CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 11:37 PM   #11
Donald Lee

Profile:
Re: I heard Sears is the new Nutrition Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Lewis Romer View Post
"Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar" sounds like a paleo diet to me maybe should have an expert on the paleo diet give the nutrition cert?
According to Robb Wolf, Dr. Cordaine was contacted about giving nutritional seminars for CrossFit.

Personally, I think someone versed in Sports Nutrition would be more qualified, but I wouldn't mind hearing Dr. Sears speak. I wouldn't pay much money for it, but that's just me.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:46 PM   #12
Mike ODonnell

Profile:

I have nothing bad to say about Dr Sears....as his work can speak for itself (and we all read his stuff at some point in our journey of nutritional understanding). The fact that he makes a living selling Zone bars as well, that's his biz model.

But if you want a more open discussion on dietary programming, I would say to discuss if there is such thing as a magic ratio of macronutrients for fat loss to occur....and the answer would be "No". For performance reasons you can debate nutritional strategies depending on the exercise programming involved....but I think you will also find that there is more than just one way.

Beginning with a fixed macronutrient ratio may be a good starting/learning point for those who "need" more control/structure and will not give up less than ideal food choices. Although the complexity of such a program may prove to be a downfall in the long term if they can not adapt to a sustainable approach (as the biggest reason people gain weight back, is they quit a diet...and never adopt a lifestyle solution).

Last edited by Mike ODonnell : 11-29-2009 at 11:50 PM.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:51 PM   #13
Stephen Lewis Romer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
According to Robb Wolf, Dr. Cordaine was contacted about giving nutritional seminars for CrossFit.

Personally, I think someone versed in Sports Nutrition would be more qualified, but I wouldn't mind hearing Dr. Sears speak. I wouldn't pay much money for it, but that's just me.
I do believe Sears presentation would be interesting but not worth the current price of the nutrition cert, but time will tell if we are one of the few or many.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:55 PM   #14
Stephen Lewis Romer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederic Giraud View Post
Look if you want to be badly hearted and take things out of context, there are plenty of other forums on the "intra-web"

Why did you remove :

From my quote?

Oh maybe because this actually talks about quantity control and you only want to hear about "Robb Wolf" (much respect and props to him btw) and "Paleo" since a couple of days now....

I think Dr. Sears is more than well suited to give a nutritional seminar given his background ( but do you actually know what the man did? )

Again it's sad that you can't have a logical discussion on such trivial things

*edit*

Oh and sorry for feeding a troll that just wants to :stir: things....

Resuming Dr. Sears studies and theory to :

Is a complete proof of your lack of wanting to have a real discussion but rather rant about something you have absolutely no idea about.
Please check out this link and tell me does this sound like " meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar" and let us not forget about those Zone Bars

http://www.zonediet.com/ WFS

Old 11-30-2009, 12:04 AM   #15
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

If the journal videos are any indicator, they now NEED to have a test at the end of the cert because Barry is going to put some people to sleep.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:09 AM   #16
John S Park

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S Park View Post
I remember the last video I saw of Barry Spears speaking, he said that he was beginning to favor a more paleo approach and felt that the ratios weren't as important. This was a while ago though.. Still, he is the creator of the zone and it still works as a program for weight control..
nevermind wish I could edit, it was someone else, not sears I was speaking of.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:42 AM   #17
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Reading Enter the Zone I found that Barry spent more time trying to brainwash you into believing the zone was the be all and end all of diets and how magical the 3/4 P/C ratio was than actually explaining how and why it worked.

It'll be interesting to hear from people attending the cert how it goes. Keep us posted if you're attending.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:49 AM   #18
Paul Szoldra

Profile:

All of the absolute Paleo zealots in here are unbelievable. So Dr. Sears is giving the nutrition lecture now. Wow, that's amazing.

I love Robb Wolf- his research, his blog, etc. I adhere to the Paleo diet myself. But to sit here and degrade Dr. Sears is reprehensible. Robb Wolf and CrossFit have separated. Robb is moving on and forward with his book, and will be giving his own seminars with all the delightful Paleo information you crave.

CrossFit was in a position that needed to solve the dilemma of who would continue the nutrition series. Dr. Sears, accomplished author, and creator of a diet that has helped people, is more than qualified to give a talk on nutrition.

So it's not strict paleo nutrition. Then don't attend.

"Barry Sears sells Zone bars."

Key word is sells. It's so horrible to go out and dare to make money in this world. If you actually try to sell anything, you must be evil.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:09 AM   #19
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Szoldra View Post
All of the absolute Paleo zealots in here are unbelievable. So Dr. Sears is giving the nutrition lecture now. Wow, that's amazing.

I love Robb Wolf- his research, his blog, etc. I adhere to the Paleo diet myself. But to sit here and degrade Dr. Sears is reprehensible. Robb Wolf and CrossFit have separated. Robb is moving on and forward with his book, and will be giving his own seminars with all the delightful Paleo information you crave.

CrossFit was in a position that needed to solve the dilemma of who would continue the nutrition series. Dr. Sears, accomplished author, and creator of a diet that has helped people, is more than qualified to give a talk on nutrition.

So it's not strict paleo nutrition. Then don't attend.

"Barry Sears sells Zone bars."

Key word is sells. It's so horrible to go out and dare to make money in this world. If you actually try to sell anything, you must be evil.
Dude, relax.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:00 AM   #20
Paul Szoldra

Profile:

Júlíus,

I'm quite relaxed. I didn't mean to come off so strong in my post. I just think that all of these posts lately re: zone, robb wolf, "controversy"... are really trivial.

I'm just going to go and hit the wod, and eat right.

Closed Thread