CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-30-2008, 09:11 PM   #1
David Cooke, Jr.

Profile:
First WOD as Rx'd

Today was my first WOD as Rx'd. Ever.
A little about me:
38 yoa male. 6'5", 230lbs. 3 kids (7, 5, 6 mos). Career prosecutor. Work out 5-6 min per day (seriously, its all I've had time for). Worked out 90 min a day for years...then had kids. Since then, I've struggled to have any kind of meaningful routine. And I've gotten fat.
Been working out very regularly with KB's for about a year...but only a few minutes a day.
Thought I'd try Grace...and I did it in 9:27 using 135lbs. I probably spent 10 secs setting up the first rep, so maybe the time was 9:17. Nothing to write home about, but I did it. It got me thinking, maybe I can do 20-30 min after the kids are in bed? Wouldn't 20-30 min cover most WOD's?
We'll see. The reason I haven't tried more before is I get so little sleep and time for myself.
I hope this works out.
-David

Last edited by David Cooke, Jr. : 01-30-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:35 AM   #2
Jesse Emers

Profile:
Re: First WOD as Rx'd

Grats on completing Grace. It is shorter than most of the WODs, but not by that much. I usually spend a total of ~40min in the gym including changing clothes and a decent warmup.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:04 AM   #3
James Besenyei

Profile:

David,

Great job. Good to see another big guy on the boards (I go 6'10" and 319lbs). CF is great when having such a tight schedule. 20-30 minutes is usually plenty of time to cover the WOD's. Although, timing on a strength based WOD will vary depending upon individual recovery time between sets.

I'm in my first year of law school so time (while not nearly as constrained as your schedule) is an issue for me as well (33, former Ironworker, had knee surgery, couldn't Ironwork while going through rehab/surgeries, went back to school). CF has been a great way for me to get back into shape after being sidelined (still haven't got diet right!). The results are damn good, it doesn't require an excess of space or equipment, and there is a huge support system in place. Good luck, congrats on the first WOD as Rx'd, and have at it.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:39 AM   #4
David Cooke, Jr.

Profile:

James,
Thanks for the kind words. Good luck in law school. It was one of the toughest times of my life, but one of the most rewarding. I wish we had crossfit when I was a law student.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:21 PM   #5
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

David, congrats on that workout. Even more kudos to you for making it happen. You didn't let the time constraints be an obstacle to you doing cf. You'll find more and more that you can do.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:46 AM   #6
David Cooke, Jr.

Profile:

Thanks, Lenora. Today will be the big test. I got maybe 4 hours sleep last night for the second night in a row. My six-month-old often wakes us up in the middle of the night. Not alot we can do about it. Which is why I've only "worked out" 5-6 minutes a day for a long time. Whever I've gotten too sleepy to do my job well, I've grabbed a 1.5 pood Kettlebell I keep near my desk, and lifted for a minute or two. Usually by the time I've gotten home, had supper, bathed the kids, put them to bed, started my chores...well, its late. And I'm tired.
So tonight I'm doing Thursday's WOD, which is an un-named "lady" of a workout, but it looks pretty tough. Not sure if I can still do pullups with the new waist size I've built...the DL's don't look too bad, but that's the way crossfit gets you, I've noticed...when its looks easy, its tough, and when it looks tough its impossible fro most people.
So today I'm gonna see how the DL's go...then the handstands...and the pullups...and the thrusters.
Thanks for the encouragement,
David
Old 02-01-2008, 10:35 AM   #7
Bryan Ragon

Profile:

Congrats!!! That's always a big achievement. Before ya know it you'll be storming through Murph! Don't know why, but that's always been one of my favorites. Maybe because it was my first Hero workout.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Besenyei View Post
David,
Good to see another big guy on the boards.
Well, I'm sure I qualify at 5'10" and 227 lbs, but heading downhill from 237. Sometimes it's nice to be big... especially on sparring night at taekwondo. It's fun watching the fast skinny guys flying all around, spinning, etc.... and I just wait... and BAM sidekick to the ribs. They don't continue the acrobatics much after that.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:06 PM   #9
James Besenyei

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Guere View Post
Well, I'm sure I qualify at 5'10" and 227 lbs, but heading downhill from 237. Sometimes it's nice to be big... especially on sparring night at taekwondo. It's fun watching the fast skinny guys flying all around, spinning, etc.... and I just wait... and BAM sidekick to the ribs. They don't continue the acrobatics much after that.
Right on Bob!! You qualify and nice going getting down to 227. My goal is 275 (still got a ways to go). I've heard it said before that size/strength is its own martial art. What art do you study?
Old 02-02-2008, 08:37 AM   #10
Kevin Bean

Profile:

20 minutes is going to be close for a full round of CFWU and then even the shortest WOD. In the end, anything is better then nothing.