CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-01-2015, 02:11 AM   #11
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Weightlifting strength help please

And it can never hurt to do bar work on off days. I did when I first started weightlifting so I might have only lifted 3-4x/week but I did bar work on my off days. I still do bar work as part of my warmup (though I don't seem to do Jerk work with just a bar because I don't think of it [probably should do 3 sets]) every day.

It's generally just a set of positional snatches or cleans but you can do more to really hone in on that technique and it doesn't take a whole lot of time. If you want, you can slap on light bumpers to work it from the ground and that shouldn't take much time or hamper your recovery ( I've done it around 50% on off days of a competition taper).

This is similar to a gymnast working on basic handstands every day they have practice. I do it 6days/week but it's also matter of shoulder mobility for me.

Even on the off days I would do barwork for 10-20 minutes, it would basically get me moving, raise my heartbeat up a bit, etc. It's also something that should be done for the Jerk footwork (though less so if you stay as a Push/Squat Jerker).
Old 06-03-2015, 10:35 AM   #12
Philipp Lendner

Profile:

One thing I would like to add here is the question about recovery, which from my point of view is the key to improvements. You do not get better by working out hard, you get better by recovering from working out hard. So how much do you sleep per day? Do you have a regular time to sleep or is it all over the place? Do you find your sleep restful? I would say for most people seven hours of good sleep is the absolute minimum; eight would definitely be better. Great athlete sleep ten hours, sometimes even more.

Other issue I see is bodyfat. 8 % (if that is correct) would be pretty low for a male. However, for a female that is extreme and rarely seen. If you do that for looking good, fine, but that will probably be a problem when you try to get stronger. Your body needs reserves, or it will protect itself. Ask the people in the nutrition forum about that.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:13 PM   #13
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

If that 8% is bioimpedence, it's not really that accurate. Olga seems on the slender side though and I'm surprised she's only 5'6". Looks taller.

To note, most female Weightlifters that are 5'6" are 69kg lifters. However, they are generally pretty stocky. Jenny Arthur for example.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:23 PM   #14
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olga Akselrod View Post
I have been doing crossfit for a little over a year, ran, played tennis, went to globo gym and did weights, stayed in a very good shape all the time prior to crossfit, 5"6", 130lb, with ~8% body fat.

I'm pretty good at metcons, pretty much anything with my own bodyweight and gymnastics comes fairly easy, (pull ups, push ups, and etc ) but when it comes to barbell, my strength seems to increases veryyyy slowly, a lot slower that everything else, any suggestions/ideas why that could be?
!
O-lift work like Blair has been talking about will obviously bring up your C&J and snatch quickly, but if you want want EVERYTHING to get stronger then what do I really think you need to do? Start eating enough to gain weight. Phil is right that ultra-low body fat is not optimal for gains, and protein shakes don't help much if you aren't eating enough calories to build muscle.

If you started eating towards a bodyweight of 140 or more you'll get stronger a lot faster than you are now.

If you aren't comfortable getting bigger and more muscular then you have to be patient and try to keep slowly gaining through things like technique and neuromuscular efficiency.

BTW, your strength is actually pretty good right now for your height and weight, so don't dispair even if you want to stay at 130#.