CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-15-2006, 08:08 AM   #1
Steve Sawyer

Profile:
Since I've started using the rings I've been getting numbness in both hands/forearms, particularly at night, and it seems to be getting worse. I suspect that it has to do with the false grip. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem before, and what you did to help it. I'll probably back off from false grip/ring work for awhile, as well as other exercises that put stress on carpal/wrist bones (ie handstand work and other wrist extension movements like holding the bar in the racked position) and see what happens. Keeping hands in as neutral position as possible for awhile. If that doesn't help I'll go see a Ortho doc.
Any other advice is welcome.
Thanks
Old 05-15-2006, 11:09 AM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
I've never experienced any carpel tunnel from gymnastics. I have got the point where my grip strength has failed because my forearms just got sore on the swinging event apparatus.
Nor have I ever gotten carpel tunnel from false grips on rings. Usually it's just the skin rubbing red or tearing off from spotted muscleups to fail or something.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:11 AM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Perhaps A LOT of holding the bar in a racked position in say a front squat might do it. More so I could see a lack of bloodflow due to that vs muscleup false grip ( unless you're doing pullups in that grip ). I've never heard of lack of bloodflow in handstand work.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:02 PM   #4
Steve Sawyer

Profile:
CTS isn't caused by lack of blood flow, it's from pressure on the median nerve where it passes through the wrist. It can be caused by numerous things, but I feel that for me, it is a combination of several factors, cheifly pressure on the ligaments and the associated inflammation for many months of activities that put their stresses in the same s general location. I don't feel that any of these activities are dangerous in themselves, but for me @220 lbs, it adds up to a lot of pressure over time. I'm just wondering what others have done for it, besides stopping the offending activities and taking NSAIDS.
Thanks,
Steve