CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-06-2007, 11:57 PM   #1
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
Critique my "Black Box" Plan:

I probably didn't do enough research to really call this a ME Black Box Template, but for lack of anything better, that's what I'm going to call it.

I've noticed that despite gains in metcon wods and other things like pullups, pushups, situps, etc., I haven't noticed any significant improvement in my CFT, aside from my shoulder press.

So I wanted to incorporate some lifts into my routine, rather than only get experience with them in the occasional WOD.

I've planned out the next month, incorporating different lifts into the 2nd WOD of the cycle, and then into the rest day as well (most likely the rest day lifts will be more form-centric than anything ... it is a rest day after all).

I have two requests of anyone reading this:
  1. Are these realistic goals for someone who still does have trouble completing many of the WODs as rx'd?
  2. As a general measurement, is my workout strategy a "healthy" one as far as over training and recovery goes? My goal is to still be 100% or close to it for the WODs... they are way too much fun.
23/m/150# - CFT 565 ( 185/125/255 )
I don't eat meat, and get a hefty portion of daily protein from supplements. I take a multi-vitamin. I don't eat junk, but I'm a long ways off from a Zone diet. I get 6-8 hours rest each night and spend the rest of my boring days in a go-nowhere cubicle.

Below is my strategy for the following month ... I intend to plan out each month like this so that I have some structure.

My CFWU consists of:
Situps 25
Pushups 20
Good Mornings @ 65# 10
Pullups 15
OHS @ 45# 10

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 1 -- (11/8 -- 11/12 -- 11/16 -- 11/20 -- 11/24 -- 11/28 )

CFWU x 3
Burgener Warmup
WOD

Day 2 -- ( 11/9 -- 11/13 -- 11/17 -- 11/21 -- 11/25 -- 11/29 )

CFWU x 3
Burgener Warmup
WOD

Back Squat -- 3-3-3-1-1-1-1 -- ( 11/9 -- 11/21 )
Push Press -- 3-3-3-1-1-1-1 -- ( 11/13 -- 11/25 )
Deadlift -- 3-3-3-1-1-1-1 -- ( 11/17 -- 11/29 )

Day 3 -- ( 11/10 -- 11/14 -- 11/18 -- 11/22 -- 11/26 -- 11/30 )

CFWU x 3
Burgener Warmup
WOD

Rest Day -- ( 11/7 -- 11/11 -- 11/15 -- 11/19 -- 11/23 -- 11/27

Burgener Warmup

Squat Clean -- 3-3-3-1-1-1-1 -- ( 11/7 -- 11/19 )
Snatch -- 3-3-3-1-1-1-1 -- ( 11/11 -- 11/23 )
OHS -- 3-3-3-1-1-1-1 -- ( 11/15 -- 11/27 )

I've made it so that I only hit each extra lift/exercise twice in a month, and allow myself room to hit most of the major lifts - OHS, Cleans, Snatches, DLs, etc.

I'm aware that the best anyone can do is give me an educated guess, since no one is the same.

I've been crossfitting for 6 months now, and only recently started posting here. In the 2-3 days I've been posting, the help has been absolutely invaluable. Thank you all for having so much knowledge and making this such a great place!
Old 11-07-2007, 05:48 AM   #2
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:
Re: Critique my "Black Box" Plan:

Get starting strength by Mark Rippetoe. That'll do you much good.

And doing max effort lifts after a WOD makes very little sense.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:07 AM   #3
Jan Bester

Profile:

My 2c..

1. Aren't ME days supposed to be just that.. Days where you just do max effort lifting? Like Leo said- you won't get the most out of strength gains if you beat yourself up in a WOD and THEN try maw effort lifts.. You're setting yourself up for injury..

2. I would advise against cutting out rest days or doing too much on rest days. Once you start doing max efforts AND WOD's following each other on consecutive days.. you're probably going to need all the rest you can get!

Unfortunately I don't know enough on the MEBB template to give very specific critique, but these are overall things I picked up on..

Good luck!
Old 11-07-2007, 09:32 AM   #4
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Elliot, that program isn't BB. It's CF w/Starting Strength wedged in and OLY practice no the rest day, and it's probably too much work.

I don't know why you're not eating meat, but you should read the nutrition forums where former vegans added meat to their diets. Search for "Jay Cohen+Meat" for a pretty good thread. Powder is ok for a supplement but not a food replacement. You're probably not getting enough calories or sleep to grow like you need to on this program. I suspect if you increased your intake of protein, carbs, and fat, you would be making gains doing only WOD (which is adequate for most here).

