CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-18-2007, 11:29 PM   #1
Siddharth Sawkar

Profile:
Question Time vs. RX'd Weight

Howdy Folks-

I tried searching for this, but couldn't find anything.

How do ya'll balance using the RX'd weight / substitute moves vs. finishing in a reasonable amount of time.

For example, today's WOD with Fran- I can complete with the RX'd weight, but it would take me significantly longer vs if I dropped the weight slightly. When I do it as RXd, it would take me around 30 minutes with non-kipping, dead-hang pullups (I know, I'm working on it).

If I move to jumping pullups, this time drops to well under 20 minutes.

If I drop the weight of the Thrusters to around 85lb, shave a few more minutes; 75lbs well under 10 minutes total.

Is an 8 min Fran@75lb with jumping pullups "better" than a 15 minutes Fran@75lbs with deadhang pullups?

How about jumping pullups with varied thruster weight- 95lbs, 85lbs, 75lbs?

I saw somewhere today (I think it was BrandX) that it should be scaled to take around 6-8 minutes. Cool, that makes sense. But what about the WODs where such guidance isn't given?

So how do you balance the choice between the RXd workout, substitutes and time?

Boy I hope these questions around tradeoffs and balance makes sense to someone else...

If anyone could point me to previous threads which cover this, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks-

/Siddharth
Old 12-18-2007, 11:34 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Time vs. RX'd Weight

Why are you doing deadhang pullups? You should be doing kipping pullups. And if you protest these are 'cheating' then read the FAQ and search some for that.

IMO if you want to work on your strength a bit more then pace your sets more or less not going to failure and do it as rx'd. If you want to work on your metcon ability then scale it so that you can complete it in that 6-8 minute window. Pretty simple.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:21 AM   #3
Craig Takahiro Descoteaux

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Why are you doing deadhang pullups? You should be doing kipping pullups. And if you protest these are 'cheating' then read the FAQ and search some for that.
i think it he wrote it has "I do deadhang for now because I can not kip as smoothly for right now."

Not as kipping as cheating.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 12-20-2007 at 02:06 AM.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:38 AM   #4
William Hunter

Profile:

my .02

Assuming form is dialed in (this is important) there's value to both approaches. When I first started CF I was as weak as a newborn kitten. I decided to keep track of two different Fran's in my workout log, one as Rx'd, and one with 65# thrusters. Fran as Rx'd was a grueling 20-25 minute experience, where I was dealing with repeated temporary muscle failure on the thrusters (sets of 2 or 3 reps initially - embarrassing). Fran with 65# was more of a metabolic hell workout where I found myself on the floor gasping for air (classic CF effect). Gradually 65# got too easy, and was replaced with 75#, 85# etc. I think, back then, I did 2 or 3 of the scaled Fran's for every one of the Rx'd.

You are your own Black Box. Keep experimenting, and good luck.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:20 AM   #5
Siddharth Sawkar

Profile:

Appreciate the responses folks!

Craig: exactly why I'm doing deadhang right now- I'm working on kipping, but it's not exactly there yet. I certainly don't consider it cheating. FWIW, Kipping vs. Deadhang is one of the few topics that are easy to search on and get good results

Steven: So I understand now after reading another board that this was a metcon that was supposed to be finished within a 6-8 minute. But the time window for each metcon will be different, no? How does one figure out what is the appropriate window?

William: That is a fantastic idea, and one which I will start using with today's WOD, Badger. I understand the idea of myself as a black box, but it's ideas like this that really help drive it home.

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen!

/Siddharth
Old 12-19-2007, 09:04 AM   #6
Lewis Dunn

Profile:

Good answers so far, and I’ll add one more thought. I think how you approach a WOD like Fran can also depend on what other WODs you do and how well you do at them. When I started a few years ago, I quickly realized that I could do very well on metcons that didn’t involve pushing around a lot of weight (think Filthy Fifty, Kelly, Helen, any running or rowing). But my strength sucked and WODs like Fran or Grace would take forever. While I definitely focused on ME stuff to build my strength, I also decided to generally to rely on the “lighter” WODs for metcon and to just do WODs like Fran and Grace as RX’d and make them work my weakness. And even if doing them at full weight drags out the time, it’s not like you are getting no metcon benefit. Get it done as fast as you can and you’ll still be a gasping mess at the end.

Just another 2 cents.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:07 AM   #7
Scott A Martin

Profile:

Siddharth,

It is my personal opinion that, if you want to work on strength, there are more efficient ways to go about it than doing a 30 min Fran with a heavier weight. For example, using the 30 minute time frame, I would rather spend 20 min doing some ME lifts, followed by an intense 10 min Fran, even if that meant scaling down the weight.

To answer your other question (about determining the the proper amount of time to spend on metcons), I don't think there is any clear rule and it probably depends somewhat on your level of fitness. But, consider that a 30 min Fran means you're doing 1 rep every 20 seconds. That's probably not a fast enough pace to achieve the metcon results you desire. A 10 minute Fran requires 1 rep every 6.67 seconds. That's probably more the in the area of what you should be aiming for.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:37 AM   #8
Marc McLellan

Profile:

I am taking a different approach.

I am strong so I am working as Rxed and whittling down the times. I did my Fran in just under 11 minutes in spite of tired sore legs from the damn lunges. I think taking off 2 or even 3 minutes is doable.

My kipping is getting better however the pull-up bar at the Camp Virginia gym is lousy at best. I cannot get really good repeat kips. I just do what I can.

Marc
Old 12-19-2007, 09:55 AM   #9
Tom Nguyen

Profile:

Agree with Scott: Use fran and other metcon exercises for what they were designed: As metcons. Rather than scaling up or using a weight that's too heavy to try build strength, take some time to do ME before the metcons.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:05 AM   #10
Tristan Warneke

Profile:

I worked up to doing Fran as Rx'd over the last 4+ months. I started with 75#s and did the workout every time it came up at that weight until my time was below 10 minutes. Then I upped the weight to my next goal (I went to 85#s, but you could do it in increments of 5#) and then worked 85#s until my time came back down under 10 minutes. Last night I did it for the first time as Rx'd and my time was 10:33, which to me isn't bad but can definitely be improved upon. And as far as Metcon goes, 10:33 of full tilt Fran left me breathing fire (I even forgot about my DOMS and sore legs the lungs burned so much), so I know it just gets better from here on in.

Next goal, under 8 minutes!

Not saying you have to do it this way, this is just how I went about it.