CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 10-25-2005, 04:18 PM   #1
Tim Weaver

Profile:
As I think I've mentioned, I had a heart attack and open heart surgery back in 1999. I hadn't been active in excercise until this year, when I thought I'd really make a good lifechange.

Well, I am now going to have to give it up.

You see, I went in for one of my routine treadmill stress-tests. Nothing unusual, or so I thought.

But, dammit, this Crossfit thing has put me in such better shape than I have ever been, I had to be on that darn treadmill for over 12 minutes in order to get my heart-rate up to the target level. In previous tests, it only took 7-8 minutes.

So, you see, I have to spend way too much time excercising in a doctor's office to make me want to continue with this evil Crossfit thing...so I have no choice but to give up Crossfit and go back to my out-of-shape-but-short-time-on-doctor-treadmill ways.

:lol: :rofl:

GOTCHA!
Old 10-25-2005, 04:42 PM   #2
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Hey, I hear that if you smoke while you're on the treadmill, it goes even quicker!
Old 10-25-2005, 05:13 PM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Try a coupld of days of dehydration followed by a pot of coffee right before the test. If that doesn't get your heart rate up, add a six-pack.

Hey Tim, you should see Crossfit Sedona now! Big change.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:27 PM   #4
Tim Weaver

Profile:
I was specifically told NOT to have caffeine before the test.

What really sucked about it all wasn't that I was out of breath that much, but that my calves / achilles tendons were so tight, that I almost had to give out because of THAT.

They don't run the treadmill flat...THAT I could have done for a while. Instead, they bump the speed and incline at 2 minute intervals. By the time I was done, it was 14% @ 3.5 mph....not a jog but I couldn't walk. My legs were screaming and I was about 8-10 bpm below target heart rate. If I hadn't hit it, they'd have had to do the chemical heart rate increase. No way....

So, I groaned and pressed onward! I hit the target and nearly yelled "Give me the f'in' shot!", THEN I had to go one more minute. That was the longest 60 seconds of any workout.

Linc, given your pretty new picture, I figured that XFit Sedona was nearing completion...but that picture is SO Sedona, if you know what I mean. :-)
Old 10-25-2005, 06:21 PM   #5
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Just tell them that next time you want to do Fran while they test you.

Lincoln - beautiful photo! Except you make that look like yoga!
Old 10-25-2005, 08:49 PM   #6
Sonia Ng

Profile:

It's a wonder this thread doesn't have 100 replies(what witht he title and all! :biggrin: )

Lincoln -- keep making your l-sits beautiful.

A beautiful l-sit is much harder to maintain then a straggly one... :happy:
Old 10-25-2005, 08:50 PM   #7
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Sonia,

I think there aren't more posts because people might be mad that I deliberately misled them. :-)
Old 10-26-2005, 08:01 AM   #8
Brian McCarrie

Profile:
Congratulations Tim!

I have a similar story. Take out the heart attack and the surgery.

I'm a runner and sometimes I do triathlons. After a half iron triathlon one time I noticed that I couldn't take a full breath. Like I couldn't fill my lungs up with air. It was weird so I made an appointment with the doctor. They put me on the treadmil. I was on the treadmil for like 15 minutes and just getting to a jog. The doctor comes in, tears a little piece of paper off of the machine and looks at it. Then he says, "get off that thing, there's nothing wrong with you". After that, the problem just kinda went away.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:07 AM   #9
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
My father had lots of health problems and one of his gifts to me is high blood pressure. When I was 47 or so I went in for a treadmill test much as Tim described. Started out pretty slow at first but the incline got so steep I had to hang on to the bar to keep from falling off. (There was a hole and some marks in the wall behind me where others had done just that). The machine goes through a specific increase of incline and speed format with the doctor taking my BP every minute or so. He told me that no one ever goes through the whole program and that finishing was not the point but just to get the HR up to a certain level. That sounded like a challenge to me so off I went. After I had gone past the 20 year old male standard the Doc was getting a bit frantic telling me that I really didn't need to finish and that he really didn't recommend that I keep going and my wife piped in "He's not going to stop. He'll pass out or die on there but he won't stop." When there was one minute left in the test he told me again I could stop but Chandra said, "You gotta be kidding." After that last minute the machine shut down and leveled back out and the doctor told me that had not been done before, (clearly no CrossFitters had been in his office before). He had to extrapolate the data to get my results because his charts didn't go for that length of time.

He said my heart was fine. Good heart, bad blood pressure. I hope the fish oil helps.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:07 AM   #10
Michael J. Joyce

Profile:
Tim, great work! I came to this thread to convince you to stay with the program... I guess you have done that yourself. Keep it up!