CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-04-2005, 01:13 PM   #1
Kristi Lees

Profile:

Ok guys the oats have got to go ..... Need some exciting breakfast ideas!

Would love to hear your suggestions, or what you had this morning for breaky :happy:
Old 04-04-2005, 01:41 PM   #2
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Eggs pretty much form the staple of my breakfast.

Scrambled eggs with 4 eggs, olive oil, tiny tomatoes (pommodorini) and green peppers were one choice.

Or the same in an omellete (it tastes just as good with 2 or 3 eggs).

Right now I just eat a couple of hard boiled eggs since my kick-butt lunch salad is only 3 1/2 hours away!
Old 04-04-2005, 02:27 PM   #3
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
I do 4 scrambled eggs with real butter or EVOO, a teeny tiny bowl of oatmeal (1-1.5 blocks carbs) with 1 block of honey, and an orange. The orange tastes soooo good, it is fresh squeezed OJ! If I wanted to ditch oatmeal I would add another fruit like strawberries, but I eat it in such a small amount that I never get sick of it.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:40 PM   #4
Scott Kustes

Profile:
I don't how exciting this is, but my breakfast is 4 egg whites, 2 oz of ham, and 1/4 c cottage cheese (which isn't Paleo, so sub something else). Then I have walnuts and almonds, a pear, an orange, and a 1/2 c of pineapple.

Check out Robb's Wild Alaskan Salmon Scramble. Eggs and salmon scrambled....it's like an omelette without the difficulty of flipping the durn thing together....I usually add some green pepper and tomato to it.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:52 PM   #5
Joshua Newman

Profile:
The challenge of breakfast Paleo is largely in the protein - for whatever, reason, we're conditioned to think that only eggs (and possibly ham) make reasonable breakfast choices.

After eating Paleo for about a year (I'm about two and a half years in by now), I started experimenting with less 'breakfasty' foods in the a.m., and discovered I enjoy sliced turkey breast or leftover baked salmon in the morning at least as much as at any other time.

As sacrilegious as it may sound, I'd suggest trying 'non-breakfast' proteins in the morning, at least after the first few weeks of adjusting to a life without grains. You may be surprised by how much you like them.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:45 PM   #6
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Josh is right. I've been known to eat the leftover steak or pork or salmon from the night before for breakfast too. I typically have turkey, but my fiancee's mom sent up a ham for Easter.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:08 PM   #7
Beth Moscov

Profile:
I often eat leftover dinner too. But otherwise my staple is eggs and some fruit or some gluten free toast. I follow it up with some macadamia nuts or other nut for my fat blocks.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:41 PM   #8
Rob McBee

Profile:
I try to keep all things Zone/Paleo so for breakfast I usually have one of the following:

6 egg whites, 2 cups strawberries, 2oz. walnuts/almonds OR

4-5oz. buffalo or grass-fed beef patty, 1 1/2 apple, 2 tbsp. almond butter OR

2 cups water, 2 scoops protein powder, 1 1/2 cup blueberries, 2 tbsp. flaxseed oil
Old 04-05-2005, 05:18 AM   #9
Kristi Lees

Profile:

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I was a veggie/vegan for many years and have only recently inroduced some animal products into my diet (fish, organic chicken breast, free range eggs). So I think for now I will stick with eggs, I came up with this idea last night.

1 C berries (eaten first)
Egg whites (+1 yolk)
Cinnamon
Sprinkled with chopped almonds.... I think that should out do my oats! :happy:
Old 04-05-2005, 10:53 AM   #10
Ted Williams

Profile:
I'm all about smoked salmon in the morning...usually on on the weekends however. Weekdays I have a handful or two or mixed nuts (almonds, brazil, walnuts, etc), a small bowl of flaxseed cereal with a small amount of soy milk and blueberries and a hardboiled egg. That gets me through to about 10:30, when I have some more nuts..then lunch at 11:30 or so.

Ted