CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-15-2009, 09:20 PM   #31
Michael Henry

Profile:
Re: Swimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Martinez View Post
Also, can someone explain the high-port position while swimming? That's with the weapon in front of me? The M-16 is pretty long. Seems it might get in the way during a side-stroke.
Your weapon won't be in front of you, it should be above you, more or less. I've never heard that term, but depending on the rules of your competition, you either have to have it completely out of the water (perhaps 'high-port?') or it can drag behind you kind of out of the water. If you are holding it high, obviously grab it where you can balance it, can't remember if that's where the stock meets the lower or where the handguards meet the upper.

FWIW, I was NOT created to swim...
Old 08-15-2009, 09:37 PM   #32
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

For swimming, I liked my M4 slung diagonally across my back, preferably with a bungee cord keeping it to my body. IME the floating boots help you plane out, they're really neutrally bouyant at best. Holes in the pockets help a lot.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:32 PM   #33
John Harris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ingley View Post
the lowest belong to cross country skiers, they also have the highest VO2 max.
Ok, I had to do a quick google search to find out. It looks like the lowest ever recorded resting HR was 28 BPM for cyclist Miguel Indurain. Not surprising I guess that he's also a 5 time Tour de France winner.

I get that it's skill doesn't transfer well to other sports. I just think it's cool and important to know how to do well.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:29 AM   #34
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Harris View Post
Ok, I had to do a quick google search to find out. It looks like the lowest ever recorded resting HR was 28 BPM for cyclist Miguel Indurain. Not surprising I guess that he's also a 5 time Tour de France winner.

I get that it's skill doesn't transfer well to other sports. I just think it's cool and important to know how to do well.
And....if you're a good swimmer, it opens up a whole world of other fun sports to do, without having to worry about how poor your swimming skills are...surfing, boogie boarding, water skiing, wake boarding, tubing, kayaking, stand up paddle boarding, diving, snorkeling, sailing,......
Old 08-17-2009, 02:57 AM   #35
William Jackson

Profile:

just wanted to say that swimming is the funnest thing "almost" ever. we call it "god's cardio". not knowing how to swim is like not knowing how to drive, and the better you get at it, the more fun it is!

anyways.... i swim whenevr im not squatting. good workout without impacting recovery too severely
Old 08-17-2009, 10:47 AM   #36
Luke Florin Carpenter

Profile:

Ok so i swam competitionly since 4th grade all the way through high school and i just graduated this year. Swimming is great for increasing lung capacity as well as working every muscle in your body. If your swim workouts are set up such that they are increasing your cardio you will have really good endurance when it comes to running, the only thing is if you don't run while you swim your prone to really sore feet and shin splints. Also in order to get a good workout swimming your have to be able to swim proficiently and the only way to learn to swim well is to swim alot.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:34 PM   #37
Ryan Byrnes

Profile:

I remember a little CF Journal article where an avid CFer got his arse trapped in a crevasse and was praising the fact he had the upper body strength to pull himself out of that situation, literally. That said; say your kid falls out of a boat or get caught in a rip tide. What is one to do if they can't swim strong and guards aren't near? Sounds like a good GPP protocol to me. Second, due to the hypoxic benefits of the training it seems that any athletes interested in high altitude anything would benefit.

And whoever noted the carryover to surfing gets a high five from me!
Old 08-17-2009, 04:00 PM   #38
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Surfers are good squatters.

I think swimming fits squarely into the Crossfit mantra of "learn and play new sports". If you don't know how to swim then learn. If you already know how to swim, throw in some swimming workouts from time to time.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:51 PM   #39
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Byrnes View Post
And whoever noted the carryover to surfing gets a high five from me!
Yea! That was me! High five right back at ya!
Old 08-18-2009, 02:03 AM   #40
Nick Hoffman

Profile:

I've had a pretty lousy history with swimming. My "lessons" were basically getting thrown in the deep end of the pool by the "instructor" stood there and glared at you until you started swimming. Some other kid had to come save me while I was in the process of drowning.

Today I decided to go for a swim. I practiced freestyle and swimming under water (my biggest swimming obstacle). I've never done freestyle before (I'm sure that's pretty sad). Sometimes I'd forget to clear my noes before breathing in, which sucked. Besides that I think I did fairly decent. I moved faster than doggy paddling at least.

I'm happier about the under water swimming part, however. I went from swimming about 10ft to half the pool (still probably sad). My goal is the whole 25yds.

And that's my exciting swimming story.