CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-13-2007, 10:41 PM   #1
Ben Kates

Profile:
I have noticed ther are 2 places to post my workout--one on the comments section on the home page under the wod and another on the message board under workout logs. I post so that I can follow my progress--where is the best place to do this?

Also every wod has a compare to date--will that take me to the comments posted on that date so that I can look at what I posted in the past? If I miss a wod and do it later in the week what is the best way to post that? thanks in advance
ben
Old 08-13-2007, 11:09 PM   #2
Douglas W. Hathaway

Profile:
Ben,

If you're following the WOD on that day, everytime, then the comments is probably the best place to track. Clicking on the compare to date, will take you back to the last time that WOD was performed, and you can compare your results if you put it in the comments on that day.
In my own personal experience, as well as viewing others, the workout logs on the message board seem to be geared more towards people doing their own WODs, rather than following those on the main page. That way the don't have to plug up the comments with unrelated workouts, and can easily compare earlier workouts.
That's certainly not to say that you can't use a workout log on the message board for the WODs, it's just how I see it.

Hope this helped.

Doug
Old 08-14-2007, 03:54 AM   #3
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
I say both places. And a paper copy just in case.

The comment page is great when you want to compare how you did against others and also provides a quick link to check your previous session.

But I find keeping all your workouts in one central location gives you a better understanding of the big picture ... if you did a 5km run on day 1 and Fran on 2 day, would your time be the same if you did ME deadlifts on day 1 and Fran on day 2? See where I'm going?
Old 08-14-2007, 12:01 PM   #4
Ben Kates

Profile:
makes sense, thxs
Old 08-14-2007, 12:15 PM   #5
Gant Grimes

Profile:

The comments section gives me endless tired-head. If you like sifting through tons of comments, post in the comments section. It's a blog, so the comments are all over the map. The first 10 comments are by people who can't wait for the workout. The next five are people asking questions covered in the FAQ. The next five are links to the FAQ. The next dozen or so are debates about how to properly do the workouts. After 40 or so posts, people finally post up their times. Of course people are doing the workout about 8 different ways, so it's hard to compare (e.g. 95% of crossfitters seem to interpret 30 clean & jerks as 30 power cleans + push presses). It's the nature of blogging.

If you want to keep an online journal where you can post your own comments about the workout, post in the WOD section. If you know how to use the scroll bar, comparing dates is not an issue.

Like Anthony said, keep a paper journal, as well. It's good to write down your impressions of your workout as soon as you complete it.

(Message edited by gant on August 14, 2007)
Old 08-14-2007, 02:37 PM   #6
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Ben:

Everything is accurate thus far. I'd like to second Anthony's suggestion that it is helpful to keep your results in multiple places for posterity sake.

I WOULD like to give a plug to the comments section. though. Crossfit is a free program made available to any and all through the generosity of Greg and Lauren Glassman. A part of what makes it special is that some significant segment of the CF community is willing to post their results publicly for all the world to see. This provides validation for many of Coach's methods and theories, and explicitly challenges other systems or philosophies to do the same. The front page of the CF web site and the daily comments are very important to Coach. Regardless of how you reel about the "bonus material" that Gant dislikes so much, posting your results on the comments section is a small gesture, a small price to pay in support of the program and the Glassmans.

.02 from noone special, in the middle of the CF pack...
Old 08-14-2007, 02:51 PM   #7
Gant Grimes

Profile:

good point, Darrell. The least we can do for Coach (and each other) is provide the Glassmans with as much empirical data as possible in way of workout data.

All right, I just posted my 5K run, though I'm afraid it doesn't validate our program very well. I suck at running. :wallbash:
Old 08-14-2007, 07:03 PM   #8
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
To address part of the original question: If you are doing a WOD on a day besides the day it was posted, put the results on the original day it was posted. Otherwise you'll never find it again. Next year, it'll be irrelevant that you did the 8/3 workout on 8/6, but guarantee you won't remember that!
Old 08-14-2007, 07:36 PM   #9
Kevin McMillan

Profile:
another tip is to keep track of your wod's in an excel sheet. its great to post on the comments to give others something to shoot at, but alot easier to find your pb's and results in a spread sheet