CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 11-16-2009, 06:10 PM   #11
Joseph Patrick

Profile:
Re: Don't call me a Crossfitter....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
Let me put it another way. I was recently having a conversation with my old Sensei. He noted that all martial arts schools are made up of 85% sheep, 10% goats, and 5% wolves. Sheep’s want to be a goat but could never be a wolf. Some goats are wolves in sheep’s clothing. And the wolves are the chosen few who are the fighters even before they came.

Crossfitters think there affiliate gym model is so new and innovative but from the beginning I have always thought running a crossfit gym is identical to a martial arts gym. I mean the business models are the same with memberships and classes etc. I think the comment my sensei made above also applies to a crossfit gym.

Crossfitters to me equal the 85% sheep. There are many wolves in crossfit but they were already that way before they started incorporating crossfit into their current fitness regime. So does that make the wolves crossfitters...

Spoken like a true crossfitter.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:40 AM   #12
Michael Travis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hoegner View Post
I like to think of myself as a bulletproof tiger.
that's not as cool as a liger... its like a lion and a tiger mixed...bred for its skills in magic
Old 11-18-2009, 07:08 AM   #13
Carlo Mattia

Profile:

hey Brian,
I have some news for you, you are a CrossFitter who practices MMA.
Don't resist man just let it happen you will see that you are more the norm than not.

FATIGUE MAKES COWARDS OUT OF MEN
Old 11-18-2009, 09:10 AM   #14
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

^
Actually just from trolling through my normal MMA forums I would say that support in the MMA community for crossfit is fading to some extent. The general basis is that it is not sport specific enough and that it is a lot of work that has little carry over for what they need. I was somewhat surprised by this because for the past few years I have thought of Crossfit as sort of the holy grail of fitness. But even I have doubted lately if this is the best training method for BJJ/MMA anymore. I have started adding in a lot more sport specific movements into my workouts and less GPP and have been seeing good results. However, this shouldn't have been an epiphany at all, but I believe the kool-aid had messed with my processor. Note, by more sport specific I do not mean more mat time or skill work, I mean more sport specific movements in my workout. Now you could still call this Crossfit I suppose, but the truth is that this type of training has been around forever, and most die hard fitters adhere to the fact that you must follow main page programming.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:58 PM   #15
John Edmondson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
I may be a closet Crossfitter. Unfortunately, I have this perception of Crossfitters that is reinforced every time I go to a Crossfit gym. The majority of the “Crossfitters” are about 130lbs, sporting some vibram five fingers, have about zero flexibility, talking about the salad they ate for lunch because it was Paleo…..need I go on. I much rather hang with the O’Lifters or MMA guys. So I think I will continue to be a closet Crossfitter, who happened to almost pull off a 5min fran as prescribed the other day….ha.
That's hilarious
Sounds like you're going to the wrong gym. I'm 180, eat pretty much whatever I want without being too stupid, wouldn't be caught dead in five-fingers, put up a 2:38 Fran last night, and include post-WOD contract/relax stretching 4 days/week in our programming. My partner is a lot like me, and a professional MMA fighter. Furthermore, your description above wouldn't describe anyone in our box. Well, maybe some of the ladies, but most of them are under 130. No five-fingers though.

Have a sunshiny day.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #16
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

There's only one guy at my CF box that wears five fingers. They'd be cooler if they had a better color scheme, he needs the camo ones.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #17
John Scott Rezendes

Profile:

Calm down, Francis. CrossFit functions exactly as the Glassman's designed it; a profitable business model whose owners enjoy going to work every day. The fact that CrossFit enables a healthy (healthier?) lifestyle is just 'nanners in the puddin'.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #18
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Travis View Post
that's not as cool as a liger... its like a lion and a tiger mixed...bred for its skills in magic
haha you watched it again a couple nights ago too?
Old 11-18-2009, 04:22 PM   #19
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Jeffery,

Which movements are you getting rid off and what sport specific ones are you replacing them with?
Old 11-18-2009, 07:29 PM   #20
Josh Groves

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
There's only one guy at my CF box that wears five fingers. They'd be cooler if they had a better color scheme, he needs the camo ones.
That's me. And I'm not 130, I'm 147

That said, I think the five fingers look retarded, but I like the way they feel when I wear them, so I wear them and think to hell with the naysayers.