CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-19-2007, 08:34 PM   #1
Shawn Taylor

Profile:
I have been searching thru some old posts, and found a lot of diet reccs, questions on hard gainers, etc. I did not quite find the exact type of thread I was looking for. I am mainly looking at techniques some of you use for not letting your appetite get out of hand.

For me, high intensity exercise equals a high intensity appetite. I do not mean hunger. I do not mean cravings for a comfort food or a favorite food. Those are pretty will power controllable. I mean intense appetite. The kind that makes you jealous of the wolves ripping flesh off an elk on the nature channel. Sort of a primal level urge that does not really want to listen to reason.

I am new to here, and not entirely sure if this should be on the starting or nutrition forum. But I took a guess and went here. I am sorry if it is not quite right for here.

I have been doing Crossfit for almost 15 weeks, and am having the most massive appetite that I have had in years. I have had it before in the past.

In my teens and early 20s I did a very crossfit type exercise regimen with way too much running added and some regular weight training. I had a super massive appetite then, but the metabolism where I could not gain fat.

Then, until my mid 20s I did a decent amount of running with a serious amount of weights. Again, a massive appetite, but no serious fat gain.

From my mid twenties to early thirties I did way too litte aerobic, some high intensity powerlifting type weight training, had a massive appetite, and turned into a fatty. Very strong, but a fatty none the less. When I started doing more aerobic, and watching the caloric intake, I realized the metabolism was not what it used to be! I was now prone to gaining.

I quit the heavy lifting, continued with some regular weights and running. I got rid of a lot of the fat, but lost a lot of strength and lean size. For the past few years I was stuck on the moderate intensity, moderate run typical exercise regimen. I had cravings for bad food like anyone else might, but not a beastly out of control appetite.

The crossfit intensity, plus the extra running, rowing, and bag work I have been doing makes me need a ton of sleep and have a mega appetite. I am taking in sound proportions of protein and fat, so it is not the typical USA processed carbs diet hunger. I have gained 10 pounds in the past 15 weeks. My waist is not larger, but my goal of decreasing body weight/ body fat does not seem to be working out.

My main question,
How many of you also have a massive appetite doing Crossfit?
and, for those of you that do-
If you also are faced with a prone to gain metabolism, and cannot cosume all you want without fat gain (yeah, I miss those days),
how do you control your appetite?

I have been drinking tons (not alcolhol, just non caloric fluids like water), and that is not helping.

Any and all hints and types would be welcome,-
I hope to hear from some of you with similar situations
Old 07-20-2007, 07:00 AM   #2
Steve Sheffar

Profile:
I have been trying to eat well for about 7 months and have been successful. Down to 12% from 24% BF. I eat a ton of food as well. It seems that as soon as I grocery shop it is gone. (Much like my pay cheque.)

I would recommend the zone eating style. It works for me and I consume a ton of food. Especially salads. A head of lettuce is only one block and you are very full after eating that. Have two if you are still hungry. JK!

I find that the zone really fuels me and at the same time allows for fat loss. On a the zone you are eating 5-6 meals a day. That really helps curve hunger.

Do a ZONE/Dr.Barry Sears search and you will get some great info.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:30 AM   #3
Kevin McKay

Profile:
I made a very simple paleo guide to eating here
wfs
http://www.simplefit.org/nutrition.html
Old 07-21-2007, 07:39 AM   #4
Steve Gallo

Profile:
Shawn,you might want to check out the warrior diet off pavels website. I have the ebook, I did the diet for about a year, but then switched because I couldn't cook for myself anymore (college). I was very happy with it though, and it sounds like it might work well for you. You can read the details for yourself, but I will say I've never been so satisfied by a meal, when you eat on the warrior diet, you don't just get full, you actually feel like you've given your body everything it needs to be healthy.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
Brad Davis

Profile:
"How many of you also have a massive appetite doing Crossfit?"

Yep, that's me! I recover a lot faster when I eat more, so I usually eat a little more than my BMR and I still feel fairly deprived. I gained about 10 lb doing CF-like workouts over the last 8 months or so. I'd say it's about as much fat as muscle. My performance is a lot better, so I'm not too worked up over the fat.

My only suggestion is to try and eat as cleanly as possible. Might try Steve's suggestion also.

I read the numerous posts from folks eating very tight diets around here and really wonder how they do it and still recover from their workouts.

(Message edited by dbradd on July 21, 2007)
Old 07-21-2007, 10:53 AM   #6
Shawn Taylor

Profile:
Thank you for the responses. I have been using the zone proportions but cannot get in enough meals a day.

I did high protein, but simply had no energy to work out.

overall reduced calories on the typical american diet with no luck either.

I used to by default end up on something similar to the warrior diet, (zone proportion snacks/bars during day work with a meal at night), and had the best results on that. I have had my best results when ending up on that.

I am going to definately get that book and maybe try it on purpose instead of by default!