CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-25-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
Luke Florin Carpenter

Profile:
Nutritional Food For College

I have two questions:
1. I will be starting college this year and I just finished up a six week summer course and i realized that college food is not very healthy. When I start college I would like to be able to eat healthier then I did for the last six weeks. Do you have any tips on what to eat at the college cafeterias and also cheap food other then top roman to buy at the store?

2. After some hard work out sessions i get almost a stomach ache in my lower abdomen. If you have more specific questions about it i can answer those, but does anyone know what this is, is it something i ate or lack of food, it happens after i finish my work out but only if they were hard work outs...any idea what this is and what to do about it?

Thanks
Old 07-25-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
Marissa Owens

Profile:
Re: Nutritional Food For College

Eating at college is tough because you have no idea what is in some of the stuff they make. For me, I rowed lightweight all 4 years and constantly had to watch what I ate. I ended up having a lot of grilled chicken and then would hit up the salad bar and steal fruit for snacks later on. I would stay away from the "prepared" meals (not sure what to call them, whatever the "special" is for the meal) because you have no idea what they were cooked in, what's in them, etc.

I guess the best thing to do is look for the "cleaner" foods... anything that doesn't look like it's been processed in some way. It's hard because there are so many awful options, it's just a matter of having some self-control when it comes to those bad-for-you foods that are always there.

Also if you have a mini-fridge in your dorm room you can always stock up on your fruits and veggies so that you have those on hand, and nuts can be kept anywhere so you can keep those around as well. I find that it's really easy to eat poorly when you simply don't have the right foods around to eat. You'll find yourself tempted to run downstairs to the vending machine if that's all that's available.

Last edited by Marissa Owens : 07-25-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: Nutritional Food For College

Scroll down to the bottom of the page, there are threads about what you are asking.

Making good food choices at college is easy, but sticking with it is tough if you can't cook. There are always healthy options, just not alot of them so it does get really bland and really boring after a short time. I ate alot of grilled chicken, to the point where I don't want to eat it anymore. But it does depend on the college, some are better than others.

As far as dorm food, +1 to what Marissa said. Fruits, veggies, nuts, nut butters, olive oil, beef jerky...saved me big time.