CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 07-18-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
Fergus Lally

Profile:
Fergus' log - isn't this crossfit stuff is great craic!

Hi all !

been doing the WOD's on the main page since May 17th so I've decided to start logging them to give me an excuse to check how much I need to improve to catch up to everyone else...

A little bit of background on my training...

Always been very active, as a kid I played gaelic hurling and football (you may have guessed that I'm Irish by the name), I did show jumping and eventing for a few years too, football (soccer) for years for various teams and school & college, rock climbing, christ I was even a football/soccer ref for a while!

Before I started crossfit WOD's I was doing a typical bodybuilding split with weights in the morning and cardio in the evening for a total of about 1/1.5 hours a day 6 days a week.

To note a bodybuilder is someone who basis their workouts around heavy compound lifts (roughly 70+% of his or her routine) and uses isolation lifts as "finishers" and not those idiots you see sitting on machines talking and/or basing a whole workout around a cable manchine or reading while doing cardio or that *****er who asked me to put down the weight a little more gently when I was going for a PB in deadlift a few weeks before I started crossfit!!!! believe me these people annoy bodybuilders as much, if not more as they give bodybuilders a bad name, than they annoy crossfitters!

sorry about the rant, those *****ers drive me nuts!

Before I started the WOD's I was 13 stone 7 pounds which is 189 pounds at c.13% bf standing at 5'9.5" and after initially losing weight to about 182 pounds (through reducing my calories until I got a grip of how much I need to stay in shape and for required energy levels doing the WOD's) I'm back up to 185 pounds as of today at about 11% bf (the scale says 8.4% but there's no way my bf is that low, stupid cheap scale). So I'm pretty happy with how its going from that perspective.

Eventually I'm going to incorporate some of my old bodybuilding workouts back into my training but for another month or so I'm going to stick to the WODs exclusively.

More interesting to crossfitters some of my before and afters are:

May now
Deadlift: 264 319
Squat: 220 264
Pull ups at once 8 17 (normal style, I can't kip properly, yet)

I started recording my WOD's in my workout diary on the 2nd of June but the above are the results I'm happiest with (particularly the pull ups).

I also managed my first muscle ups when it came up as a 50 muscle up WOD in June - it took me 29.42 (about 4 of those were spent trying to get the first one) and I could only do 1 at a time with terrible technique (terrible I know) but was definitely worth the blisters lol I think it may have replaced the clean and press as my favorite exercise!

I'm gonna try to keep this updated as much as possible (hopefully it'll give me motivation to work harder if I know others are going to see my results).

anyhoo I've also decided to do the burpees challenge so I'm off to do my 15 burpees to catch up, oh what an exciting Friday night I have ahead lol !

ps incase your wondering about the t shirt in the pic Anchorman is my favorite film!

Last edited by Fergus Lally : 07-18-2008 at 11:19 AM. Reason: dodgy spelling
Old 07-18-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
Vanessa Sisson

Profile:
Re: Fergus' log - isn't this crossfit stuff is great craic!

Hi! Welcome! I'm new to the Workout Logs myself.

Have fun with those burpees. I suggest doing them in your warmup if you are doing any leg work or the CFE workout. I waited and did my afterwards. My legs were jello.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
Fergus Lally

Profile:

I usually do my workouts at about 6 /7 in the morning so I'm going to try doing them in the evening after I get home from work or in the mornings on days off.

Although I'd get away with doing them in my warm up for the next few weeks eventually they'd kill me, there evil!! and the thought of doing legs after them just makes me shudder lol

I actually like burpees, or at least I like the feeling once I've recovered, god I already know I'm gonna regret saying this in a few weeks ha ha
Old 07-18-2008, 11:45 AM   #4
Vanessa Sisson

Profile:

You're totally right. I'll have to do them after workouts when the numbers start getting up there. I wonder if we have to do them all at one time or if we can split them up into sets during the day? I need to look at that...

Last edited by Vanessa Sisson : 07-18-2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:47 AM   #5
Fergus Lally

Profile:

I think the rules said you had to complete them that day rather than all at once, saying that though I could be just trying to convince myself of that lol
Old 07-20-2008, 06:22 AM   #6
Fergus Lally

Profile:

WOD 18th July: Filthy Fifty!

Time: 39.07

This was my first ever Filthy fifty and to be honest I now know why someone shot fifty cent! The shooter was obviously into crossfit and must have assumed that fifty cent invented the filthy fifty, now I'm not saying I agree with what he did but after doing my first filthy fifty I understand why he did it!

One of the gym instructors trains with crossfit so he was there for lots of encouragement and to be honest if he wasn't there I don't think I'd have continued from about ten burpees on, at that point I was expecting to see my breakfast and was afraid to drink any water because I though I'd get sick immediately - so ya it was great craic!

And to think I was thinking of doing a workout yesterday cos I wasn't really that tired and fancied doing some squatting (and no I've no idea why I anyone would fancy doing some squats, I'm just strange like that)- thank jebus I didn't do that!

If you need me I'll be they guy lying in the corner!
Old 07-20-2008, 06:35 AM   #7
Vanessa Sisson

Profile:

I am about to go to the gym. I feel a litlle pukey already. This will be interesting...

Good job on making it through!
Old 07-21-2008, 12:10 AM   #8
Fergus Lally

Profile:

WOD: 2k row

Time: 7.40 - as this is my first time trying this is has to be my pb but feck it, a pb a pb lol

I did some very light rotary cuff work after finishing because waking up with a shoulder in pain reminded me that I hadn't done any in ages!

everything hurts after the filthy fifty yesterday!!

can't wait for my 8 burpees this evening after work
Old 07-22-2008, 10:23 AM   #9
Fergus Lally

Profile:

TUESDAY 080722

Push jerk 3-3-3-3-3 reps

60kg/132lb x3

70kg/154lb x3

70kg/154lb x3

80kg/176lb x3

60kg/132lb x3

Shoulder still killing me from the filthy fifty so when after the 4th set it started to hurt (not muscle soreness but pain) I decided to use some common sense...

As this is my second time doing the all sets and the final of 176lb were a pb (last time I did 132lb).

My technique was ok/good, I think I'm loosing alot of strength in the "pop" and not exploding up enough so I'm gonna work on that after WOD's, once thats sorted I'm expecting to get 90kg/198lb next time out especially since I think I would have gotten it today if I was "fully fit"...

Burpees day 9 done too.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:41 PM   #10
Vanessa Sisson

Profile:

Smart move with push jerks and what a big jump in poundage. I have trouble with form on these too. Going to a class at an affiliate Friday so hopefully I get some pointers and hands on critique.