CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-03-2007, 10:30 AM   #1
Jay Hanewinkel

Profile:
Another Marathon runner dead

Another marathon runner fell over dead in New York. WFS. I haven't seen the cause of death yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a heart attack. He was 28. With the number of these guys dying young combined with the totally unhealthy body they possess when are people going to stop holding them up as exemplars of fitness?

Triathalons, marathons, and other distance related events have nothing to do with fitness as far as I can tell. The number of people we kill every year in the army from running is quite staggering as well (I'm an army officer). We need to get rid of the outdated idea that run/bike/swim long distances has anything to do with health or fitness.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:26 AM   #2
Steve Kaspar

Profile:
Re: Another Marathon runner dead

hey jay
what sport are you a world class athlete in? its very sad and unfortunate that a yong runner trying to represent our country in the 2008 olympics passes away, but your comment on him being an unhealthy athlete is tasteless. you dont run 26 miles 385 yards on good looks and a secret recipe. its takes tons of strength. did you know anyhting about this world class athlete??? maybe he was a bear at WOD like cindy or was a bear pound for pound squatting or push presses. how about saying a prayer for this world class athlete and his family instead of saying he was unfit and unhealthy.
very tasteless post.
steve kaspar
Old 11-03-2007, 12:40 PM   #3
Jennifer Bland

Profile:

It is very sad that a 28 year old passes away. At least he was doing what he loves...running.

It just re-enforces that you never know when your time is up. Whether or not you are in shape, you can still have sme underlying problems that you are unaware of.

Jenn
Old 11-03-2007, 01:12 PM   #4
Kim Dowse

Profile:

Steve - great post. Soccer, football, basketball (to name a few)....not endurance sports, but every year you hear of one of these athletes dropping dead as well. If you have a congenital condition (that you are unaware of) you can go at anytime, anyplace.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:19 PM   #5
Nathan Holiday

Profile:

Jay,

Saying that a marathon runner possesses a 'totally unhealthy body' may be a little harsh; and I'm not sure how many runners are considered examples of exemplary fitness. I think your point that health is more than simply running, biking, or swimming long distances is correct...but they do have there place within fitness--we occasionally run 10ks for example. Im in the Army too, and i know that death is viewed differently in our community. We sometimes are a little less sensitive than our civilian counterparts, so no worries. I see where your coming from.

Steve,

You have to remember not to attack the poster. His background shouldn't have anything to do with his ideas. Empathy is key in a intellectual forum like this, don't let your anger get the best of you. Its probably better not to say anything than to say something negative...I think thats what you were trying to say, but in doing that, you were quite negative yourself.

N
Old 11-03-2007, 04:10 PM   #6
Daniel Freedman

Profile:

To Board Admins:

Please consider deleting this entire thread. It can only go downhill and has the potential to harm the CF community. People will pick sides and attack each other. Then it's on to who is the bigger creep and most insensitive. Next will come the "who said what when" recrimination phase.

There is little possibility of rational debate. I am a free speech extremist, but I think this is one of those rare instances when silence might be in order.

A fine athlete is dead. We don't know why. Let's leave it at that.

Using the death to score debating points about fitness methodologies is tasteless, to say the least.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:37 PM   #7
Mike Rosenberg

Profile:

He was a brother, he was a son.

His loss is tragic. It was announced at the beginning of the ND v. Navy game today where they offered a moment of silence.

His college coach lives down the street from me. Everyone is having a bad day.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:46 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

No reason to delete it although this has already been discussed.

wfs:
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=22321
Old 11-03-2007, 05:22 PM   #9
Kevin Hughes

Profile:

Our hearts go out to a fine young athlete in his prime. I for one salute him. Would that every CrossFitter join me.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:37 PM   #10
Aileen Reid

Profile:

I think its really sad - as someone said at least he was doing what he loved. We don't know what the real cause was. I'm sure running per se didn't kill him - you've got to die doing something. I get a bit upset at the anti running religious fervour. How about some anti sitting on the couch and swilling beer and crisps religious fervour instead!