CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-16-2010, 02:51 PM   #41
Jean Masson

Profile:
Re: Gaining weight is impossible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
If you are already decently sized and strong and are trying to get bigger, more still works but there are additional details, which will be dependent on personal goals, training style, etc.
That's what I'd like to know. I got to a point where if I eat "a lot", I just get fat and my weight barely goes up...so I end up eating less, which makes me lose that fat, and my weight remains more or less the same... (I'm doing Crossfit Football).
Old 08-16-2010, 02:53 PM   #42
Seth Leaman

Profile:

I didn't read the whole thread, so sorry if I am repeating whats been said. I also struggle gaining weight. Eating is the worst part of this lifestyle for me. I always thought it was impossible for em to gain weight too until I started really getting serious and forcing food down my throat. I get it done by drinking 2 smoothies/day with a can of coconut milk in each along with spinach, OJ, and fruit. I also drink about a pint of grassfed cream/day. With these two things combined thats like 3,500 calories. Then I eat a bunch of meat and eggs to get my protein. Usually those meals add another 1,500-2,000. I don't think I've actually been hungry in months, I just eat out of necessity. It's just a matter of how badly you want to reach your goals, and the willpower you have to get there. You're bound to gain "some" fat and bloat with a heavy diet like this, but that can easily be cut away later.

And not to burst your bubble, but a 20 lb. weight gain on 6'2" frame isn't very noticeable. If you don't want people to recognize you I suggest you man up and starting cramming food down your throat and worry about fat gains when/if it happens. Good luck man. It's not easy

Last edited by Seth Leaman : 08-16-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:54 PM   #43
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Details

How much do you weight, how tall, how old, how much sleep a night, are you rested after a nights sleep, how much sun do you get, food log, training log, what food issues or sensitivites do you have?
Old 08-16-2010, 03:01 PM   #44
Alexander Heyne

Profile:

Quote:
Details

How much do you weight, how tall, how old, how much sleep a night, are you rested after a nights sleep, how much sun do you get, food log, training log, what food issues or sensitivites do you have?
I'm 6' 2" 155 lbs, 23 years old, sleep about 8 hours a night, sleep is currently relatively terrible (not usually like this though), plenty of sun (i'm outdoors a lot in the sun, and it's beach weather), gave a sample food log on page 4, training is mostly 2 heavy days of lifting a week , Day 1 is Bent over row, deadlifts, weighted chins, Day 2 is mostly bench, some ab work, clean and press, single leg exercises and lots of glute exercises (can't squat at the moment due to some terrible knee alignment issues), Some accessory stuff i do inbetween lifting rest periods (rotator cuff, glutes, TFL stretches).

I don't consume any dairy (can't physically stomach the taste, and I've become lactose intolerant in the past 2 years), I have problems with digestion in general (coffee does the trick).

That's pretty much it
Old 08-16-2010, 03:02 PM   #45
Alexander Heyne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Leaman View Post
I didn't read the whole thread, so sorry if I am repeating whats been said. I also struggle gaining weight. Eating is the worst part of this lifestyle for me. I always thought it was impossible for em to gain weight too until I started really getting serious and forcing food down my throat. I get it done by drinking 2 smoothies/day with a can of coconut milk in each along with spinach, OJ, and fruit. I also drink about a pint of grassfed cream/day. With these two things combined thats like 3,500 calories. Then I eat a bunch of meat and eggs to get my protein. Usually those meals add another 1,500-2,000. I don't think I've actually been hungry in months, I just eat out of necessity. It's just a matter of how badly you want to reach your goals, and the willpower you have to get there. You're bound to gain "some" fat and bloat with a heavy diet like this, but that can easily be cut away later.

And not to burst your bubble, but a 20 lb. weight gain on 6'2" frame isn't very noticeable. If you don't want people to recognize you I suggest you man up and starting cramming food down your throat and worry about fat gains when/if it happens. Good luck man. It's not easy
It's possible, but I just watched some guys before/after photos of the GOMAD diet (gained around 25 lbs in a month), and he looked incredibly different (and he was 6' 5"). His face looked much fuller and more masculine.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #46
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

" training is mostly 2 heavy days of lifting a week "

CFFB has heavy lifting 4 days a week, i thought you were following that.

"can't squat at the moment due to some terrible knee alignment issues"

Is this due to a pathology or skill?

"sleep is currently relatively terrible "

This needs to be addressed quickly. If you wake up feeling tired all lthe time, go to the doctor and get a sleep study.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #47
Jean Masson

Profile:

Quote:
Details

Pretty much the same as Alexander posted above, except I'm one year younger and 180 lbs. My sleep is not great either, I can have a really hard time falling asleep sometimes which means I sometimes get very few hours of sleep.

I think this might be the problem, muscles are supposed to be built when you sleep, right? or can it also happen when you're awake and simply not working out?
Old 08-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #48
Alexander Heyne

Profile:

I'll check out CFFB.

Can't squat due to persistant knee pain this last year. Chondromalacia/patellofemoral. I guess I can but I'm afraid I'll F up and really screw my knee.

Sleep will improve, I've just been traveling a lot (just came back from west coast, leaving for china in a week).
Old 08-16-2010, 03:21 PM   #49
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

You need sleep, without it you will preforming below what you could if you got enough sleep.

Maybe steven low will comment on the patellofemoral. From what I read, I don't see how squats would be bad for it, but I would like to hear from Steven.

"I've just been traveling a lot"

That will interfere with strength gains.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:06 PM   #50
Alexander Heyne

Profile:

The traveling is short term, and after another 2 weeks I'll be establishing a solid sleep/eat/lift routine again. Although I'm still lifting heavy weekly, haven't missed any sessions while I travel.