CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-08-2008, 12:08 PM   #1
Ryan Whipple

Profile:
Questions to all who have done Starting Strength+GOMAD

I am trying to put together my own personal lessons learned from my SS experience, and I'd like to get some feedback from others who have done Starting Strength along with a Gallon of Milk a Day. This is for my own personal edification as well as to gather advice I can pass along to others.

1. How long did you do SS?
2. How much weight did you gain?
3. How did this weight break down muscle/body fat wise?
3a. How did you measure this?
4. What improvement did you see in your lifts?
5. How long did your workouts take near the end of your SS program?
6. Is there anything you would do differently if you tried SS or a similar program again?

This is in the spirit of the "Black Box." Compiling experimental/experiential data on a program helps everyone learn, so I really appreciate any responses I get!
Old 12-08-2008, 01:10 PM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Re: Questions to all who have done Starting Strength+GOMAD

I gained 20# in a month, half fat and half muscle. From 165 to 185, 5'9".
It is hard to drink the milk, and still eat your normal day's blocks.
Broke DL and squat PRs big time, pullups/HSPUs got harder.
I stopped after that month and lost the 20# in 4 weeks by Zoning.
My DL and squat stayed at the PR level even after I lost the weight.
Pullups and HSPUs are easier again.
I feel like I am at my nominal weight right now.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:42 PM   #3
Ben Kaminski

Profile:

Here's some more information, better organized:
I did the GOMAD from Thanksgiving through New Year in 2007.
I gained 20# in a month, half fat and half muscle. From 165 to 185, 5'9".
It is hard to drink the milk, and still eat your normal day's blocks. I also enjoyed all of the holiday meals with relatives.

Broke DL and squat PRs big time, but pullups/HSPUs got harder. I am a pear-shaped person so my pants got tight especially in the thighs. I ended up buying a new wardrobe shortly after!

I stopped after that month and lost the 20# in 4 weeks by Zoning.
My DL and squat stayed at the PR level even after I lost the weight.
Pullups and HSPUs are easier again.
I feel like I am at my nominal weight right now.

All in all it is good to do once, for the experience. When it's done you can stay at that weight or not, so not much lost if you don't like it.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #4
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Whipple View Post
6. Is there anything you would do differently if you tried SS or a similar program again?
I am currently on my third SS cycle. First time through I did the standard A:squat/bench/dl B:squat/press/pc for 2 months without increasing diet a ton. Saw some good gains, but when I switched back to CF most the strength I had gained was lost. Did another 2 month cycle of A:squat/press/ Dl alt with PC B:squat/bench/back ext./chins. Saw even better gains, did it with increased diet and GOMAD this time and went from 180lbs 7-8% BF to 205lbs 12-13% BF. Stopped again and went back to CF and was doing pretty well, but had not hit my strength goals so I am back on it again only with a few tweaks to the program to make it more interesting for myself. Now I am doing: A: Squat/press/PC alt with Power Snatch and B: Squat/bench/DL alt with Back ext./ Chins. In my 4th week or so and just starting to pass up where I ended my last session. I have some lofty strength goals that I want to hit and am hoping to be consistent with the program for at least another 8 months. So with that overview...

1) first two rounds for 2 months, planing on doing this one for at least 9.
2) at the beginning of my first round I was 6'4" 175, now I am 205 so 30lbs
3) of the 30 lbs roughly 10 was fat, 20 lean body mass. All of these measurements were done on a scale that also read BF, not the most accurate thing in the world, but i would just take a ton of readings and just work with the averages.
4) Squat: 145 to 225, Press: 85 to 122.5, Bench: 155 to 202.5, DL: 195 to 250(had several resets do to ****ty anthropometry but I have been up to 275), PC: 110 to 155. All these numbers are still increasing too
5) my workouts take like 2-2.5 hours... kind of long, but my fiance and I stagger so she goes while i rest and vice versa so we get both our workouts done in the 2.5 hours so it is not as much wasted time
6) well i have changed it a little each time, but i explained that above

and for the record i still do GOMAD for the most part. I am not strict about it, but I just drink so much out of habit that I end up finishing off a gallon about every day or two...

-Robert
Old 12-08-2008, 02:46 PM   #5
Steve Yu

Profile:

Quote:

1. three months
2. 144 ---> 160, 16 pounds
3. Couldn't tell you but I was sporting a little "Muffin Top"
4. BS: +20, BP: +10 DL: +25 Press: +10
5. 'Bout an hour.
6. By the end I felt fat and slow. Next time I plan on throwing in a metcon a week just to keep my edge on.

Good thread.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #6
Patrick Skinner

Profile:

Quote:
I am trying to put together my own personal lessons learned from my SS experience, and I'd like to get some feedback from others who have done Starting Strength along with a Gallon of Milk a Day. This is for my own personal edification as well as to gather advice I can pass along to others.

This is in the spirit of the "Black Box." Compiling experimental/experiential data on a program helps everyone learn, so I really appreciate any responses I get!
1) I did SS advanced novice stage for 11 weeks. I did not do the GOMAD. I could only manage about 1/2 gallon of 2% a day. I also didn't do pure SS I had some metcons added in periodically along with playing active sports.

2) 6'1'' started at 185 finished at 191

3) Not sure of exact numbers, but i was tall and skinny before and still am. maybe a 1lb or 2 of fat was added.

4) squat 285 to 317. press 155 to 167 bench 250 to 267. DL 390 to 416.

5) bout 75mins from first step in gym to stepping out. bout 5mins rest between sets.

6) if were to do SS again I would eat wayyyy more and choke down the GOMAD no matter how bad it tasted. I think in the end I may short changed myself by not eating quite enough.

Last edited by Patrick Skinner : 12-08-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:09 PM   #7
Jeff Hendrix

Profile:

Quote:
I did it kind of on-and-off over the summer. I ended up gaining 20 lbs--probably 5-10 of which was fat (I was averaging about 6500 kcal/day)--and increased all of my lifts except the press by about 50 lbs. I never spent more than an hour in the gym doing it.

I just started again today. My best lifts were: Squat--185/5, Bench Press--165/5, Deadlift--245/5. I also did a 7 minute metcon afterwards, as I would like to keep some aspect of CrossFit involved so it won't be so tough switching gears when I come back over. I've modified my diet some since then, mostly cutting out a lot of less-than-ideal carbs and replacing it with tons of olive oil (I'm trying to keep my monounsaturated fat greater than my saturated fat intake, which is proving quite difficult while drinking so much milk! But, so far so good). I'm hoping to stay with it at least through the first week of January, so two months. I may do it longer--I would really like to see my CFT hit 700+, so that means adding another 50 lbs. or so to each of those lifts.

If this thread is still around by then, I'll try and update in a couple of months.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:20 PM   #8
Jeff Hendrix

Profile:

I'd also like to add that, after doing CF for a couple of months somewhat strictly, SS almost makes me feel lazy. I was definitely working hard in the gym (squeezing out that last set of deadlifts is a mind-crusher if the weight is right, though I think that's because I did three work sets, forgetting that Rip Rx'd two . . . woops!), but, having been home for a couple of hours, I feel ready for a short WOD.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:54 PM   #9
Ryan Whipple

Profile:

These are all very interesting and useful responses so far; thanks guys! Keep 'em coming!
Old 12-08-2008, 08:55 PM   #10
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hendrix View Post
though I think that's because I did three work sets, forgetting that Rip Rx'd two . . . woops!)
He actually Rx's only one workset for Deadlift