CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-09-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
Stephen Kichuk

Profile:  
I'm quite interested in reading about fat loss that comes not from caloric reduction, but rather from a redistribution in macronutrient intake quantity and quality (for example, fewer carbs in favor of more protein or ditching refined carbs in favor of low GI fruits and veggies). Any links or personal experience? I assume Paleo eaters have experienced this.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:32 PM   #2
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
My experience is that decreases in body fat and decreases in carbohydrate consumption is directly proportional. As carbs go down, so does body fat. The key is to eat mostly fat and protein and eat huge amounts of green vegetables, which are very low in carbs and low GI but incredibly nutrient dense. I would cut all fruit, grains, sugar (obviously), and all other starchy foods. Eat Clean meats, nuts and seeds, tons of green vegetables (don't deemphasize this one, visually it should appear as though your diet is green vegetable based, although not calorically) and fats/oils like olive oil, coconut oil, and grass-fed butter (if you can tolerate it). I also like to throw in cold showers and mild stimulants like coffee and green tea when cutting. Hope that helped.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:44 PM   #3
Kevin McKay

Profile:
What Greg said.

If you really like fruit
* eat it after protein and fat
* choose fruit with a better glucose to fructose ratio
* never eat to much at one sitting
should be ok
Old 04-10-2007, 05:19 AM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Pretty simple: lean meat, fish, eggs, protein powder (as a condiment, ie small amounts), fish oil, nuts, seeds, olive oil (hemp, flax), vegetables, fruits, no calorie containing beverages. Stick with this 90% of the time...all is good. The body uses up a lot of energy digesting protein. Make protein the center piece of your meals and snacks. You could eat a ton of vegetables...I mean a ton, don't even worry about calories from vegetables. 4 teaspoons of fish oil a day, 15 nuts (almonds or walnuts are best) or so per meal. Your done. Either eat 5 times a day evenly spaced or compress all your eating into 5 hours or so (intermittent fasting). When possible eat high quality grass fed meats and organic produce. Take a multi-vitamin for insurance. This is really all you need to know about nutrition...now go train!
Old 04-10-2007, 11:26 AM   #5
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
"This is all you really need to know about nutrition..."

So true, Larry. I find it amusing when people go for Ph. D's in nutrition, when it can really be summed up in one paragraph. Of course there are some mod's that need to take place with certain disease (heart disease, diabetes, etc) but it all ultimately revolves are one central theme: Eat how you were designed.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:51 PM   #6
Joshua Bird

Profile:
I have been on zone now with great results over the first 5 weeks (Down from 216 to 205). I have cut out grains as much as possible, with the exception of oatmeal for breakfast and 6" turkey/ham on wheat @ subway. Anyone have any breakfast ideas that are convenient and veggie based carb options rather than grain based?
Old 04-11-2007, 05:30 AM   #7
Paul Symes

Profile:
My favourite is bacon and avocado salad with slices of orange. It tastes much better than it might sound.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:32 AM   #8
Tim Dewey

Profile:
As to breakfast ideas, I ike to take some leftover meat, whatever is avail and on hand, around 2 oz or so, put it in a microwaveabe bowl,throw in some frozen veg or your choice (mine being frozen spinach and chopped brocolli), cook till veg are done, pour out the excess liquid, season to taste, pour two eggs (or egg sub) over the top, and I use a pinch of feta ch for flavor, others might omit this, and nuke again. Comes out the consistency of a crustless quiche. A bowl of berries on the side completes it.You will also need something for the fat blocks if you are strict zoning it, but nuts come in handy there.
Tim
Old 04-11-2007, 09:55 AM   #9
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Paul, I think it sounds delicious as I love avocado and anything tastes good with bacon. Care to share the recipe? Is it just bacon and avocado with oranges over top? Dressing? Lettuce?
Old 04-11-2007, 10:53 AM   #10
Paul Symes

Profile:
Hi Scott

I usually use herb salad (Baby Lollo Rosso, Baby Cos, Rocket) with avocado and dressing (just some olive oil, lemon juice, black pepper and mustard blended up) with some good quality bacon and about half an orange. The flavours of the orange and bacon go together really well.

Paul