CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 11-18-2006, 11:19 PM   #1
Joey McIninch

Profile:
Tim Sylvia is finally starting to impress me, Not the last round mind you, But his skills are greatly improving! Congrats
I could only say WOW as I watched GSP TAKE AWAY the welterweight belt form Matt Hughes!
An interesting tidbit though, The Spike TV show UFC all access, the show where ring girl Rachelle Leah follows the fighters for a week of training. Every fighter who has been showcased lost their next fight! Coincidence??? Maybe? Andre Arvlowski-lost to Tim Sylvia, Rich Franklin- embarassing loss to Anderson Silvia, Ronato Soboral- Chuck kicked his quick, and Matt Hughes- lost to GSP!!! Don't think I would take that UFC All Access gig if I were fighting there.....just in case!!
Old 11-18-2006, 11:45 PM   #2
Motion Macivor

Profile:
I used to be huge boxing fan but as that sport stagnated I never really got into UFC because I always thought MMA was for thugs (no offence guys). Watching GSP dismantle Hughes was absolutely amazing! That fight has completely changed the way I look at MMA. GSP is easily as skilled a fighter as Delahoya ever was and I really think this guy will stay on top for as long as he wants. That was such an amazing display of skill, speed, strength, strategy and heart I think that people will look back at this fight as one of the greatest in history.
I'm sure a lot of people with a lot more knowlege than me will disagree but I'm so stoked by what I just saw I cant believe that it was just another fight.
BTW it's really nice to see a Canadian nice guy come out on top
Old 11-19-2006, 07:59 AM   #3
Evan Fitts

Profile:
I agree that GSP's performance was nothing short of amazing. Hughes's last two fights have shown that he is not quite as invincable as everyone had thought. BJ should have taken him and GSP absolutely beat him down.

As for Sylvia, what can you say? He is the most boring champion fighting in the UFC. However, I have to give him some respect for last night's fight. I never in my wildest dreams would have thought Sylvia would have attempted several submissions on Monson. When Monson first took Sylvia down in round 3, I said to my friends "this thing is over, Monson's got him on the ground with four and a half minutes to work in this round. Submission is upcoming." But Sylvia looked good on the ground and was able to hold off that beast. Good showing for him, even though I almost fell asleep in round 5.

Last night sure did make me think how little the UFC wants any piece of Pride. The quality of fighting in Pride seems to be at a whole different level. UFC's product seems slightly watered down in comparison. For instance, Sylvia v. CroCop/Fedor? I think we all know where that one would be headed.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:32 AM   #4
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
Monson is a great grappler, but it is hard to control someone who is a foot taller and 30 pounds heavier, I never expected him to be able to pass tims guard..
GSp is the future, he is excellent at everything not excellent at one thing and capable at everything else.
why was nick diaz not on the main card?
Old 11-19-2006, 08:41 AM   #5
Melvin Newman

Profile:
GSP deserves to be champion and is the best in that weight class. Sylvia is good but not impressive he fought a guy who could not even reach his face in the guard so he had to belly punch and that left him open to submissions anyone can attempt but finishing is impressive. Tim will probably fight Bradan Vera next who is really a 205lber. Tim is a smart champion and does what he need to do to keep his belt. Joe Steveson is going to be a champion in the 155lb class.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:23 AM   #6
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
"Joe Steveson is going to be a champion in the 155lb class."

thers alot of talent at 155 , also penn is dropping back down, i think it will be while for joe to be champ.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:27 AM   #7
Evan Fitts

Profile:
BJ's website (from about 2 days ago) says he is committed to retaking his belt at 170. I think those 155 rumors may only be partially true.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:31 AM   #8
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
gsp absolutely took the title and it shouldn't have been a huge surprise to anybody who has been paying attention; sylvia is sometimes boring, sometimes surprising, but has definitely done what he needed to do to win; joe stevenson has been one of my favorites since early in his season of the ultimate fighter, but don't forget about sherk, fisher, guillard, stout or kenflo, and especially bj if he drops back down...lots of cards to be shuffled in that deck right now.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:11 AM   #9
John Seiler

Profile:
GSP was everything I thought he'd be. The wild card to me was whether or not Matt was going to take is game up another level. GSP was training with the Canadian Olympic boxing team and it showed. I think Matt's a great fighter but I don't know that he can adapt his game to the striking focus and finesse that is the future of MMA.

As for the All Access jinx, it is clear now that Rachelle Leah is a modern day Delilah.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:11 PM   #10
Joey McIninch

Profile:
Yea, I guess she is a Delilah, a sexy one too! Arlovski did cut his hair before he lost didn't he? Things that make ya go Hmmmmmm!