CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-11-2009, 04:40 PM   #11
Walter Moyer

Profile:
Re: how to increase lung capacity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Black View Post
Sounds like a clinical definition of doing CF
Old 08-11-2009, 04:44 PM   #12
Walter Moyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Forestier View Post
30 years of smoking is a long time. I would recommend seeing a physician to determine if there is any underlying lung disease. This may also involve a respiratory assessment to clinically determine lung capacity...maybe also a stress-test.

Not that you should stop CF'ing...and the cautions to start slow are bang-on.

I've had the stress tests and lung capacity tests... not the best but no disease...and of course there is improveents... I may just check back with him.... and I like cf'ing so I am not stoping....
Old 08-11-2009, 05:30 PM   #13
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Moyer View Post
I've had the stress tests and lung capacity tests... not the best but no disease...and of course there is improveents... I may just check back with him.... and I like cf'ing so I am not stoping....
That's awesome. I didn't mean to sound grim...I was just being over-cautious.

Go for it! Be strict with your diet ie. Paleo. Do the workouts with intensity and reap the rewards. Be patient, it will improve.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:48 PM   #14
Rachel Y. B. Lindsay

Profile:

Nobody's mentioned breathing exercises, but you can improve faster by incorporating a good breathing program into your week. I particularly like a 2-cd set by Richard Freeman called Yoga Breathing.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 08-13-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:20 AM   #15
Walter Moyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Y. B. Lindsay View Post
Nobody's mentioned breathing exercises, but you can improve faster by incorporating a good breathing program into your week. I particularly like a 2-cd set by Richard Freeman called Yoga Breathing.
good idea!!! thank you
Old 08-20-2009, 10:05 PM   #16
Geoff Nyhart

Profile:

Walter, I smoked 30 years until this past Valentine's Day, similar problem with getting air the first couple months of Crossfit, but it does get much better soon enough. But, in the meantime, are you on a Paleo Diet or something close to it? Because for me, cleaning out the other junk in my system aside from tar and nicotine really allowed that oxygen to get to where I needed it quicker (and I've lost 35 pounds).
Old 08-20-2009, 10:23 PM   #17
Michael Ingley

Profile:

do stuff that makes you out of breath consistently for a really long time = increased lung capacity!
Old 08-21-2009, 02:32 AM   #18
Spence Hart

Profile:

Walter,
I started CrossFit almost 12 months ago, I had been inactive for 20 years in the physical aspect. I found out right away that I could not breathe and that my asthma(altho minor) was really hitting me hard, my trainer from the beginning scaled everything back and told me my breathing would get better over time and that we would slowly scale up my workouts as I felt I could, I did the doctor thing and tried meds but they just made me worse(weird I know), well after this 11 month time period I have gone from barely doing a scaled 9 minute WOD(almost dying) to 32 minute Filthy fifty and 36 minute Evas, both close to RX, my breathing is awesome, no more weezing or asthma hold backs, only hold back now is that I push myself to hard sometimes and thats when I have problems getting the air........ so over time your lung capacity and breathing will steadily improve..... Good Luck and enjoy CrossFit.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:49 PM   #19
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
Also, improving lung capacity is somewhat a misnomer. Ventilation generally doesn't limit aerobic exercise performance and cannot be improved much by training. You want improvements in your cardiovascular system to transport more oxygen to your muscles.
Yes. And also improvements in your muscle fiber cells' ability to do something with that oxygen. Lung capacity is usually an irrelevance.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:33 PM   #20
Luke Florin Carpenter

Profile:

You could check out crossfit endurance and add two or three or their workouts onto your regiment each week, swimming is a great way to build up lung capcity cause your required to hold your breath while your working out.