09:29 AM   #5
Tate Rivera

Profile:

I bought a pair of Vasque Wasatch boots a few years ago. They fit great and I love wearing them. The downside is that they were $160. I used them for a 6 day hike that I went on with my dad. He just bought some Timberlands for like $60. At the end of the trip he had bruised toe nails from where his toes had hit the front of his boots.

My point is that with hiking shoes it is not really worth it to go for the cheaper version. It is better to go for quality. And I would most definitely recommend going to an outdoor store like REI or something and get fitted to find the boot that fits your foor the best. The people that work at those stores 'usually' know best how to fit your shoe to a boot. You need to try them on before you buy a pair.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:30 AM   #6
Sean Kane

Profile:

Thanks everyone. There is a Hiking/Camping/Rock Climbing store near me, so I will check them out. I have heard good things about Vasque, so I might look into getting fitted and then try and find a closeout of last years models or something.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:21 PM   #7
Tate Rivera

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kane View Post
Thanks everyone. There is a Hiking/Camping/Rock Climbing store near me, so I will check them out. I have heard good things about Vasque, so I might look into getting fitted and then try and find a closeout of last years models or something.
that sounds like a good plan. once you have tried on and found a good fitting pair of boots, you can always buy them online. they are usually cheaper that way.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:20 PM   #8
Travis Hall

Profile:

Check these links and read the reviews.

All links wfs

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/

http://www.mec.ca/

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/

I hike a lot and boots are a very personal choice. Go to any hiker forum and the debates between boots (what kind) versus shoes (and what kinds) parallel our own pullup threads. One person's blessing is another's curse.

Keep in mind as you research that while a company may have great a reputation- fit is more important. If the lasts the #1 company uses are weird for your feet it won't matter how great the boots are.