CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-10-2015, 06:45 AM   #1
Maurice Mayfield Jr

Profile:
Double Unders

Does anyone have any tips? They just beat me down I just don't know what to do I have watched every youtube video out there I'm lost!!!
Old 02-10-2015, 09:08 AM   #2
Jason A Smith

Profile:
Re: Double Unders

How long have you been trying to do them ?

How often do you practice skipping. Can you skip for two straight minutes doing single unders ?
Old 02-10-2015, 09:43 AM   #3
Maurice Mayfield Jr

Profile:

For about a year the most I have ever got is 5 in a row!!
Old 02-10-2015, 01:17 PM   #4
Mike Doehla

Profile:

gotta get out of your own head. What is the problem? I know it sounds ridiculous but you just need to spin a little faster and/or jump a tad higher. All rhythm.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:37 AM   #5
Jason A Smith

Profile:

I will ask again.

Do you practice them everyday ? When you skip how long do you practice.

Can you skip for two straight minutes doing single unders ?

I have rarely if ever trained full time at an affiliate but when I did people would aks how I got so proficient at doing DUs. My answer was....practice. We would do three minutes of practice and I would skip, they would get mad and walk around.

Get really proficient at just skipping for about 5 straight minutes without tripping and you will start getting better at DUs too.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #6
Alex Romero

Profile:

I got them simply by practicing. What locked it in for me was watching myself do them in a mirror. Stay relaxed focus on a single spot. People get psyched out by them thinking its a faster movement than a single under. The ONLY thing that's faster is movement of your wrists. A slightly higher hop helps as well. Make sure your rope isn't too long. Handles shouldn't be higher than your armpits
Old 02-11-2015, 11:54 AM   #7
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

1) Get a video or do it in a mirror. If your arms are too straight/elbows too far from your side, you need to fix that first. Some people are super close, some are looser, but no one good I've seen is too extended. Once you are sure your hand position is good...

2) Rope length is vital. Step on your rope with one foot and hold the handles up to your armpits. The ROPE should come to your armpits, +/- an inch, maybe, but I think it's better to be a touch long, if anything. If you're 3-4" below your armpits, you're just fighting a losing battle.

3) Practice, practice, practice, practice. Every day. If that means doing singles, so you can get enough reps to learn a smooth, rhythmic jump, and to get the feel of good hand position, good rope tension, then do that. Learn a lazy, consistent jump, about 4-5" off the floor. Like someone else said, your jump height/rhythm/pace should be all but indistinguishable from those type of singles to doubles. Work on doing a single where you give one quick, sharp "tug" on the rope, and feel how the rope's momentum will carry it the rest of the revolution. The doubles spin is just imparting that little "tug" through the entire first revolution, and then allowing the momentum to complete the second revolution. To do this, that quiet yet firm hand position is vital to maintaining the pivot point of the rope fixed, and allowing the centripetal force to do its job. If your hands are soft, moving around, that action can't take hold.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:39 PM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Just try playing with getting one using the cue of hands low and spinning the wrists. Even if you don't time it right. When you finally get the timing for one you can start trying to do a DU from a SU or a few SU. Once you get that down, you'll eventually get them connected.

Note, I actually do my DU backwards. There was a recent youtube video about skipping rope backwards and DU backwards because it eliminates the cheat of piking at the hips.

TBH, skipping rope backwards has always felt more natural to me. I can skip forwards and do some of the other silly **** like skipping forward, one foot, side to side, etc but backwards feels more natural for repetition.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:15 AM   #9
Maurice Mayfield Jr

Profile:

I practice them about 3 to 4 days a week ! Thanks for all the great info I'll try to use this tips. Hopefully I can get them rolling!
Old 02-13-2015, 11:44 AM   #10
Michael Cook

Profile:

What helped me get from 10 or so in a row to 50 consistently was doing 50 DU every day, first thing when you get into the gym. It should not take very long. Then, once you are getting the 50 done consistently in 1-2 sets, do 50 DU immediately after the wod, so you get used to doing DU when fatigued.