We don't know your specific goals beyond getting stronger, continuing to improve your metcon, and working on OLY lifts. If that's it, you need to eat and sleep more and do a modified BB program like this:

1: a) Snatch + OHS (snatch and then do 5 OHS)
b) WOD

2: a) Back squat 5x5
b) Press 5x5
c) Deadlift 1x5
(alternate w/power clean 3x5 every other week)

3: WOD

4: rest

5: a) Front squat 5x5
b) Bench 5x5
c) Weighted chin 5x5

6: WOD

7: a) Clean
b) Push jerk 5x5
c) Back squat 5x3
d) dips

8: rest

**This is still a lot of volume. It gives you a lot of lifting and 3 WOD in two microcycles. The traditional BB programs replace the middle day of the WOD with just one ME lift. If you do that, you should be doing 5-5-5-3-3-3 instead of 3-3-3-1-1-1. Check it out at Performance Menu/CA.

Last edited by Gant Grimes : 11-07-2007 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:19 AM   #5
Franklin Shogie

Profile:

I 2nd what Gant said.

at 150lb, are you about 5ft 8in?

sleep should be at least 8 hours a night for maximum strength gains.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:31 AM   #6
Brandon Oto

Profile:

IF you do ME and metcon on the same day, it's customary to do the strength first. I don't know how much I can squat after Cindy, but it wouldn't impress anyone.

Warm up, then skill work if you're doing it, then plyo/speed work if you're doing that, then strength, then metcon, then stretching would be the theoretical very full day... it's in order of what would take away from later elements; if you lift heavy, then try to train explosiveness, you won't move very fast and won't get much out of it (try snatches at the end of a tough workout sometime); if you exhaust yourself then try to do beautiful handstands, I'm bringing my camera. Et cetera.

Listen to the rest of these guys, though.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:31 PM   #7
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Thanks guys, points well-taken.

Forgot to mention my height: I am 5'9", so I'm around average weight, I suppose.

Quote:
Get starting strength by Mark Rippetoe. That'll do you much good.
I have Starting Strength; I haven't gotten through much of the programming stuff, though.

Quote:
And doing max effort lifts after a WOD makes very little sense.
That seems to be the consensus around here... duly noted!

Quote:
I don't know why you're not eating meat, but you should read the nutrition forums where former vegans added meat to their diets. Search for "Jay Cohen+Meat" for a pretty good thread. Powder is ok for a supplement but not a food replacement. You're probably not getting enough calories or sleep to grow like you need to on this program. I suspect if you increased your intake of protein, carbs, and fat, you would be making gains doing only WOD (which is adequate for most here).
I make attempts to get protein from other sources and try to keep the supplements as just that: supplements. I know how good meat is for this sort of thing, but right now it's not an option for me, although I know it is a limiting factor in many respects. I appreciate the candor regarding that though.

Gant, thanks for all of your input. After some of the comments, I think I've planned to over train.

I'll stick with a more traditional BB template, replacing the 2nd WOD of the cycle. I'll do some light PVC stuff on my Rest days.

I guess my main issue was that I saw several areas that I wanted to improve on, mostly pertaining to my CFT score -- dl, squat and press. But I also wanted to increase things like my olys. There was a lot that I felt I needed to work on, and not enough time in the month to fit it all in.

Assuming I toss the following items into my black box for the 2nd day and pick just 1 ( correct the reps if you see fit ):

Back Squat 5-5-5-3-3-3
Push Press 5-5-5-3-3-3
Deadlift 1-1-1-1-1
Squat Clean 5-5-5-3-3-3
Snatch 5-5-5-3-3-3
OHS 5-5-5-3-3-3
Weighted Pullup 5-5-5-5-5
Front Squat 5-5-5-3-3-3

In a month I'll only end up getting work/practice on maybe 6 of the 8, and only once a piece. I guess it's a beginner's misconception that probably shows up a lot around here ... but is this enough? e.g. one ME day of Back Squats in a month?

The amateur in me says it's not enough. But I guess as long as I'm giving ME on the WODs and getting good form practice in, it should be an improvement.

Feel free to chip in some more, I appreciate all of the insight. Thanks a lot!
Old 11-07-2007, 10:51 PM   #8
Paul Crush

Profile:

Here is a link that explains the ME black box as it was originally written up.

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=3452&page=1 (WFS link)
Old 11-08-2007, 06:22 AM   #9
David Stout

Profile:

Paul's on the money with the link Elliot. That thread lays out the ME black box correctly. I would also purchase the Performance Menu Issue #3, April 2005. That's the original article.

I followed it specifically for 2 months over the summer and added PRs to all 3 lifts of the CF Total. This was after stalling out in early June and not increasing any lifts.

So it definitely worked for me.

Hope this helps,
David.