CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-07-2007, 08:38 AM   #11
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Re: Crossfit and Triathlons

You are doing everything right. Good choice too on the QR...they make great stuff. I forgot about your long ride and didn't know you had already completed some races. What the heck do you want me for? You are doing the right research, you are getting into the right gear, you are training and racing and you even did a super long ride. I find no holes in your program.

The trick now is to remain consistant, ramp up your distances but at a rate of no more than 10% per week, and get in at least one quality workout per week. The others can be based on time or distance but are essentially long distance work...except for swimming. Most swim workouts remain good hard intervals for the 4,000 meters or so total that you do each time. One day a week at the track and one good hard time trial per week. That leaves you a long run and a long bike on the weekends and then another bike and run of your choice. For the run maybe tempo or some strides and stair/hill work or maybe just some fartlek on some trails. For the bike you can do the same sort of thing with a 20 minute warm up then 10 minutes hard 10 minutes easy, 8 minutes hard 8 minutes easy, then 6 then 4 then a 20 minute cool down for the ride home. Variety me boy, insert some CrossFit philosophy into your tri workouts to stay fresh.

Keep racing. Consider cyclocross over the winter months. Join a cycling club and get faster by going faster. You become good at what you do, so do it more. Keep swimming...that is generally the weak link. Not to get a lot faster, you won't gain too much time in the water, but rather to become more efficient so that you get to the bike fresh. You gain the most time on the bike. More bricks. Practice your transitions, that time is free.

Gotta get the kids off to school.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:32 AM   #12
Jared Einstein

Profile:

I felt pretty good in what I was doing all year. It was more that I just don't know for sure if it was the right thing. I don't really have anyone to bounce ideas off of. My training partner just moved out to Arizona for the next year, so I am on the half-ironman endeavor alone. And like I have said before, I just miss crossfit while doing it, and was trying to figure out a way to throw it in there is how this post all started. I can definitely use the advice and encouragement from someone who has actually done this before, so anything you have to offer is much appreciated. Any insight from someone with experience is always a good thing. There are definitely a few little that you have mentioned along the way that I have picked up on that will certainly help me out (i.e. more bricks, even if just a mile for the legs to get used to it). I have spent some time on the transitions, including the flying start and dismount. It feels pretty good, but I can't say that I have tried it in a race yet.

I think my plan is going to be to get my body in the best shape I can by means of crossfit over the winter, while also including the swim program I am currently in, as well as some running and biking (probably once or twice a week of each). Then come end of January start with ramping up the training with some sprint and olympic distance type work, which will obviously increase my biking and running while cutting back on the crossfit. Then in April start to do my real half-ironman training program. I will hopefully put a few sprint and oly tris in there as part of my training, as well as the ideas that you just mentioned about varied but increasing distances and styles, but the ultimate goal this year is a half in september. That sound like a descent plan? Or am i just crazy and i should just freakin get on the bike and stop talking about getting on the bike. again, I have no one to talk to about this since my training partner moved, so I hope you don't mind me throwing it out there to see what you think. and i definitely dont have anyone to ask questions about crossfit and tris up until now.

And not too get you too excited because I would guess that you could go on for days from the way you talk about your love for bikes, but once I get the QR bike, what additions would you make to it. The upgrades and add-ons will have to be gradual after shelling out all that money for the bike, but it is always a good idea to have a plan on where I want to go with the bike to make it my ultimate ride. So what cool extras and upgrades should I be looking at???

there i go, i get carried away typing. thanks again.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:08 PM   #13
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:

This time of year is usually the triathlete's recovery time after a hard season of racing. A month or two of recreational stuff and a chance for the body to recuperate. Your plan for the rest of the year seems....less restful. You can hammer the CF workouts and include 1 or two swims a week, a 3 to 5 mile run per week and 1 bike per week as a spin class, stationary bike ride in front of the TV or a ride outside if you can do that in NJ in the winter...doubt it. Follow the WOD and do plenty of ME work to get your strength up, this is the time of year for that.

I'd start ramping things up in a triathlon sense in January. This will be the start of your base training and where you need to get in the miles on the bike and run and hone your swim technique. Back off the CF in January...this assumes a race season starting in April or May and gear your training toward the 3 workouts per week in each sport. Keep an eye on your resting HR when you get up in the morning. If it is 6 to 8 beats higher than normal you need more rest and should take one or two days off completely...don't even go for a swim...which is what I tend to do on rest days. Follow the 10% increase in distance per week or you may injure yourself. Continue to work strength with hill or stair work. If you have a stadium nearby use it to run stairs. Fantastic for leg strength. Use a track for running intervals and learn your pace. Just as with your 8 x 100 on the 2 minutes swim intervals, try doing 8 x 400 on the 2 minutes on the track or whatever would give you enough rest to complete the intervals. Killer workout. Bring your trainer to the track, put your bike in it and do a max effort 3 mile time trial and then hop off and run a half mile. Do that 5 times and thank Mike Pigg for the idea.

The most important thing about your bike...after how it fits you...is the wheels. A good set of wheels will serve you better than any other kind of gizmo you can attach to your bike. The HED3 tri spokes are bullet proof and you can train and race on them. Get clinchers not the tubular tires. The tubulars are better but are a pain the keister to deal with. Zipp makes great stuff and their 404's rock. Get a disc wheel for the rear if you are so inclined but you will want that on flat, windless courses. Over time you will have a quiver of wheels, bikes even depending on what kind of course you are riding. Flat, fast, windless time trial HED3 on the front and a disc on the back and I go with the Rocket TT. Pacific Crest Half with a ride that goes up over Mt. Bachelor in Oregon...the Vortex with flat spoked Zipps. The Softride has bar ends that allow me to stay aero throughout the ride and the Litespeed has STI since I have to stand up so much for the climb.

I use Speedplay pedals because they are so easy to kick into but on rides over 100 miles or so you can get hot spots at the ball of your foot. Some sort of water bottle set up on the front of your bike that you can drink from without disturbing your aero position is great on long and ultra course races. A Bento Box to stash food is good too. A behind the saddle set of water bottle cages by X Lab or whoever gets the bottles out of the airflow and clean up your aerodynamics a bit. I really like Carnac shoes but my Sidi's are also very comfortable. Don't use a pump, use the CO2 cartridges and the screw on top you can stow in an under she saddle kit. Ride with 2 tubes and 4 cartridges...or you will walk.

I have Dura Ace on all my bikes but Ultegra is just as functional...just not as shiny and light. Carbon fiber is very comfortable and light...great bike making material. Aluminum is a bit stiff but that makes all your pedal power go to the pavement. My tri bikes are 650c because I was won over by the argument that the front end is lower and thus more aerodynamic. Problem is my body is the biggest detriment to my aerodynamics and it hangs our there like a sail just as much with a 650 bike as with 700. Tri bike vs road bike...that will require your own examination of your riding style and preference. My method was to have a few of each. You may not what to go that route. Either choice is supportable.

You're going to have a busy training year.