CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
David M Welton

Profile:
Physical therapy/Sciatic nerve

I injured my sciatic nerve on Aug 20th and just started PT last week. I went twice and im going twice this week. After that I was told I was going back to work. I have heard that a sciatic nerve injury could take up to 6 months to heal. I was wondering if going to the PT only 4 times will even help. I still have a lot of pain some days and most days I can deal with it with meds. What should I do? I work in law enforcement and im worried I can hurt my back even more if the doctors just put a "band-aid" on my injury. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Physical therapy/Sciatic nerve

There are alot of variables....mainly does the doctor know what he's doing, and do you follow through with what you're told to do and not do.

Who told you that you injured your sciatic nerve? Did you get an MRI?

Is this a Work Comp case? If so, I wouldn't plan on getting the optimal care for your injury. Every states policies are different, most do not favor the injured.

In 4 visits you may or may not see results....You would hope to at least seen some temporary improvement in that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M Welton View Post
I injured my sciatic nerve on Aug 20th and just started PT last week. I went twice and im going twice this week. After that I was told I was going back to work. I have heard that a sciatic nerve injury could take up to 6 months to heal. I was wondering if going to the PT only 4 times will even help. I still have a lot of pain some days and most days I can deal with it with meds. What should I do? I work in law enforcement and im worried I can hurt my back even more if the doctors just put a "band-aid" on my injury. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
David M Welton

Profile:

Yeah I got hurt at work and I have been doing everything they told me to do. I was told that I would not get an mri because they could tell somehow I did not need one. The doctor told me that I had injured my sciatic nerve because I felt pain down my leg. I have gone twice now to the pt and I dont feel any better then I did before I went. Thanks...
Old 09-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
Brian Strump

Profile:

Unless you have some motor deficit, or major sensory issues we wouldn't recommend an MRI until 4-5 treatments.

You are not getting an MRI because it's a Workers Comp case....and that is one of the biggest scams in each state. It's almost as bad as the VA hospitals.

Quote:
Yeah I got hurt at work and I have been doing everything they told me to do. I was told that I would not get an mri because they could tell somehow I did not need one. The doctor told me that I had injured my sciatic nerve because I felt pain down my leg. I have gone twice now to the pt and I dont feel any better then I did before I went. Thanks...
Old 09-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
David M Welton

Profile:

Thanks for the help! With my back still hurting like it does I don't see how only going two more times will heal my back enough to be cleared to go to work. I guess we will see...
Old 09-18-2012, 04:50 AM   #6
Brian Strump

Profile:

We are in agreement David. The thing that needs to change is you need to use your own insurance, and find your own doctor. The treating doctor needs to have treatment approved before they just continue treating you as needed....as you can imagine, many try to scam the WC system into getting disability.

There's a reason why less and less medical professionals accept Work Comp cases now.

Quote:
Thanks for the help! With my back still hurting like it does I don't see how only going two more times will heal my back enough to be cleared to go to work. I guess we will see...
Old 09-19-2012, 12:23 AM   #7
David M Welton

Profile:

Thanks for your help again. I went to the pt today and they pretty much told me I would need at least another week to see if it gets better. Lets see what the doctor has to say on Friday...
Old 09-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
David M Welton

Profile:

I was told yesterday at my Physical therapy I might have lower vertebrae lock up. They pretty much told me the last month of treatment was a waste because they were trying to fix the wrong problem!!!!! Are you serious!? I go back to my workmens comp doctor today at one to see what they say. I hope I can finally get some xrays or an mri done. What do you guys think? Thanks!
Old 09-24-2012, 03:06 AM   #9
Michael Keller

Profile:

David, you need an MRI, period.

I worked in law enforcement for 14 years and now private security, and between wearing the gun belt and riding in a cruiser for 8-12 hours per day, back issues are very common. I have bulging/degenerated/herniated discs at L4-L5-S1, and are a result of the above plus all the SWAT work I did. Don't let them refuse the MRI. X-Ray will not show what the doc needs to see.

Exercise, stretching, ice, and epidural spinal injections are your friend, but surgery is not. I manage mine by doing this, but it never goes completely away, and I refuse to do surgery, it is too risky for spinal issues unless you have weakness in your legs.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
David, you need an MRI, period.

I worked in law enforcement for 14 years and now private security, and between wearing the gun belt and riding in a cruiser for 8-12 hours per day, back issues are very common. I have bulging/degenerated/herniated discs at L4-L5-S1, and are a result of the above plus all the SWAT work I did. Don't let them refuse the MRI. X-Ray will not show what the doc needs to see.

Exercise, stretching, ice, and epidural spinal injections are your friend, but surgery is not. I manage mine by doing this, but it never goes completely away, and I refuse to do surgery, it is too risky for spinal issues unless you have weakness in your legs.
Yes, if money was no object, and the test's are cheap.

Even if it wasn't through WC, most insurance companies will require you go through a trial of treatment(either meds, or rehab) prior to authorizing it.

Also, most imaging is very overused. They may tell you if it's a herniation, but that's it. If you're not getting surgery, the exact location of the herniation, or whether it's herniated or not, should not matter much during the initial phases of a rehab program.

Would it be nice to have, sure.....but it will not be dictating most rehab programs.