CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-02-2014, 06:42 AM   #1
Thomas Cofer

Profile:
Slam ball or wall ball?

Anyone used a rogue slam ball?? Should I get that instead of a fluffy one for wall balls? I feel a slam ball could be more versatile and less expensive.....
Old 01-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #2
Clint Harris

Profile:
Re: Slam ball or wall ball?

Get yourself a 50# slam ball ... or at least 40#. That thing will rock your world. (I use the mdusa green ones - which I think I bought from Rogue - haven't tried Rogue specifically)

If you're simply getting a wall ball to throw up to a target, then IMHO it's a waste of money and you could just do the weighted basket ball.
So much more can be done with a "wall ball" and at 20#, is pretty light for a grown man. Especially one who can put what looks to be 225 or more overhead.

The problem with slam balls is that they don't bounce well, so it's tough to do things like lateral pass into a wall and catch it again, or situp's bouncing off wall etc - stuff that a "wall ball" was actually meant for.
The problems with wall balls are that they bounce, so slamming them into ground doesn't work well.
You can do "wall balls" with a slam ball no problem - I often do so because we run out of 20# wall balls all the time. It works well, if not better, but the problem here is that a slam ball @20# or even 30# isn't all that much (to slam). But as you get over that weight, using them as a wall ball would probably be hazardous.

Just my 2c
Old 01-02-2014, 10:12 AM   #3
Josh Peabody

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Cofer View Post
Anyone used a rogue slam ball?? Should I get that instead of a fluffy one for wall balls? I feel a slam ball could be more versatile and less expensive.....
We don't use Wall Balls at all at my box. We have 10, 20, 35, and 50 lb slam balls. They are much more versatile. We use them for ball slams, wall balls, weighted sit ups, various partner passes, weighted runs, etc. And as you said, they are much cheaper!
Old 01-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Love my slamballs
Old 01-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #5
Dakota Base

Profile:

Seems to be a consensus:

You can wall a slam, but you can't slam a wall...
Old 01-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #6
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

I have a 25lb wall ball and a 20lb slam ball (my 50lb I ordered shows up this week).

I use the slam ball a lot more than the wall ball. Buy a good one though.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #7
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Harris View Post
Get yourself a 50# slam ball ... or at least 40#. That thing will rock your world. (I use the mdusa green ones - which I think I bought from Rogue - haven't tried Rogue specifically)

If you're simply getting a wall ball to throw up to a target, then IMHO it's a waste of money and you could just do the weighted basket ball.
So much more can be done with a "wall ball" and at 20#, is pretty light for a grown man. Especially one who can put what looks to be 225 or more overhead.

The problem with slam balls is that they don't bounce well, so it's tough to do things like lateral pass into a wall and catch it again, or situp's bouncing off wall etc - stuff that a "wall ball" was actually meant for.
The problems with wall balls are that they bounce, so slamming them into ground doesn't work well.
You can do "wall balls" with a slam ball no problem - I often do so because we run out of 20# wall balls all the time. It works well, if not better, but the problem here is that a slam ball @20# or even 30# isn't all that much (to slam). But as you get over that weight, using them as a wall ball would probably be hazardous.

Just my 2c
Excellent post, Clint. Lots of pros and cons to consider.

"So much more can be done with a wall ball" you say?
http://www.medicineballs.com/train/exercises-drills/ (wfs)