CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-14-2005, 11:56 AM   #1
Joshua F Hillis

Profile:
Hey Tom, I just wanted to say that I took notes when you got to your teaching progressions. I'd heard your swing progression before, but the clean progression was new to me.

Brilliant stuff, every bit as good as the burgener warm up is for barbell stuff.

And of course thanks 'cause I never thought about switching up the one hand/two hand moves with the same weight - really really cool. Ironically enough, since i only have one kettlebell down here in Brazil I'll be trying that with dumbbells =)
Old 09-14-2005, 01:08 PM   #2
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
No problem. The uni-lateral effect of doing thrusters with a heavy DB will be different than using a similar sized Barbell.

For those who didn't catch CF Life this past Sunday (it is now avaliable for download at www.crossfitlive.com - go to the archives section) my swing progression is

1) KB Deadlift - bell between feet, slow and smooth.
2) KB Rythmic DL - same form, but done with tempo -work up to 1 up, 1 down pace.
3) Half-Swing - Start with rhythmic DL going up the first time, then shove the kb back between your legs and behind you thighs so that your wrists are about even with the middle of your thighs. Then straighten up, thrusting your hips forward and squeezing you butt at the top. The bell will only go as high as your waist level. You should find that your swing should have a very "metronome-like" rhythm, very crisp and snappy. When your form is good, you can start thrusting harder, getting the bell to go higher and higher. But don't rush it when you're learning.

Do multiple sets of 5-10 with swings to begin with. Later, you will be able to safely do high rep sets, but it will take a while for most people to build the strength-endurance of their low back.