CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-04-2009, 09:26 AM   #131
Ed Haywood

Profile:
Re: Crossfit is the best program for Bodybuilding

Quote:
Whatever. I wish this argument would die already.
Why? Is there an invisible force making your hand click on the link?
Old 01-04-2009, 11:31 PM   #132
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:

Wow.

My own opinion is that if the frequency of crossfit was reduced, same exercises, same intensity, less frequency and duration, and calories were upped, then the athlete cut down like a bodybuilder does, they would look better than any natural body builder. That's a lot of commas, but I'm going to stand by that statement.

SS is for newbs. The linearity of the movements probably won't work well for people who are trained.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:52 AM   #133
Shawn Casey

Profile:

Another thing you have to look at is that most crossfitters with the zone prescription aren't going to gain alot of muscle. Bodybuilders eat to gain muscle. Maybe if we had some folks attempt to build muscle with the WOD and a musclebuilding diet, we might see some more muscular crossfitters.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:13 AM   #134
Ryan Whitley

Profile:

Hmmm...

I guess you could make the argument. But I think that the better question would be:

WHO CARES?!?!?!?!?

Bodybuilding is, has been, and will always be a joke in the eyes of serious athletes. I can't see myself spending more time in front of the mirror than my wife does.

I'll just keep lifting heavy things and feeling good about myself.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:29 PM   #135
Gavin Harrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Whitley View Post
Hmmm...

I guess you could make the argument. But I think that the better question would be:

WHO CARES?!?!?!?!?

Bodybuilding is, has been, and will always be a joke in the eyes of serious athletes. I can't see myself spending more time in front of the mirror than my wife does.

I'll just keep lifting heavy things and feeling good about myself.
Because we should not be negative about peoples goals, and honest about what anything we says means. Vanity and wanting to look good ARE goals of many normal people. Crossfit may not be the best bodybuilding routine in the sense of winning contests, but it may be more effective than most popular information about "bodybuilding" that amateurs do with little to no results in order to "look good naked".

CF and BB provide two different physiques when done effectively, and a CFer who holds performance above physique will never be as lean as a competition ready BBer, and a competition ready BBer will almost never perform like a CFer, though may be stronger in terms of ability to move large amounts of weight in a very short time domain.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #136
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Anyone mention genetics yet?

Just wondering...
Old 01-06-2009, 09:00 AM   #137
Andrew James

Profile:

self-removed post
Old 01-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #138
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Lindenman View Post
Prove me wrong.

What derives more muscle growth:

Full body lifts or compound lifts?

3 x 8 - 10 reps 3 - 4 times a week or varied rep range - high intensity (closer to 1 rep max) 6 times a week?

What cuts body fat faster LSD (on a treadmill) or High intensity weighted interval training?

Two of the most popular "new age" bodybuilding and fat cutting programs are Chad Waterbury's "Anti Bodybuilding Program" and Cosgrove's "After Burn". Put them together and you have a program very close to Crossfit.

Point me to fitness models or bodybuilders who look better than Nicole or Eva.

Crossfit, blows away any program for putting on mass on the back and legs...all the muscles you can't see in the mirror.

Prove me wrong....
CrossFit doesn't promote sarco hypertrophy. Proven right there. Doing something before a competition to lose fat (and many of them lose A LOT of fat before competitions) isn't something they do to gain muscle. I will agree CrossFit gives a lot of people a great look. But they still have to do reps in a range to promote the sarco in the first place and CrossFit doesn't provide it. Jay Cutler and Ronnie Coleman not doing compound lifts? Those guys breathe them and they also do isolation type things. They also don't do CrossFit and they win. Sorry to chime in and keep it alive, I just found the premise of this thread a little beyond the ridiculous, and I believe its been argued before and just fuels T-nation to hate CrossFitters even more.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:47 PM   #139
Mike Groth

Profile:

Here is Hola Bola's training thread and a pic of him when he started it. Show me a CFer that has more lean mass than him and got that way by doing CF.

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=18676 (wfs)
Old 01-08-2009, 11:02 AM   #140
Gavin Harrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
CrossFit doesn't promote sarco hypertrophy. Proven right there. [...] But they still have to do reps in a range to promote the sarco in the first place and CrossFit doesn't provide it.
Sarcoplasm in muscle tissue is a place where lots of energy substrates are stored, like glycogen. Why would a training system which uses a lot of short and intense workouts not provide this sort of energy system adaptation? You don't "need to do reps in a range" to promote sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.. per practical programming just about any lifting from 1 rep to 100s will promote at least some sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, but maybe not as much as a certain range, if in that range you're lifting to failure or extreme fatigue..

Quote:
Jay Cutler and Ronnie Coleman not doing compound lifts? Those guys breathe them and they also do isolation type things. They also don't do CrossFit and they win.
They also use androgic aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Groth View Post
Here is Hola Bola's training thread and a pic of him when he started it. Show me a CFer that has more lean mass than him and got that way by doing CF.

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=18676 (wfs)
I didn't bother reading his whole log, but are you sure he's not using androgic aid?