CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-22-2008, 07:23 PM   #31
Paul McKirdy

Profile:
Re: Not to start a flame war but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Owens View Post
I don't follow a 'diet'. I have changed my eating habits over the years and I eat smart. Lots of protein, good fats and lots of veggies. I follow a 90/10 rule. 90% of the time I am eating very, very well. 10% of the time I eat crap. It works well for me. It helps that I love fish and I love veggies.
Ding Ding Ding! And here we have the tolerance and common sense award of the day!

This is how I viewed changing what I eat as well as other unhealthy habits I won't mention. And since finding CrossFit I have now adjusted even further towards Paleo and am on the way to measuring better under the block architecture.

To the OP, I like to think of carbs as immediate energy for a boost to find more things to kill and eat . If there is plenty to kill and eat regularly then I prolly won't need as much carbs. And now I find myself eating WAY less just naturally, didn't even realize it at first, but now I find I neither desire nor require them, because I am getting enough fats oils proteins and macros, and much better performance, primarily the ability to do more work over a longer period of time.

When looking at nutrition and reading the mess that's out there on both sides of the fence just remember that the human body is a chemical engine. At its base is an electrical system that induces locomotion via hydraulics to get things to build and maintain. Rinse repeat. Then start at the most basic as someone mentioned already, our bodies MUST have amino acid chains and fat chains that the body does NOT produce. The body DOES produce glucose. Therefore back to the higher level indication of no real "need" of carbs if there is a ready supply of appropriate fats oils and proteins then there is not so much need for massive amounts of direct energy via carbs.

The best way to learn is repetition... Keep reading. Rinse Repeat.

If it's so painful why not just point people to the FAQ?
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#Nutrition0

Anywho, hope I helped a little
Old 03-22-2008, 07:57 PM   #32
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Kevin, you did raise some good questions ... but a search would probably quickly reveal that so have quite a few people before you, and probably within recent days/weeks. I'm guessing that accounts for some of the touchiness.

Plenty of well-informed people have written stellar things about Paleo as well. Take the info that you've researched and read, and form your own opinion. It's good that you're willing to try it out and inquire here, but unless you're open-minded about its effectiveness, odds are you'll just convince yourself it's not.

Zone and Paleo is the preferred diet for many, many CrossFitters, not because of rhetoric and nonsense, but because it is proven to improve performance. Whether it improves overall health, longevity, lifespan, etc.; that's more dependent on the individual, and something that none of us can really answer for you -- although Dr. Sears and many other "well-informed" individuals argue logically that insulin is the major problem, and through the controlling of it via Zone/Paleo/IF, we inherently increase our lifespans.

There are countless reports on here, over on PM, and elsewhere, about people making the transition to either Zone, Paleo, IF, or all of the above, and drastically improving their chemical health, as well as their physical performance.

Although I'm not eating optimally right now (lots and lots of milk), when I'm Fasting with Zone'ish ratios and Paleo food sources, I feel invincible, and that's not just some placebo affect either.

Your mileage may vary, because no one's body comp is the same. When in doubt, try it out (don't half-*** it), and if you really want to sell yourself on it, get some blood work done to see what is/isn't improving.

Regarding your sodium question -- I believe the FDA got that one right. I remember reading that Paleo should be pretty low salt/sodium.

If you don't buy what anyone in this thread, or what the FAQ has mentioned, there are a few CFJ issues that address nutrition more in-depth, along with tons and tons of info on the Performance Menu boards and also here. If you still don't buy it, then you can either try it for yourself or just discount it as bogus.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:06 AM   #33
Gorm Laursen

Profile:

Why hyper-complicate it???

Just try it! Dive in and if you get a headache SOOOO WHAAAAT???? Take a nap if you're low on energy or WORK YOUR WAY THROUGH IT!

ACTION will get you somewhere, and if that somewhere happens to be a wrong place for you, you'd still have gained EXPERIENCE.

It's not crossing Sahara for Christs sake, it's just stopping eating crap food.

Conservatism, non-action, over-contemplating ... all enemies of development and change.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:49 AM   #34
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorm Laursen View Post

Just try it! Dive in and if you get a headache SOOOO WHAAAAT???? Take a nap if you're low on energy or WORK YOUR WAY THROUGH IT!

ACTION will get you somewhere, and if that somewhere happens to be a wrong place for you, you'd still have gained EXPERIENCE.

Conservatism, non-action, over-contemplating ... all enemies of development and change.

That's all very ture Grom, people make excuses for everything these days bottom line, if you really want to change yourself, the way you look, feel and operate then you will get off your butt and do something about it.

Getting into the Paleo/Zone thing is a lifestyle change and people have to welcome that change and know that the first few days / week will be tuff. But the pro's out weigh the con's big time on either the Zone, Paleo or Paleo/Zone.

The first week on Paleo I was weak, sleepy, had headaches and felt like the end was near. But you suck it up, push on and understand that in the end you will be better for it.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:38 PM   #35
Sean Kane

Profile:

After all I think I am going to give the ZONE the old college try . I am set at 17 blocks and ready to go. Does anyone possibly have a more comprehensive ZONE Blocks Chart than the one in the CFJ?
Old 03-24-2008, 02:30 AM   #36
Dan Heaney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorm Laursen View Post