CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 10-08-2007, 11:08 AM   #1
Todd Richards

Profile:
Today's WOD (08 OCT 07)

I have a question about todays scaled WOD.

Today's Scaled WOD was a 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 Weighted Pullup. Since this was my first WOD, I want to make sure I did it properly.

First, from what I read, there was no difference between BigDawg, Pack, or Puppies for today. It was simply to do 7 sets of 1 Rep at Max Weight. Is that correct? If not, what is the difference between the BigDawg, Pack, and Puppies for the scaled WOD? Did I misread or misunderstand it?

Second, I did my single pullup with a weighted dip belt on, then rested a minute to two minutes in between sets. Is that the proper way this strength WOD is supposed to be executed? Do 1 set of 1 rep, rest, do another set, rest, etc., until completed?

Third, what is the science behind working toward your 1 Rep Max weight instead of starting out at that weight? Since it's a strength day, isn't it more optimal to start at your 1 rep max, then reduce the weight for each subsequent set you are unable to do your max weight anymore? Pre-fatiguing your muscles and not allowing for a maximal contraction and sub-maximal effort by building toward your 1 RM by the end of the round is counter-intuitive for strength is it not? Please educate me. I am a noobie.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:56 AM   #2
James Rudolph

Profile:
Re: Today's WOD (08 OCT 07)

I'm new as well and had questions about these workout as well. This cleared up a ton of them. Hopefully it helps you too. Once you've clicked the below link ....clink the link in the article about protocol for this kind of work out.

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#WOD8

Last edited by James Rudolph : 10-08-2007 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:00 PM   #3
Brandon Oto

Profile:

You did it right.

Even if you knew exactly what your current 1RM is for an exercise (which is impossible, unless you just checked it, which basically means you did the workout twice), you'd still want to warm up to it. Just grabbing the iron and movin 100% of your 1RM as soon as you get out of the locker room is not wise.

But again, half of the point of singles is to see how heavy you can lift today anyway.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:24 PM   #4
Todd Richards

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
You did it right.

Even if you knew exactly what your current 1RM is for an exercise (which is impossible, unless you just checked it, which basically means you did the workout twice), you'd still want to warm up to it. Just grabbing the iron and movin 100% of your 1RM as soon as you get out of the locker room is not wise.

But again, half of the point of singles is to see how heavy you can lift today anyway.
My load was: 10 / 35 / 35 / 35 / 45 / 45 / 45

* 1 round
* No kips
* Overhand Wide Grip
* Non-timed
* 1 - 2 minutes rest between 1 RM sets

Should I have started straight at 45 after my first warmup set at 10 lbs? I did 3 body weight pullups before I even touched the dip belt as a very, very light and small warmup. Should I have done more, like 10 or 15, or was the 10 lb 1st set and 3 35-lb sets a good enough warmup?

Last edited by Todd Richards : 10-08-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
Derek Maffett

Profile:

I actually did that workout a while ago, before it even came up on the WOD. I started with three rounds of the CFWU and then went to weighted chin ups.

Despite a full warm up with thirty chin ups in it and ramping up the weight slowly, I still hit 70.5 at the end. As long as you aren't doing a whole lot of volume before hand and are resting enough between sets, you're max strength shouldn't decrease much if anything from fatigue.

A warm up is about preparation for the main event, not tiring yourself out. Also, I'd rather hit 70 lbs without injury than 72 with injury. Makes sense.

Rest should be something like three or four minutes. This isn't metcon and full recovery each set is just fine. Grip can vary. Use whatever grip you like best but remember to use a different grip every once in a while. I personally prefer supinated grip, but that's just because it feels more comfortable than overhand and I'm stronger with that grip.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:01 PM   #6
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Progressions and warming up are personal thing, Todd. As long as you're remaining uninjured, feeling good, and lifting/pulling at your highest capacity, I doubt anyone's going to criticize how you choose to time and weight your sets in something as straightforward as 7x1. I'd say definitely get some ramping-up warmup sets, definitely get at least a couple at the max you can lift (whether you hit your PR or not), and beyond that, tune it how you prefer.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:02 PM   #7
George Mounce

Profile:

For 1 rep max's people have 2 ways of doing it. Some try to hit the 1RM at about the 4th rep of the singles, others warm-up then go 7 sets of 1RM.

It is easier for pull-ups but 7x1RM of a deadlift/squat will take a good hour of lifting with rest times since it is so CNS intensive.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:08 PM   #8
Todd Richards

Profile:

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I'll try to work on getting a good functional warm-up in before hand. I'll try to increase my rest time between sets beyond a minute or so, when a pure strength WOD like this comes up since you said it isn't metabolic conditioning. I think I like the 7 sets of 1 rep max that you describe as one of the two methods George. I can see your point how hard that would be to do all your sets at your 1 RM for certain advanced, compound excercises, rather than progressively increasing the weight with each set until you reach your 1RM.

Thank you all for helping a noobie out. I'm absolutely intrigued with CF. It's unlike anything I've ever read about, or learned from personal trainers. This is definitely a league above your traditional strength training of 2-3 sets, 6-10 reps.

Last edited by Todd Richards : 10-08-2007 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:26 PM   #9
Derek Maffett

Profile:

I made very impressive gains in one month. Make a log of what in general you can do now, and in two or three months, compare. You should see incredible gains.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:10 PM   #10
John A. Martinez

Profile:

Please see my work out log, and the comment section of todays WOD.