CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-25-2014, 10:22 AM   #21
Dare Vodusek

Profile:
Re: Has anyone built a size that looks like you lift via crossfit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Walker View Post

My own personal experience. From the summer of 2012 I trained to get really strong
What were your lifts like in 2012 and how much you've improved strength wise?
Old 06-25-2014, 06:57 PM   #22
Hakan Yilmazkaya

Profile:

Dude what you mean by via crossfit ? Crossfit football is crossfit, yes you can build size with that, also mainsite wods are crossfit too, but they wont make you look like rich froning for sure. Crossfit is a combination of powerlifting and cross training. You can built size by following programs or wods that are more into powerlifting and hypertrophy, so yes i can say it's totally doable. But you can be a succesful crossfitter by just following wods ? No it's impossible because you need to be strong and have the sufficient condition to go along with your power, you need to have everything and this is nothing that you can do without a personal program that aims to destroy your own weaknesses. I'm not a fellow crossfitter, the reason why i do crossfit is that sport is forcing you to find your weaknesses and learn about many training systems that you had no idea before. Crossfit can be the way to be a real athlete if you are willing to learn and have the eager to do it.

Edit: Many crossfitters that wanna have some size follows wendler's 531 boring but big template, you can check it. You can combine this program with appropriate crossfit metcons too, that makes you still be a crossfitter. You say you are following a split workout system and this is the only thing you should be aware of. Crossfit has powerlifting inside but not bodybuilding for sure, and split body workouts belongs to bodybuilding, following such a program gets you out of crossfit borders. You are free to follow strength and hypertrophy programs including mostly compound moves like squats, deadlifts, military presses and don't worry you will still be on the way even if you don't follow any wods, metcons etc.

Last edited by Hakan Yilmazkaya; 06-25-2014 at 07:15 PM..
Old 06-28-2014, 10:35 AM   #23
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

I think he means by following a typical WOD of the day scheme. Not going into something like outlaw or 5/3/1 or conjugate or whatever where there is specific lifting focus.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:56 AM   #24
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic Deguy View Post
If you train to perform well in Crossfit style competitions, the way you look is just collateral, the fact is that you cannot move heavy objects for reps without some decent muscle mass, so Crossfit helps to get big muscles but to a certain extent only.
If you want to be as muscular as possible, you need workouts that support this goal (ie body building).
There are TONS of things besides bodybuilding that build serious size...being honest, probably 98% of the world doesn't want to get bodybuilding big (real bodybuilding not men's health bodybuilding)

Take a look at Olympic weightlifters, strongman, powerlifters, shot putters, sprinters...obviously there are variances (i.e we all know about a fat powerlifter or WL'er, etc) but generally speaking these athletes are all carrying around LOTS of muscle, and not ridiculous amounts of fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan Yilmazkaya View Post
Dude what you mean by via crossfit ? Crossfit football is crossfit, yes you can build size with that, also mainsite wods are crossfit too, but they wont make you look like rich froning for sure. Crossfit is a combination of powerlifting and cross training. You can built size by following programs or wods that are more into powerlifting and hypertrophy, so yes i can say it's totally doable. But you can be a succesful crossfitter by just following wods ? No it's impossible because you need to be strong and have the sufficient condition to go along with your power, you need to have everything and this is nothing that you can do without a personal program that aims to destroy your own weaknesses. I'm not a fellow crossfitter, the reason why i do crossfit is that sport is forcing you to find your weaknesses and learn about many training systems that you had no idea before. Crossfit can be the way to be a real athlete if you are willing to learn and have the eager to do it.

Edit: Many crossfitters that wanna have some size follows wendler's 531 boring but big template, you can check it. You can combine this program with appropriate crossfit metcons too, that makes you still be a crossfitter. You say you are following a split workout system and this is the only thing you should be aware of. Crossfit has powerlifting inside but not bodybuilding for sure, and split body workouts belongs to bodybuilding, following such a program gets you out of crossfit borders. You are free to follow strength and hypertrophy programs including mostly compound moves like squats, deadlifts, military presses and don't worry you will still be on the way even if you don't follow any wods, metcons etc.
Lets be fair...simplifying crossfit as powerlifting and cross training...is an insult to crossfit and powerlifting. Truth be told crossfit includes far more olympic lifting than powerlifting (we all know how much crossfit loves bench pressing...)

By definition though if you don't STRICTLY only do crossfit, you aren't 100% crossfit, perfect example of this are games athletes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Rushbrook View Post
I think he means by following a typical WOD of the day scheme. Not going into something like outlaw or 5/3/1 or conjugate or whatever where there is specific lifting focus.
This was my assumption as well, that he meant no 5/3/1, not extra stuff just WOD.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:26 AM   #25
Bob Herald

Profile:

It's mind boggling to me how many people come here asking about size. Go to bb.com
Old 06-29-2014, 06:26 PM   #26
Mike Hillyer

Profile:

I started out doing CF and 5/3/1 and I was very please with the results
Old 06-30-2014, 05:59 AM   #27
Paul Coomans

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
There are TONS of things besides bodybuilding that build serious size...being honest, probably 98% of the world doesn't want to get bodybuilding big (real bodybuilding not men's health bodybuilding)
Bodybuilding training does not get you 'bodybuilding big.' To achieve that look training is just a part of it. And it's not the most significant part either.

Hypertrophy is the result of damaging muscle tissue and giving your body the time and nutrients it needs to repair the tissue and add some extra tissue just for good measure.

Many forms of training can facilitate this process but a simple barbell routine that focusses on increasing strength, with not much added in the way of training as not to interfere with recovery, is hard to beat.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:01 AM   #28
John Hansen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herald View Post
It's mind boggling to me how many people come here asking about size. Go to bb.com
I think it's a fair question. Quit pretending anyone that is interested in aesthetics doesn't belong here.

Funny how we aren't supposed to care about aesthetics yet the top Crossfitters (who are "jacked", "built", "ripped", etc) seem unable to workout with a shirt on.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:08 AM   #29
Bob Herald

Profile:

Edited
Old 07-01-2014, 09:12 AM   #30
Bob Herald

Profile:

Crossfit is touted as being about performance and function. There are more and more diet and programming questions on here, that the end goal is aesthetics and not performance per se. I believe it is our responsibility to guide them towards programming that suits their goals.

If a younger person is looking to work towards a certain goal, guide them to the right place. If he's interested in bodybuilding, he needs to do bodybuilding.

I don't go to a paleo website asking for pizza recipes