CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-18-2009, 06:43 PM   #51
Matt Payne

Profile:
Re: What GHD is the Best that you have used?

Is there any challenge with someone's height (I am 6' 4") and adjusting the GHD to fit?
Old 11-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #52
John S Park

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Sorin View Post
Seth,
Great to hear from you.
As for the Sorinex FNGHD /M2:
Good questions, hopefully this helps.
Foot plate - although controversial, we have had a lot of positive response from our customers that received the original design with the round foot bar. We still offer that model if requested. But, at Sorinex, we listen to what our customers are asking for, and have a foot plate now standard on the unit. Check out www.sorinex.com early next week, we will have the new picture up there. The ones going out right now have the footplate.
Dimensions- usable space (not just actual foot print) required - 4'x7'. This is what you will need in your facility to get in and out of the unit, adjust it, and actually train on it. actual foot print is 32"x54".
Ankle Pad - adjustable for length only. Our "Tank" model http://store.sorinex.com/Glute_Ham_B...de_p/ghb-1.htm is the all bells and whistles model, that was similar to the one in the original CrossFit HQ. It is the unit we put in colleges, pro teams etc. Some of the members here on the board also have this one. That model has the multiple adjustments, band begs, storage etc, the FNGHD / M2 does not, it is a more spartan unit made for Crossfitters.

Hope this helps.

My number is or 803 978 2253 if you have questions.

Bert Sorin
Thanks for the info Bert. I'm going to try and save up for either one of those ghds..
Old 11-18-2009, 08:22 PM   #53
Jonathan Leung

Profile:

This is for anyone with the Econo Legend GHD:

How is the firmness of the pad? I'm looking for something that is relatively hard and durable. I don't want to replace the pad a year down the road.

Right now, it's a toss up between the Legend GHD and the Sorinex FNGHD. The Sorinex definitely looks sturdier, but I wonder if the extra money will be worth it just for a home gym.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #54
Seth Spritz

Profile:

Bert,
Thanks for the reply. I'll be looking forward to seeing the new picture of the Sorinex FNGHD /M2 with the added footplate when it appears on your website next week and will call you if I have any further questions.
Seth
Old 11-18-2009, 11:37 PM   #55
Mike Gin

Profile:

Bert will there be an option for the early adopters to get the new footplate?

Love the GHD - use it practically everyday.

Thanks!

Mike
Old 11-19-2009, 07:16 AM   #56
William Henniger

Profile:

Mike:

As Bert mentioned you will most likely not be able to notice a difference with the plate but if you email me: bill@roguefitness.com I can figure out a cost for a new foot plate.

Hopefully Bert posts the video where they tested the outputs with a bar vs foot plate, they used a Tendo unit I beleive. Very interesting, sure to spark a good ole debate!

Bill
Old 11-19-2009, 07:54 AM   #57
Bert Sorin

Profile:

Hey Guys,
The Sorinex FNGHD /M2 does have the ability to incorperate the new foot plate where the round bar was. We will have that retro fit upgrade up on the website soon.

As for the actual effectiveness of a typical foot plate vs. a round bar. Well, that was an intersting experiment that turned out much different than we expected. In a nutshell:
The foot bar locks the foot in, with pressure on the arch of the foot. The foot plate allows you to put pressure on the toes. By using the Tendo machine (which measure speed and power) http://store.sorinex.com/Tendo_FitroDyne_p/t-1.htm
we were able to see which foot plate (and subsequently, style) of Glute Ham Exercise creates the most force. What we found using objective data, was that when the toes were driven into the plate (calves being contracted), the power production was signicantly less than when the ankles were kept dorsi-flexed, and pressure remained on the arch area of the foot. I was shocked to here this. This is exactly opposite of that we though would happen. We video taped this, and have the data to prove it. Off the top of my head, the power difference was over 25%, I will look back at my records to get exact numbers. What we realized was, once the calves engage the pressure onto the toes, the hamstings don't work as effectively, because all of the work is automatically done with the low back, creating a hyper extended arch, and making back pain more common. When the force is in the middle of the foot, the hamstrings and glutes fire more efficiently, and more force is produced, with less low back strain. I suppose it follows the same line of reason in Oly lifting why the catapault technique creates more force than triple extension. But that's another story...

Stay tuned....
Old 11-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #58
Tom Seryak

Profile:

Very interesting, Bert. So, will there now be 2 options for the FNGHD, one with foot plate and one with bar? I would suspect that some doubters of the bar might be swayed the other way once you present your findings.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:25 PM   #59
Todd Condell

Profile:

Hey Bert,
I researched each Glute Ham Developer I could find out there and it seemed that all info pointed to yours being the best. I asked every question I could but the problem I had is I did not have access to many brands hence the reason for this post. Power was something I was interested in when I started this thread. Believe it or not on Tuesday (November 17) I placed a order for your higher end GHB which is Sorinex product number GHB-1 and I was wondering is it possible for me to get both the plate and foot bar with my new GHB which I will get in approximately 6 weeks. I can't wait to try it out.
Thanks
Todd
Old 11-19-2009, 10:09 PM   #60
Mike Gin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Henniger View Post
Mike:

As Bert mentioned you will most likely not be able to notice a difference with the plate but if you email me: bill@roguefitness.com I can figure out a cost for a new foot plate.

Hopefully Bert posts the video where they tested the outputs with a bar vs foot plate, they used a Tendo unit I beleive. Very interesting, sure to spark a good ole debate!

Bill
I think I'm just more curious than anything - I've never used a GHD other than the M2 model. I'm totally fine with the way it is. But if the plate is an affordable add-on, might be nice to have as an option.

Good stuff! Can't wait to see the test results and photos.